Update:  We are now offering Don't Starve Together servers in Paris, France.

I was wary of renting a server in France (I live in Wales, UK), but have found the ping times to be fine.

I notice no difference between a France/UK hosted server (just giving my feedback as a customer of theirs)

I wanted to note that there was a bit of a glitch in their billing system that I encountered today but that they got back to me and fixed it within a few hours so they are definitely responsive.  (they also explained things sufficiently that I was happy with my understanding of things, and offered me some {un-necessary} free time to compensate for the problem)  The resolution was timely, and I felt it was well-handled.

Everyone has occasional problems, we're all human, I appreciate prompt and corrective responses to said glitches.  Citadel came through on that.

Well handled.

These guys have been fantastic! The rates are really reasonable, but it is the support that is truly amazing.  Server was set up super fast and every time I have had a problem it is solved within an hour or so (I don't think they sleep at all!).  I run a pretty busy server and I've been happy with Citadel.  ;)

Hi Everyone,

We wanted to share some exciting updates and improvements we have recently done to our service,
we do carry out regular updates to our configurations but this is a big update on our part,
we wanted to share this with the Klei Community and our clients.

:willow:

The new Backup Button
We now provide a backup button that when clicked will backup all core settings and your servers game world,
this will be timestamped so you are aware of when this backup took place.

Steam Update Backups
A bug was introduced in the last month that was causing mod files to be wiped every time a server was updated, this prompted us to
implement a steam-backup and replacement feature that will actively backup your configuration and world every time you
backup your server, the configuration files will then be copied back fixing this bug for the forseeable future.

Whitelists
This feature was just implemented recently to DST in the last few months, it will now be shown in the configurable files section.

Upcoming Planned Features
We are working on a new mods section, we will add the most popular, stable mods to new mod section, you will be able to see the description of the mod, the workshop page\link where it's located for support and best of all, be able to one-click the mod to install\remove it. No more playing around with files to install mods, it will all be done for you.

australia_flag_map-256.png

We are considering a new Australian location for Don't Starve Together game hosting, if you are interested in this new location, please contact us regarding this.

Kind Regards,

Citadel Servers Team

I'm Italian and I took a server from citadel, as well as good service, I would like to congratulate the staff who had patience to understand what was wondering using google translator, then with the difficulties that entails. thanks

We are proud to announce that we are now offering a new Game Server Hosting Location.

In Bristol, United Kingdom!

We have also added a new quick backup and restore feature, so you can do a quick backup that can be restored at any time with one click of a button.

Order your British hosted Don't Starve Together Dedicated Game Server Today.

uk_flag.png

About a month ago, I bought a DST server from Citadel Servers. The server was setup almost instantly after I setup my account and the amount went through. Although, at first I did have trouble finding certain things to have my server popup on the DST list, I submitted a ticket and after about 8-10 minutes, I was assisted and helped by one of the staff. The server itself ran pretty well, even with 20 or so mods on it, and rarely got any lag spikes. If I was confused about anything, like how to get the mods working or why my world was nothing but water, I had access to the ticket system where my questions were answered pretty quickly. There were some problems though at times with timing of the tickets being answered, but honestly I only think it was because there are many others who have DST servers. Overall, I would rate the service of Citadel Servers for DST an 8/10 for performance, help and everything else.

To be honest, I have never seen such a great customer service.. They respond super fast to emails and also actually solve your problem in no time.

It is not like some customer services that they respond but waste your time for nothing. They are out there just to solve whatever the problem is. A satisfactory solution is guaranteed in less than a day.

post-243632-0-40184900-1442514811.png

We have just added Support for Don't starve Together Caves Beta with our server hosting.

This can be installed\updated to this build with one click and then just some minor tweaking.

If your wanting a shard server with DST world + Caves, you will need to order an addtional server from us to run the Shard Caves instance alongside the main DST world.

img=http://forums.kleientertainment.com/uploads/monthly_09_2015/post-243632-0-40184900-1442514811.png]

We have just added Support for Don't starve Together Caves Beta with our server hosting.

This can be installed\updated to this build with one click and then just some minor tweaking.

If your wanting a shard server with DST world + Caves, you will need to order an addtional server from us to run the Shard Caves instance alongside the main DST world.

You guys are so on the ball! You have support for a beta branch as soon as it launches. Quick question though. Will I be able to revert back to the main branch after I update? I want to check caves out, but I won't update if that means I'll be stuck on that branch.

You guys are so on the ball! You have support for a beta branch as soon as it launches. Quick question though. Will I be able to revert back to the main branch after I update? I want to check caves out, but I won't update if that means I'll be stuck on that branch.

Certainly, you can always swap back to the current\primary DST branch, although you should backup any files you want saving via our backup system.

