The Orchestra

CloakofCrow

Chapter One

The Awakening

"Ahh, so Maxwell has brought in another batch of fools I see..." a dark voice bellowed. "Let's give them a warm welcome..."

A conflict, a promise, and a curse; that is how you've arrived here. Secretly brought through the shadowy hands of death, but not unbeknownst to Kalus. As a welcoming gift, he has given you terrible nightmares.(Describe this nightmare to demonstrate your writing ability and character knowledge).

Then you are free to begin your story as you wish.

Edited by CloakofCrow

Ethel was running. From what, he could not be sure. As he ran, dodging around trees, the snapping of twigs and crushing of leaves had earlier clued him into that he was in a forest. Fighting was not an option, at least without a weapon. Suddenly, Ethel came to a grinding halt. Something had caught his hood. Desperate to escape, Ethel ditched the brown jacket.Taking off again, Ethel could here his heart racing. He didn't know how much longer he could keep this up. He'd have to stop sometime.

"Gotta... get away from it... can't let it... catch me!"

Everything went quiet. There wasn't even the sound of Ethel running along the forest floor. He heard a booming laugh in his head.

"Run all you like, you can't escape fate! I'll have you contesting my supreme power no more!"

Ethel turned around to see a blinding light catching up with him. He covered his eyes just as everything went white. Ethel let out a loud scream as the light consumed him, burning him all over his body. And then... nothing. There was no feeling. Ethel heard the same booming laugh again, as everything went dark.

Edited by Will

(Silly? I'm not silly. It's not like I'm hanging upside down and wearing a fez or anything like that. :3)

"You understand why we're doing this, right Shana?"

"Yes ma'am."

Her mother explained it again despite the girl's confirmation of understanding.

"You know how to read braille and get around. It's high time we got you back on your feet. No daughter of mine is going to let one little accident keep her from finishing her education! Sit up straight."

Shana straightened her posture immediately and kept her head down, the deeply ingrained habit of avoiding eye contact disregarding the fact she could no longer see. It wasn't too long before she felt the limo stop.

"We're here. Now off to school with you."

"Yes ma'am."

After some fumbling around, the blind girl gripped her cane and opened the door. As silly as it was, she couldn't help but feel relieved that the unseen ground didn't cave out from beneath her before her feet could make contact. The world became a lot more threatening when you couldn't see it. Shana slowly made her way over the short distance between the drop off and school with only the rhythmic tapping of her cane to fill her ears. Soon the tapping was accompanied by idle chatting and laughter, other children on their way to the same esteemed private school as her. To her surprise, the sounds of cheerful children was replaced by dead silence as she neared. She could feel the force of their stares as heat on her neck. There was no need to weave through the crowd as she could only assume they moved out of her way, but not out of kindness. The air was so think with distain it almost suffocated. The heat rose to her cheeks as the stares bored into her mind. Soon the silence was replaced by whispers carrying tones of distrust and disgust, spoken quietly as to not let the unseeing girl hear, but she did anyway.

"Isn't that the girl who always sits at the back of the class and never talks to anyone?"

"Yeah. I think her name is Shasha or something like that. Did you hear about how she became blind?"

"I heard she was messing around with some explosives and a couple shady guys. I always thought she was odd, but I never thought she would get caught up in that kind of mess..."

"What if she has a bomb on her? What if she plans to blow up the school?!"

"Don't be ridiculous. She couldn't do something like that."

"You don't know that! No one knows anything about her! She could be a lunatic for all we know!"

"He's got a point. Why else would she be messing around with stuff like that?"

"Maybe the avoiding everyone thing is part of her mental illness."

"Everyone should just stay away from her. She could try to stab your eyes out or blow your face up as some kind of sick revenge."

"I never did like her. Now we know she's bad news."

Shana broke into a run, not caring if she ran into anything anymore. She just needed to get out of there.

"Look at her."

"What is she running from?"

"I knew she was crazy!"

She kept running, but she didn't get any closer to the school or escaping the crowd. The stares of the other children seemed to crawl under her skin, searching, probing for anything they could turn against her. The whispers became shouts, and soon drowned out any other sound except for her heart beating in her ears. She couldn't escape. At least she couldn't, until a hand wrapped around her wrist, its owner's voice somehow cutting through the wall of sound.

"Come on!"

The hand pulled her off her course and through a wall of living bodies as they grabbed and clawed at her, ripping through her clothes. The heart radiating off them started cook and suffocate. With one hard tug, the hand pulled her out and she heard a door slam behind her. It let go and she stubbled to the nearest seat, sitting down to catch her breath.

"It looks like they aren't trying to get in. Good."

Then she heard the most terrifing sound she could have at that moment; the click of a door locking. Ropes coiled around her wrists and ankles. A peice of cloth shoved itself between her teeth to muffle her scream. She whimpered and tried to turn her head away from the cold steel pressing against her cheek.

"Now we can get started."

But the ropes around her wrists weren't tight enough. With one good tug her hands came free and pulled the knife away in his moment of surprise, kicking him back and cutting herself in the process. Suddenly the rest of her bonds and the chair disappeared and she scrambled to her feet with the knife still in hand. Foot steps started towards her and she shakily pointed her knife in their direction.

