Mother Nature isn't going to be happy about this... annoys me too...

I've played with people who, well, kinda don't really care about the resources they take...

And this annoys me than it should...

So, going strait for it: LOGS... more precisely, STUMPS... generally, TREES.

When some players chop down trees, I politely ask them to cut the big ones as it will yield more logs and more pine cones... they agree, to this but as soon as I'm out of sight, they chop even the small one... that cute little one that yields 1 log... I come back to where they've been chopping and find stumps... they don't even bother pulling up the stumps (even after we have shovels)...

What's more annoying is that they don't replant... I mean chop the big one and dig out the stump for 4 logs and 2 pine cones... replant one to replace the one you took down and save the one you have to do whatever you want... place near a base to make a charcoal farm, use for kindling... pacify a Treeguard!

And then they complain about not having enough trees...

Is this like an OCD, or is it justifiable?

But if you're trying to clear out an area to make your base/farm I guess that's justifiable... but

Should we or should we not encourage replanting trees in general?

Replanting is a big gripe with me. It's not that hard. At least let me have the pinecones so I can plant them!   I always cut down small trees though. I find it amusing. 

I know, right?!

Well, at least you replant and that's good enough for me... Mother Earth thanks you...

I don't bother lumbering at all since logs are useless and time consuming to collect. Also, you can fall a full grown tree with one swoop using the torch trick, it's almost mind boggling that anyone would chop a small tree for timber.

Ps: see if anything is around the tree(seeds, stump). Quickly remove them.Llight one tree on fire and quickly switch to axe. One swoop, there you got three logs.

I agree with the OP : people don't care about replanting trees or even making resources regrowable at all.

They only care for their first few days of surviving, usually burning everything down untill they just starve...

I knew the torch-cutting tip Beat, it's a good one.

And, to conclude, I'd say that it just a matter of sens chopping only big trees and replanting at least one pine cone... But that's not the case of everyone!

I just look for a bunch of trees clumped together, press space, and read forums on my other monitor.  <.<

Does that make me a bad person?

==> Not if you take the pine cones and replant after your farming :).

Do they burn all the pine cones?

There was this one group that did pick up pine cones (but still leaving the stump) and replanting them near the base... to make charcoal...

No more pine cones after that... except the odd 2-3 that do drop after the tree gets burned... but that's not gonna bring their numbers up... 

I've got a problem that's similar now.

I've taken to playing on the dedicated servers, and I find that there are only a few flowers here and there. I managed to get 40 flowers going, but when I logged back on today, apparently people had picked every single flower and didn't replace any.

Why do people always pick every single flower? Don't they know that the homeless bees I left there will repopulate them if you just leave six?

All the grass and saplings I had left there are gone now too. A griefer probably burned them all for a quick laugh.

I hate people.

Why do people always pick every single flower? Don't they know that the homeless bees I left there will repopulate them if you just leave six?

Testify!

Another related... related story:

I joined a server and found they had a decent base going on (but still had the whole tree issue) so I gathered all the lumber and pine cones I could get to replant. Good.

I died (because of... drum roll... LAG!) and had previously planted a row of flowers somewhere in earshot of the beebox... I then, as a ghost proceed to turn them into Evil Flowers and ask them not to pick them because we can use them for nightmarefuel... understood... revived, survived... place 2 bees...

log-off, log-on... boom... they used them for fuel... not nightmare fuel... it was winter and they didn't have any logs or whatever and they used... (facepalm) you guessed it...

But I guess in their defense it isn't something you immediately learn... that's kind of like something you learn in the forums, and from those who got bored and experimented, or those who are gifted with horticultural prowess... es... es...

(wrote it big so people wouldn't get the wrong idea... we were beginners too, so we had to learn this the hard way too...)

OK...

bye...

(plus I don't want to be called an elitist or something...)

Testify!

Another related... related story:

I joined a server and found they had a decent base going on (but still had the whole tree issue) so I gathered all the lumber and pine cones I could get to replant. Good.

I died (because of... drum roll... LAG!) and had previously planted a row of flowers somewhere in earshot of the beebox... I then, as a ghost proceed to turn them into Evil Flowers and ask them not to pick them because we can use them for nightmarefuel... understood... revived, survived... place 2 bees...

log-off, log-on... boom... they used them for fuel... not nightmare fuel... it was winter and they didn't have any logs or whatever and they used... (facepalm) you guessed it...