I just wanted to let you know I've gone the distance and gotten a second server so I can try linking them up.  I've asked some questions about it in the current forum post on the new code relating to ports and connecting the two servers.  You probably should glance at it, since I'm fairly certain that I'll need your help to make it all work correctly.  (as I think there might be some port-number/fire-wall interactions that need you to be addressed)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/57890-playing-caves-beta/page-7#entry674032

If I'm mis-stating something factual there could I ask you to correct me?  Getting linked servers going correctly should be a good selling point for you.

So I wanted to leave some feedback on my journey with Citadel Servers.

Really early on September 20th I set up a server, probably 12:30am EST.  It was quick, I needed help setting up mods and they have great KB articles on that.  When I was starting up the server, though, I kept running into FMOD errors, so I put in a ticket.  I let them know that as part of my t/s I was deleting the mods, trying to narrow it down, because it would start with no mods, but any mods gave the LUA error.  His response was quick, he pointed me to their guide, but he never gave me a real answer, just pointed out I had no mods installed (which I had told him in my initial ticket).

After doing some troubleshooting on my own, I found out the FMOD error happened without mods, and it was my mod setup that was preventing the server to start.  I got that fixed, let him know the FMOD was on their side, and closed the ticket.  He had never responded again.

That night, less than 24 hours later, after a day of work, I went back to playing (about day 5) when the game became unplayable due to lag.  We had to restart.  I figured it was a mod, disabled some, we went back to playing....day 5, same thing.  I put in a ticket.  In this case, it was actually failing to find the web console file, so I tried reinstalling the server, doing the updates again, getting it a fresh install.  It still failed to find the web console.  I let them know all of this in the ticket.  An hour later he replied and said it was all working fine, I can find the console fine, when it does this it needs to be restarted, bye!  and closed the ticket.

At this point I was frustrated, because everything was NOT fine.  The web console had come back up, but for the next two days, we continued to lag out at day 5.  I work a lot, and I get maybe a few hours to play each night, if I have the energy after work.  And instead I came home from work, had to restart the server, start a new world, and maybe I would get to play an hour before it would lag out.

On the night of the 22nd I sent them another ticket, explaining this, because I again had no web console, and the game was unplayable.  I detailed the lag issues.  I asked them one last time what was going on.

7 hours later, James got back to me and said he moved my server to another server for load balancing, which "should resolve any lag issues you might have potentially have had."  So my "potential" issues, ie, he doesn't believe I ever had issues.  At that point, I cancelled my server, and moved elsewhere.

They have a great setup, and the KB is great, I just wish the customer support I had received had been as good as everyone else reports.

$12 for 4 days of unplayable madness.  It's worth it to learn a lesson.

What this guy asked^^

We have pm'd you over the Klei forums.

So I wanted to leave some feedback on my journey with Citadel Servers.

Really early on September 20th I set up a server, probably 12:30am EST.  It was quick, I needed help setting up mods and they have great KB articles on that.  When I was starting up the server, though, I kept running into FMOD errors, so I put in a ticket.  I let them know that as part of my t/s I was deleting the mods, trying to narrow it down, because it would start with no mods, but any mods gave the LUA error.  His response was quick, he pointed me to their guide, but he never gave me a real answer, just pointed out I had no mods installed (which I had told him in my initial ticket).

After doing some troubleshooting on my own, I found out the FMOD error happened without mods, and it was my mod setup that was preventing the server to start.  I got that fixed, let him know the FMOD was on their side, and closed the ticket.  He had never responded again.

That night, less than 24 hours later, after a day of work, I went back to playing (about day 5) when the game became unplayable due to lag.  We had to restart.  I figured it was a mod, disabled some, we went back to playing....day 5, same thing.  I put in a ticket.  In this case, it was actually failing to find the web console file, so I tried reinstalling the server, doing the updates again, getting it a fresh install.  It still failed to find the web console.  I let them know all of this in the ticket.  An hour later he replied and said it was all working fine, I can find the console fine, when it does this it needs to be restarted, bye!  and closed the ticket.

At this point I was frustrated, because everything was NOT fine.  The web console had come back up, but for the next two days, we continued to lag out at day 5.  I work a lot, and I get maybe a few hours to play each night, if I have the energy after work.  And instead I came home from work, had to restart the server, start a new world, and maybe I would get to play an hour before it would lag out.

On the night of the 22nd I sent them another ticket, explaining this, because I again had no web console, and the game was unplayable.  I detailed the lag issues.  I asked them one last time what was going on.

7 hours later, James got back to me and said he moved my server to another server for load balancing, which "should resolve any lag issues you might have potentially have had."  So my "potential" issues, ie, he doesn't believe I ever had issues.  At that point, I cancelled my server, and moved elsewhere.

They have a great setup, and the KB is great, I just wish the customer support I had received had been as good as everyone else reports.

$12 for 4 days of unplayable madness.  It's worth it to learn a lesson.

We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Citadel Servers.

However, our support team did try to help you given the information you provided. FMOD isn't an issue with Don't Starve Together servers, it's the sound library which Don't Starve Together uses, and a server wouldn't output sound since that's handled by the client. A server throwing FMOD errors won't affect clients playing on the server, which is why we told you that this wasn't the issue.

