How to tell which mods are server mods?

So i've been going through the mods in the workshop

http://steamcommunity.com/app/322330/workshop/

some of them trick me to believe that when installed, all connected clients will get the a certain feature. 

For example I installed the mini map mod on the server thinking that all connected clients will have a mininap, but then I realized that it's client-side only mod. lol.

So in order for me to avoid installing all the mods and finding out which ones actually work with the server, is there a way to tell whether the mod is specifically for a server?

Thanks

So i've been going through the mods in the workshop

http://steamcommunity.com/app/322330/workshop/

some of them trick me to believe that when installed, all connected clients will get the a certain feature. 

For example I installed the mini map mod on the server thinking that all connected clients will have a mininap, but then I realized that it's client-side only mod. lol.

So in order for me to avoid installing all the mods and finding out which ones actually work with the server, is there a way to tell whether the mod is specifically for a server?

Thanks

Usually, when a mod adds a custom character or item, it's not a server only mod. These mods are required by both clients and servers. If a mod makes changes to existing items or characters it could be a server only mod.

The best way to tell would be to simply ask the author when you find a mod you'd like to install or check the description. As a modder I make mine clear as to what they affect and who should download them.

Usually, when a mod adds a custom character or item, it's not a server only mod. These mods are required by both clients and servers. If a mod makes changes to existing items or characters it could be a server only mod.

The best way to tell would be to simply ask the author when you find a mod you'd like to install or check the description. As a modder I make mine clear as to what they affect and who should download them.

I see. Unfortunately 90% or even more of the modders don't provide that information.

Thanks.

@SuperProPlayer, I suggested to Peter a while back that the client_only_mod and all_clients_require_mod flags generate one of three workshop tags on the mod ("Client-only", "Server-only", "All-Clients" or something) for this purpose. So hopefully that will help. In the meantime you can look in the mod's files to see what those flags are set to.

Edit: didn't specify workshop tags, as opposed to in-game server tags

@rezecib, I think you misunderstood. The OP was trying to figure it out without having to install each mod individually. I think there should definitely be options within the auto updated that allows us to choose if a mod is Client-Only, Server-Only or All so we can search the workshop for specific styles of mods for our servers. 

What would "All-Clients" mean?

Also, are there any mods that have to be installed on the server AND the client in order for them to work?

For example, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=373991022

The description for this mod is confusing... 

"Specifically made to work in multiplayer as clients. (Host needs to enable the mod)"

Does it mean the clients have to install, and the server needs to have it installed+enabled?  :wilson_confused:

@SuperProPlayer, Global Player Icons is an All-Clients mod. The reason Sarcen worded it that way is because previous attempts to do similar things only worked for hosts, but that version got it working for everyone (assuming the host has the mod).

(as a side note, look at Global Positions. It does what Global Player Icons does, and a lot more useful stuff, including some basic map sharing).

But All-Clients mods don't need to be manually installed on both clients and server. The game uses the Steam Workshop to automatically download All-Clients mods when you join a server with them enabled.

Sarcen's mod has:

all_clients_require_mod = trueclient_only_mod = false

This means:

a) If you join a server without the mod, the mod won't load if you enable it.

b) If you join a server with the mod, you will automatically download the mod from the workshop, because you need it. If you already have it, you won't download it.

Both server and client need it to function. And practically only the host needs to enable it.

Ok so All-Clients meaning, you install it on the server and it automatically uploads the mod to the clients (The clients don't need to subscribe).

Server-only means the server doesn't upload anything, and only the server-side code/behavior is modified to some extent(?). 

I agree, if only workshop was able to filter by these 3 options, it would make our lives easier. :p

@Kzisor, No... that's exactly what the tags I suggested to Peter would do. I was just saying that until those get implemented, you just have to download and check.

Edit: Oh, okay. I edited to fix that ambiguity.

I downloaded http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/352-minimap-hud/

But I can't find

all_clients_require_mod
client_only_mod

anywhere...

all_clients_require_mod = falseclient_only_mod = true

This is for the minimap HUD mod for DST. It's "Client Only".

"All Clients" means all clients must have the mod. If it's on the workshop, then people who don't have it will automatically download it, and they can choose in the game options to auto subscribe or not. If it's not, you can't get into the server until you install it manually.

Both server only and client only don't upload/download anything. Server only means somebody joining a server won't load it from your own pc, and client only means somebody joining a server will always load it from your own pc.

Archived