Don't see server in server browser.

Hey all,

Here's what I've got:

i5, 4gb ram, decent internet connection, Server 2012r2

router has udp 10999 forwarded to my servers ip address *.*.*.251

server_token is inside /documents/klei/donotstarvetogether

settings.ini (i had issues with this one) is in the above folder also

I do not see the server on another computer

Now I figured out the issue was the dlink not saving the forwarding. Fixed that and now it shows up in the server browser and I can connect to it (even asks for password like I wanted and only has 2 slots like I wanted) but now the 

"Server Not Responding"

The server is not responding

Try yelling louder?

Error pops up. What do?

• Like 1

• Developer

We have a known issue with connecting from inside the same network as a Dedicated Server.  We will be working on a fix for this in the coming days.   I'm not sure if anyone else can suggest a work around in the mean time?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@RaubVogel7, I switched it to 10998, but that (in combination with using an alternate configuration directory) doesn't seem to be doing it for some people here. I think there might be a bug with connecting from the same network (as MarkL says) that somehow just didn't affect me.

Hello

im guessing there is some kinda bug with the Ping to server  My port is opened 10998 i checked it with a couple programs they all say its open but the log when u start the dedicated server it says  [Warning] Could not confirm port 10998 is open in the firewall.   and nothing i seems to do changes it,  Been like this since yesterday i server comes up in the browser 

Oh and i even turned the firewall off and it still does the samething

Well GL on working things out

Edited by dungdodger

I was able to resolve this problem in DD-WRT based router just by unchecking "Filter WAN NAT Redirection" option in Security tab. I know that this information isn't much but if you have DD-WRT based router I hope it helps.

Also I think that this issue is sticte related to Hairpin NAT phenomenon http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Hairpin_NAT

I had begun wondering about this myself.  My server instances have been problematic (not listed in server browser) when alternate ports are used.  I'm using an ASUS RT-N56U, Tomato firmware (Shibby's mod).  I couldn't really put a rhyme to the reason in why alternate ports wouldn't work (10997,10998).

I've disabled every security layer aside from the edge router.  As a test, I connected to my cousin's wifi (separate network), and set up forwarding using the alternate port.  Worked fine....So, connected back to my N56U network, wiped the port 10998 forwarding rule, re-created it, tested server instance using port 10998.  Boom, works.  This is a behavior I've never seen in my router, but hey, every day is a new day, new possibilities...

I'll be creating several new instances for testing / digging through the IP logs, to get a better handle on things.

I had begun wondering about this myself.  My server instances have been problematic (not listed in server browser) when alternate ports are used.  I'm using an ASUS RT-N56U, Tomato firmware (Shibby's mod).  I couldn't really put a rhyme to the reason in why alternate ports wouldn't work (10997,10998).

I've disabled every security layer aside from the edge router.  As a test, I connected to my cousin's wifi (separate network), and set up forwarding using the alternate port.  Worked fine....So, connected back to my N56U network, wiped the port 10998 forwarding rule, re-created it, tested server instance using port 10998.  Boom, works.  This is a behavior I've never seen in my router, but hey, every day is a new day, new possibilities...

I'll be creating several new instances for testing / digging through the IP logs, to get a better handle on things.

Winsyrstrife - Did you end up having to do the hairpin_nat fix or was there anything special to get this to work.  I currently have an Endless running on 10999, but am trying to run a PVP Wildreness on 10998 or any other port but it doesn't show up.  (note, i'm playing the game myself from another machine).

I have all ports open, router forwarded etc...

Anyone got tips on how to get past this issue?

Thanks,

Cattle

• Developer

I'd love to hear both positive and negative answers on how people made out solving this! We have something going in soon to help work around it on afflicted setups that can't be fixed, but knowing how many people were able to solve the problem once they knew what it was would be useful as well.

Don't worry, I made sure our network here at the office suffers from the same problem so that MarkL can feel all your pain on his dedicated server! :)

Winsyrstrife - Did you end up having to do the hairpin_nat fix or was there anything special to get this to work.