But I guess in their defense it isn't something you immediately learn... that's kind of like something you learn in the forums, and from those who got bored and experimented, or those who are gifted with horticultural prowess... es... es...

(wrote it big so people wouldn't get the wrong idea... we were beginners too, so we had to learn this the hard way too...)

OK...

bye...

(plus I don't want to be called an elitist or something...)

True dat. Sometimes I just wish people wouldn't go around picking up every flower and burning every sapling and grass tuft they see, though.

Whenever I play, I focus, almost to a fault, on making sure what I'm doing is renewable. I was like this even when I first started. I mean, I realize that homeless bees and planting butterflies isn't exactly common sense, but shouldn't it be common sense that bees can't make honey without flowers?

I just wish there were a way to prevent griefers on dedicated servers without limiting the survival aspect. I like that my grass can catch fire if someone who is trying to do good does something stupid, but I don't want the power to ruin my day to be in the hands of every willow with a lighter and a hammer. There's no way to prevent it though. It's just sad.

I wish there were some way to detect someone's intentions before they logged in, and kick them preemptively. Intentions are all I really care about. If someone wants to help, but screws up, that's okay, it's just the people that log in with the sole purpose of ruining someone else's day that I don't want joining.

Bad players are fine. Bad people, however...

Tried evil flower farm with homeless bees, not working at the moment. It has almost been 25days in the sever.

The innate downfall for most newcomers is their shortsight of the benefits in their resources aound them. Without the experiences of controlling fuel and sanity efficiently, coupled with zero farsight of civil planning, they are bound to run an unrenewable camp.

Why newcomers pick flowers:they don't know how to gain sanity using other methods. When we told a person to eat taffy on the pot, he refused. We had 3 tams in the chest, he did not try to pick them up. The good news was, we were low on nightmare fuel so I quickly took advantage of the situation.

Why newcomers pick flowers:they don't know how to gain sanity using other methods.

^Yes

To those who want to learn how to play well in DST... or DS in general:

The last tab in your crafting menu is your best friend... there you can craft sanity replenishing items... Make a "Top hat" out of 6 silks and wear them at all times (or when your sanity is not at max) to regenerate it... it's also used to negate the sanity drain from dusk and night...

so... keep it up, you're doing great... eventually you'll be able to tackle a Deer Clops all by your self

(went off-topic from trees there...)

I don't bother lumbering at all since logs are useless and time consuming to collect. Also, you can fall a full grown tree with one swoop using the torch trick, it's almost mind boggling that anyone would chop a small tree for timber.

Ps: see if anything is around the tree(seeds, stump). Quickly remove them.Llight one tree on fire and quickly switch to axe. One swoop, there you got three logs.

What is the torch trick?

Yeah... it all kinda falls under the category of "renewable farming" though. I wouldn't have brought up the other topics if I had known you wanted this to be exclusively about trees

Well, what the heck, this post is now about renewable resources too :3

Actually, I think I kinda meant other resources to be tackled in this post but felt so strongly about the stump-pine cone resources thing that I kinda forgot... please refer to my signature below... it is not just for gags but actually happens from time to time :3 lol

:spidercowers:  :happypigs:  :juggling:  :yaypigs:

Tried evil flower farm with homeless bees, not working at the moment. It has almost been 25days in the sever.

So I guess I'm imagining my evil flower farm then... are you sure you're at least a screen's distance from the action (and by action I mean pollen-pistil-fertilization-nation)?

Because if not, then it ain't happening... (it's such a chore sometimes so I put it somewhere I spend a lot of time in.. like my fortress... activate bragging!!) 

Well, what the heck, this post is now about renewable resources too :3

Actually, I think I kinda meant other resources to be tackled in this post but felt so strongly about the stump-pine cone resources thing that I kinda forgot... please refer to my signature below... it is not just for gags but actually happens from time to time :3 lol

I definitely know that feeling.

All we really need for a completely renewable world, though (well renewable enough, anyway) is tufts, saplings, and reeds. Everything else (that wasn't going to be slowly depleted in the base game anyway) is possible to regenerate from almost nothing, but with those two, there's no way to get 'em back once they're burned. Flowers and acorns would be nice too, but since they're pretty much impossible to completely get rid of, and you can regenerate them from almost nothing, they don't really need to me made "more renewable".

That's my opinion, anyway.

Archived