"S-stop."

They didn't stop. She gripped the knife with both hands.

"Stop!"

They weren't stopping. She'd have to do it.

"STOP! PLEASE!"

She had to do it. With one motion, the blade entered her attacker's chest.

• Like 1

Holly was walking through a vibrant forest. The birds sang, the squirrels chattered, and the leaves gently shook in the wind. Even the ground itself felt vibrant with every step she took. However, it completely took her off guard when she involuntarily coughed, as the air suddenly turned corrupt, like smog.

She soon noticed that the forest she was in now was completely different from where she once was. Unlike the vibrant, crawling with life meadow, this one was corrupt and crawling withdeath. The trees were dull and leafless, not a single bird sang as in the previously lively atmosphere, and a thick fog

Plagued the air.

Eventually she heard an inaudible murmur, which continues, growing louder and louder. Soon enough, he heard the voice faintly murmur "Holly...".

The word grew louder, and louder, until it became a scream.

"Holly!" "Holly!" "HOLLY!"

She couldnt take it anymore. She soon broke into a sprint, Charging through the woods, yet the voice did not quiet down, no, it only continued in volume!

"HOLLY!" "HOLLY!" "HOLLY!"

She covered her ears and shut her eyes, yet the voice persisted. She'd much rather only have the lifeless forest than have this persistent voice. Eventually, She ran into something hard, and fell down. She opened her eyes, and saw a large male figure staring down

at her with sunken eyes.

"Holly... Come back to me..."

It murmured in a calm, depressed tone.

I'll probably join shortly, just gotta think of a character unique enough for my tastes.

Can I ask where the absurdity threshold lies? Wizards? Bounty Hunters? Ghosts? Novakids? Unrealized Omnipotence? OwO

Edit - Currently working on something, might take a while though.

Edited by Blazingice26

(Well you've obviously played Starbound :p)

Wizards in the field of shooting fireballs and lightning at people are probably too much, Will's character is the closest to a wizard as you could probably get. Flying robots are a no, laser beam sharknado's are a no, and giant 2 story tall giants are a no.

Bounty hunters probably wouldn't fit in the RP, ghosts are a maybe, and Novakids I guess are OK :L

The best characters are usually people who are going through a conflict of some sort because you can really show a good backstory through them. Other non-human things are usually for comic relief (I have a few of those planned within) but you could make them work.

Name:  AC-bW

Race: Artificially Created Biological Weapon

Appearance: A young boy, dressed in plain, dark-grey garments.  His skin is covered in bulging patches full of black pus, and his fingers are like claws.  Multiple wires are visible under his skin. Growing out of his head, shoulders, and back, is a sort of second body.  It has the appearance of a crab, with a sickly black carapace and four spiderlike legs.  ACbW walks on these legs; the human body dangles under it like a rag doll.

Backstory: I'll reveal details as the roleplay progresses, but the basic story is that he was "donated" by his parents to a government laboratory, in which they tested grafting on new limbs and programming his mind into a killing machine. 

Abilities:

ACbW was created to be a weapon of war; and as such, he gains bonuses from both his mechanical and biological parts.  He can use his armored body to resist and inflict large amounts of damage.  His clawlike hands can tear through flesh and bone if he can get close enough.  Besides such mundane physical attacks, ACbW can also electrify its entire body, and fire concentrated rays of heat that can burn through solid stone.

Disabilities: ACbW runs of of energy very fast in cases where it needs to use all of its many capabilities.  While its physical force will slowly recharge on its own, anything that requires electricity to run will shut down if adequate power is not available.  Self-preservation has been removed; it will keep fighting until it dies or is forced by others to flee.

Extra stuff: I'm well aware that this seems ludicrously futuristic, but let's just say the sciencey stuff was Maxwell's fault (#BlameMaxwell2015) and the armored body is nightmare fuel (#BlameThem2015).  If you need me to change anything, just say so.

Name: Opal / Onyx

Race: Shadow-Human hybrid

Backstory: More in-depth later, but the gist of it is that, at some point she found a small necklace with a gear-shaped pendant made of what appeared to be onyx; at some point she was brutally murdered while wearing the necklace and later "revived" as a sort of 3/4th's shadow 1/4th human hybrid monster

Abilities/Disabilities:

We're The Same, But Different - Opal shares her body with the conscious of a shadow creature, whom prefers to be called Onyx. Most(if not all) of Opal's abilities come from this union, and as such her body, powers, and personality will warp depending on how much influence Onyx has over her. 

Shadow Body* - Opal's body is primarily made up of a sort of living nightmare fuel, due to this, when Onyx's influence is more prevalent, the substance will become less corporeal, allowing physical attacks to pass through it with little to no damage, but will become much more vulnerable to less physical means of injury. The reverse is true when Opal is more in control

Dual Minded - Opal's personality will (and already has) change drastically with Onyx's influence, as he is allowed into her mind, her personality will be twisted into a darker, sadistic, and evil version of itself.

Stored Conscious - Opal's and Onyx's consciousness rests within the onyx gem from the original necklace, If they are ever killed, the onyx will be left with their memories, personalities all intact inside of it. 