That's the thing.  I haven't changed anything on the networking side, other than recreating the forwarding rules.  Looking through the logs and the iptables rules, I see the POSTROUTING chain is already set to loopback LAN connections, so I think my real problem was a mis-configuration in the settings.ini file (perhaps server pause when empty on initial world creation).  If you're using Tomato firmware in your router, NAT Loopback is in:

Advanced > Firewall, NAT section, NAT Loopback

The choices are All, Forwarded Only, Disabled.  Default is "Forwarded Only", which should already be working if your ports have been forwarded to the appropriate LAN client.

You can leave NAT target as "Masquerade".

There should be something similar in all modern routers, though the wording for its implementation may be different.

I was faced with this problem today ( i know this is an old thread but its the most compreensive one i could find ).

I set up a dedicated server on my local network, was able to open the port in my router and everyone outside my network could find and join the server.

However, i can't even find it on the list. Not even when i search for LAN servers, or change the server to LAN mode or even direct connect ( c_connect ).

Trying to set up hairpin NAT on my router seems extremely complicated, so after some fumbling around i tried connecting to a VPN ( so my requests came from the "outside" of my network ) and that worked fine. I was able to find and join the server ( after a 10 calendar days loading screen ).

After this, somehow the server started showing up on the list but i couldn't connect ( try yelling louder ).

So my question is: was this problem actually solved and i'm having some other bug, or was this never patched?

Edited by raiser

I was faced with this problem today ( i know this is an old thread but its the most compreensive one i could find ).

I set up a dedicated server on my local network, was able to open the port in my router and everyone outside my network could find and join the server.

However, i can't even find it on the list. Not even when i search for LAN servers, or change the server to LAN mode or even direct connect ( c_connect ).

Trying to set up hairpin NAT on my router seems extremely complicated, so after some fumbling around i tried connecting to a VPN ( so my requests came from the "outside" of my network ) and that worked fine. I was able to find and join the server ( after a 10 calendar days loading screen ).

After this, somehow the server started showing up on the list but i couldn't connect ( try yelling louder ).

So my question is: was this problem actually solved and i'm having some other bug, or was this never patched?

Check the version of both your client and your server. There was an un-announced update today to version 138964. If both the client and server are not on the same version, you will NOT be able to see your server. This causes problems when they update the client and you don't know that there was an update, so you don't bother to update the server.

Is there an auto-update feature for the server, or do we just have to use steamcmd every day to make sure there were no un-announced updates?

@zootal,

Both client and server were on the same version, i keep a close eye on that.

As far as i know, there isn't an official auto-update feature but i have a script that runs automatically every day to check for updates and it has been working pretty well.

Hello everyone I just set up this server and am having some issues with it. Here is tghe log from the server.

Starting Up
Version: 138964
Current time: Sun Dec 31 22:17:37 2006

Don't Starve Together: 138964 LINUX
NNN Build Date: 2015-06-08_11-23-52
Parsing command line
Command Line Arguments:
THREAD - started 'GAClient' (3060775744)
HttpClient::ClientThread::Main()
ProfileIndex:13.75
THREAD - started 'GAClient' (3053452096)
THREAD - started 'GAClient' (3051350848)
Network tick rate: U=15(2), D=0
Network tick rate: U=30(1), D=0
OnLoadPermissionList: /home/steam/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/save/blocklist.txt (Failure)
OnLoadPermissionList: /home/steam/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/save/adminlist.txt (Failure)
OnLoadUserIdList: /home/steam/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/save/whitelist.txt (Failure)
Server token retrieved from: server_token.txt
THREAD - started 'GAClient' (3045063488)
THREAD - started 'GAClient' (3037715264)
cGame::InitializeOnMainThread
Renderer initialize: Okay
AnimManager initialize: Okay
Buffers initialize: Okay
cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()
FMOD Error: An invalid object handle was used.
GameSpecific initialize: Okay
cGame::StartPlaying
LOADING LUA
DoLuaFile scripts/main.lua
DoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/main.lua
scripts/main.lua(167,1) running main.lua

loaded modindex    
ModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence for dedicated server.