After you reported the server failing to find the web console file, we looked into the issue and saw that the console file was there. Usually when this type of error occurs, a simple restart is required in order to resolve the problem, so we assumed that is what solved it and informed you of that. Since we couldn't identify any other reason, we provided you with a resolution and set the ticket's status to "Resolution Provided". A ticket can be responded to or re-opened by a client at all times if their issues persist, and we urge clients to do so. Whenever we provide a resolution we change the ticket's status to reflect that, and after two days the ticket is automatically closed. If the resolution wasn't sufficient or if the problem shows up again, you can either re-open the ticket or submit a new one.

When James said that any potential lag issues you have had were resolved, he didn't mean that he didn't believe that you ever had any issues. He simply meant that any lag issues you had that were potentially caused by us (a lot of factors can cause lag on your server), had been resolved. Lag should no longer be a problem on your server.

We resolved your lag issues, and you decided to cancel your server and move elsewhere. While it's a shame that you weren't satisfied with the support we provided, please know that we did our best to help you resolve the issues you were having with the server given the information we were able to gather about it.

We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Citadel Servers.

However, our support team did try to help you given the information you provided. FMOD isn't an issue with Don't Starve Together servers, it's the sound library which Don't Starve Together uses, and a server wouldn't output sound since that's handled by the client. A server throwing FMOD errors won't affect clients playing on the server, which is why we told you that this wasn't the issue.

After you reported the server failing to find the web console file, we looked into the issue and saw that the console file was there. Usually when this type of error occurs, a simple restart is required in order to resolve the problem, so we assumed that is what solved it and informed you of that. Since we couldn't identify any other reason, we provided you with a resolution and set the ticket's status to "Resolution Provided". A ticket can be responded to or re-opened by a client at all times if their issues persist, and we urge clients to do so. Whenever we provide a resolution we change the ticket's status to reflect that, and after two days the ticket is automatically closed. If the resolution wasn't sufficient or if the problem shows up again, you can either re-open the ticket or submit a new one.

When James said that any potential lag issues you have had were resolved, he didn't mean that he didn't believe that you ever had any issues. He simply meant that any lag issues you had that were potentially caused by us (a lot of factors can cause lag on your server), had been resolved. Lag should no longer be a problem on your server.

We resolved your lag issues, and you decided to cancel your server and move elsewhere. While it's a shame that you weren't satisfied with the support we provided, please know that we did our best to help you resolve the issues you were having with the server given the information we were able to gather about it.

Okay, so there's a couple possibilities as to where the support fell short.

Here was my ticket when I had lag issues, and couldn't load the web console:

The game I was in started to lag badly, I thought it might be my side, then the other players noticed it. I noticed it on the website as well. I tried reinstalling the server when it failed to find the web console file, in case a mod had corrupted something.

It's reinstalled, reupdated, and it still won't connect to the Web Console. I tried to view the Activity to find out what's going on with the server, and it said the server failed to respond to query. The server is not showing in the list, but I'm not sure if it's because it has failed to populate a map, or due to something else because I can't see the log.

Here is the response I got an hour later.

I checked your server and all is running correctly. If it fails to find the web console log file this typically means the server should be restarted.

I just tried and connected to web console fine.

The activity feature does not work with DST servers.

Kind Regards,

James

Citadel Servers

So the main problem here is, his response is "If it fails to find the web console...the server should be restarted."  In my original ticket, I state that not only had it been restarted, it had been reinstalled, reupdated, and therefore restarted.  And I still had no web console, and the game was unable to be found.  The fact that he was able to find it an hour later, points to a possible lag issue.

Now, if he has the proper tools, some way to view the server log, the activity on the server end, he would be able to see all of this even without my saying it, and should be noticing that "gee, a freshly installed server shouldn't take that long to get started."  At this point, it is already apparent that the lag issues are not of unknown origin, because they affect multiple players, but ONLY on this server, and the server itself has issues starting.

Honestly, I left before I got a response from James that the server had been moved, because it took him 7 hours to respond.  I had no idea if he would respond, or if he was waiting for it to be temporarily functional so that he could say "It's working.  Restarting the server fixes lag problems."

As a consumer, my job is not to teach the provider about the tools they need to monitor their product, about computers, and about things like load balancing and RAM usage.  My job is to enjoy the product.  And when it became clear that the only way I could achieve resolution would be to A) do nothing and wait for you guys to fix things when they have minor issues  or B) write a technical manual and draw doodles every time I send in a ticket to make sure it's understood, since when he replied to my ticket he never addressed the fact that it was not working when I wrote the ticket, which was after it had been reinstalled.

So, I went to a host that has trained computer technicians, so I can do my basic troubleshooting, tell them what's going on if it doesn't work, and they don't skip the parts they don't understand.

Archived