Darkness Conversion - Opal, borrowing Onyx's abilties can create things out of literal darkness. The process can be extremely tiring, even painful, when trying to create things on an epic scale, Opal could possibly die after the creation is finished.
· 
Appearance: The makeup of Opal's body will morph with Onyx's influence. When Opal is almost entirely devoid of Onyx's influence, her body will appear to be mostly human, with her left arm torn off and replaced with a nightmare fuel arm of similar proportions, but a 3-fingered claw-like appendage instead of a normal hand, Onyx can manifest himself from this, with the limited ability to interact with his surroundings. When Onyx has taken over almost completely, they will manifest as a mass made of pure darkness, it can shape-shift freely, with the ability to integrate itself with the shadows around it. (Think something along the lines of Penny's fairy form) 

Opal's *mostly* human form stands at 6ft, making her slightly taller than average, her skin is white, and extraordinarly pale. Before her death, her hair was short with a dark-reddish color, but now it's color more closely resembles black liqourice, her hair will occasionally move and shift of it's own accord, this grows more erratic based on Onyx's mood. Her eye-color is most commonly a deep sapphire, however her eyes will flush black when she makes use of Onyx's abilities in any way.

Extra stuff:
At any point when Onyx manifests himself in the real world, the onyx gem that originally bound the two together will be easily viewable at a usually significant part of the object, when he appears as any kind of animal, human included, the gem will appear visibly above the "skin" where the heart would be located. When he manifests as an object, it depends on said object, I.e.t would appear in the hilt of a sword, the palm of a hand etc.

This reads more like a badly-written SCP article than a character bio. Jeeze.

Edited by Blazingice26

Hubris. His arrogance would be the end of him. Countless spirits had told this to Wunan. Of course, he hadn't listened. And as the seemingly endless sea of what appeared to be dark hands swarmed up at him, regret crushed him. His staff would expand no further, and he clenched to the very top, looking down at his impending doom. Fear swelled through him as one of the appendages grabbed onto his ankle, and began tugging. Wunan yelped as more hands began doing the same, dragging him down. It wasn't long before he could hold on no longer, and he was plunged into the mass of arms. His mouth was pried open as the darkness swarmed inside, filling his throat and clawing at his innards. They yanked his flesh, ripping holes in his skin. It seemed an eternity of pain and torment before he allowed his consciousness to drift away...

(I had in mind to make a robot who is a biological weapon)

(Hey, I don't see why we can't have two biological weapons though.)

post-467982-0-92471000-1422800037_thumb.

I just need to think of a good name.

Name: Bonnie

Race: Mutated Human Experiment, series B: slightly degenereted infected

Backstory:

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY! NICE TO MEET YOU! IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE THE LAST TIME I WROTE TO SOMEONE. I'M SUPPOSED TO TELL YOU MY STORY NOW, I THINK.

OK!!! *CLEARS THROAT*

ONCE UPON A TIME, THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL IN A LAB AND SHE GOT STUFF INJECTED IN HER VEINS AND THAT'S ALL I REMEMBER FROM BEFORE I BACAME LIKE THIS. NOW I HAVE SUPERPOWERS AND I CAN DESTROY ANYTHING I WANT, ISN'T THAT COOL?? >: ]

I CAN, LIKE, MUTATE MY BODY AND REGENERATE AND MY LEFT ARM IS NOT REALLY THAT SOLID, ACTUALLY I AM NOT REALLY THAT SOLID IN THE FIRST PLACE (KIND OF A SLIME GIRL : P). MY FAVOURITE HOBBY IS EXPLOSIONS, I LIKE EXPLOSIONS!! I ALSO LIKE SHINY STUFF AND FIGHTING VIDEOGAMES AND GRANADES, OH MAN I LIKE GRANADES. I CAN EVEN TRANSFORM MY ARMS IN CANNONS (HINT: THAT'S SOOOOOOO COOL! *q*).

NOW I'M GETTING BORED OF THIS USELESS BACKSTORY, YOU'LL LEARN MORE ABOUT ME AS WE ROLEPLAY (I'M SURE IT WILL BE A HELLOT OF FUN!!!)

BY THE WAY THE THING ON MY HEAD IS MY BEST FRIEND AND MY PARASITE WE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER SINCE I CAN REMEMBER. IT DOES NOT SPEAK A LOT, BUT IT'S HELPFUL WHEN I NEED IT :3

Abilities/Disabilities:

(If you are part of the Game Changer RP, her powers are basically Wy's)

REGENERATION!!

That. It consumes a lot of energy though, so she is not immortal.

WEAPONS!!!

She carries around with her a lot of bombs, guns, knifes, bullets, gunpoweder. She can mutate her arms into weapons, which can be a sword, a gun or even a cannon.

NOT HUMAN AT ALL

Her body is rather slimy. This makes her agile and fast, yet weak and really fragile, meaning it's easy for her to have to regenerate.

Other abilities will be revealed in the future

(In her universe Bonnie is the Chaotic Evil kind, but in this RP I'll be using her as Chaotic Neutral/Good kind.)

Edited by Halved