DownloadMods(0)
FMOD Error: An invalid object handle was used.
LOADING LUA SUCCESS
PlayerDeaths could not load morgue    
loaded profile    
bloom_enabled    false    
loaded saveindex    
OnFilesLoaded()    
OnUpdatePurchaseStateComplete    
    Load FE    
    Load FE: done    
ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.    
Reset() returning
[200] Account Communication Success (6)
[ACCOUNT_ACTION_TOKEN_PURPOSE] Received UserId from TokenPurpose: KU_5Zbw4xZR
Starting Dedicated Server Game    
Network tick rate: U=30(1), D=0
Setting up socket descriptors
Online Server Started on port: 10998
Collecting garbage...
lua_gc took 0.05 seconds
~NetworkLuaProxy()
~SimLuaProxy()
lua_close took 0.06 seconds
ReleaseAll
ReleaseAll Finished
cGame::StartPlaying
LOADING LUA
DoLuaFile scripts/main.lua
DoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/main.lua
scripts/main.lua(167,1) running main.lua

loaded modindex    
ModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence for dedicated server.

LOADING LUA SUCCESS
PlayerDeaths could not load morgue    
loaded profile    
bloom_enabled    false    
loaded saveindex    
OnFilesLoaded()    
OnUpdatePurchaseStateComplete    
    Unload FE    
    Unload FE done    
    LOAD BE    
Could not preload undefined prefab 0x4058bc0 (molehat)
Could not preload undefined prefab 0x20e21d7a (puppet_wes)
Could not preload undefined prefab 0x20e21d7a (puppet_wes)
AddPortMapping(10998, 10998, 192.168.2.100) failed with code 713 (SpecifiedArrayIndexInvalid)
    LOAD BE: done    
Deserialize world session from session/0000000030757970/0000000001    
Save file is at version nil    
    Upgrading to 1...    
Converting summer to autumn:    
Begin Session: 0000000030757970
saving to server_temp/server_save    
MiniMapComponent::AddAtlas( minimap/minimap_data.xml )
Loading Nav Grid    
OVERRIDE: setting    season_start    to    autumn    
Reconstructing topology    
    ...Sorting points    
    ...Sorting edges    
    ...Connecting nodes    
    ...Validating connections    
    ...Housekeeping    
    ...Done!    
1 uploads added to server. From server_temp
Telling Client our new session identifier: 0000000030757970
ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.    
Reset() returning
SteamGameServer_Init Success

The one thing I cant seem to figure out is this issue

AddPortMapping(10998, 10998, 192.168.2.100) failed with code 713 (SpecifiedArrayIndexInvalid)

I have forwarded my ports on UDP 10998 and all my routers and can see the game on LAN and it shows on https://my.jacklul.com/dstservers/ when I have the server running. I am running this on Linux Fedora 21 Server Core. Any help would be awesome ty

@zootal,

Both client and server were on the same version, i keep a close eye on that.

As far as i know, there isn't an official auto-update feature but i have a script that runs automatically every day to check for updates and it has been working pretty well.

Hello @zootal,

Can you share your script?

Can you share your script?

I was the one who said that. However, I don't have that script anymore, now I just use this command:

cd /home/steam/steamcmd && sudo ./steamcmd.sh +@ShutdownOnFailedCommand 1 +@NoPromptForPassword 1 +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/steam/steamapps/DST +app_update 343050 validade +quit

Use that with crontab and you can run it whenever you want, assuming we are talking linux, that is. Also make sure your server is closed before you try updating.

I was the one who said that. However, I don't have that script anymore, now I just use this command:

cd /home/steam/steamcmd && sudo ./steamcmd.sh +@ShutdownOnFailedCommand 1 +@NoPromptForPassword 1 +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/steam/steamapps/DST +app_update 343050 validade +quit

Use that with crontab and you can run it whenever you want, assuming we are talking linux, that is. Also make sure your server is closed before you try updating.

Thanks raiser. Indeed, I'm looking for a script that checks if there's no player and a game/mod update available and if so, shutdown/update/restart the game. I'm running Linux.

I found no "clean" way to get the update trigger infos:

• no players online: I could use http://dstservers.jacklul.com/ but it's not real time (1min update or so). I'd prefer a local solution like c_playerlist() but it returns nothing when run in CLI. Maybe we can get some info from Server Status mod with local API URL.
  • game/mods update available: at worse I would sync the whole game folder in a temporary +force_install_dir and checks for diffs with e.g. a command line diff tool. It would be preferable to get this info from steam/workshop API if any.