Best way to accumulate food in DST?

Where is flare2v on this?  He'll tell you how its done.  but since he's not Ill do it.

Step 1.  Be wickerbottom

Step 2. Gather as many berry bushes as possible

Step 3. Make the book Applied Horniculture

Step 4. Read Applied Horniculutre

Step 5. Gather berries and repeat Step 4 until book gone

Step 6. Repeat Steps 3-5

You should never go hungry again and its SUPER easy to do.  Discussion over.

You're welcome Forums

Where is flare2v on this?  He'll tell you how its done.  but since he's not Ill do it.

Step 1.  Be wickerbottom

Step 2. Gather as many berry bushes as possible

Step 3. Make the book Applied Horniculture

Step 4. Read Applied Horniculutre

Step 5. Gather berries and repeat Step 4 until book gone

Step 6. Repeat Steps 3-5

You should never go hungry again and its SUPER easy to do.  Discussion over.

You're welcome Forums

Damn straight. Even if you're not wickerbottom, the amount of food and rot (and potential manure) you get from this is amazing. Wickerbottom just allows infinite amounts of food from it on demand. Don't forget to harvest the berry bushes in the daytime elsewise you'll miss the gobblers whose drumsticks make for easy easy EASY KEYWORD EASY NO RABBITS REQUIRED meatballs. The best part about this farm? It can be in place by the end of day one.

Another food source I'd recommend is honey as it, when eaten straight, gives a fair bit of healing and hunger. Not only that but it's spoil time is rediculously long and requires absolutely NO preparation once you've established the bee boxes. Just free hunger + health on demand every winter. Honey used to be the single greatest food source in the game, but DST brought more mouths to feed.

A lot of people use healing foods as a constant food source. Sure, the health is nice, but healing foods are best utilized as an "on demand" source of food. Other useful healing foods (if you don't mind a bit of scavenging) are pierogis, fish sticks, bags of trail mix, cactus flowers, uncooked blue caps, butter, butterfly wings and butter muffins.

Koalephants and beefalo are decent temporary food sources, ice is a filler that never spoils. Cacti and green caps are amazing for restoring sanity. Track koalephants when you can, mine ice in the winter. Always pick cacti when you're near them during the summer.

Every other source of food is viable for survival, sure, but can't really compare to the above food sources because they give too little for what you put into them (time or resource wise). Such food sources include farms, drying racks and trapping rabbits/frogs.

TL;DR:

Berries + drumsticks for meatballs. Wickerbottom's books are naisu. Farms and rabbit traps suck. Honey is good. There are health sources all around you, all the time. Farms and rabbit traps suck. Ice is a filler that never spoils. Farms and rabbit traps suck

never disregard lakes as a way togenerate food.

(they dont work in winter but they can help you accumulate food before winter)

I have been explyining the game fo some friends of mine and there is always a window before we get the food production started (crockpot drying racks etc.) where food is hard to come by.

I found an area where 5 or 7 lakes where and saw a lot of frogs. with 3 traps i cought about 15 of them in one day (by putting the traps on top of them). if you convert that to jerky/meatballs/meaty stew, you have a nice surplus. I think it is advisable since its much easier to catch frogs than rabbits.

Btw. is it efficient, to kill rabbits with a boomerang? (not focusing on it but just killing all rabits that you encounter while doing other stuff)

Frog ponds are amazing. Put some traps there and come back every 2 days. This, however, is not possible during winter, so you gotta switch to rabbit farming. 

The easiest way to get infinite food is to play as webber. If you find several dens in a compact space, drop your den and reap the benefits: feed one or two monster meat(s) to spider friends, then attack a lone spider. RRUUUUUUUN. Come back later to gather up the monster meat and silk.

You can use the silk for bird traps, top hats and winter hats. Then, when bird cage is online, make bacon and eggs with 1 MM+1 cooked morsel + 2 eggs. REMEMBER- cook live birds on firepit!!!! 

If you are not a Webber, Wickerbottom is also a good choice(but since most ppl already told you about shits, im going to skip).

Another good way to use the monster meats is to feed the pigs with MM for maximum lumber efficiency. You can convert pigs into werepigs(4MM) one by one and your pig army will do the rest for you. 

Add another thing for flare2v: 2 drum sticks 1 vegie(red caps) and 1 MM is the best starting food. Basically, you pick as many red caps as you can. Then, when you see a gobbler, drop your red caps and the gobbler will suicicde itself. 

Only replenish hunger by eating crockpot foods.  Rarely does anything else compare.

Personally, actual farms (the ones that grow fruits/vegetables are not a realistic way to feed people).  They are good for making specific meals to heal health or restore sanity when needed but I wouldn't harvest the crops for anything else.

Not sure what characters everyone is playing as but having a variety cooperating together is ideal.  

Wickerbottom can use her books to replenish farms.  In addition, have everyone equipped with boomerangs and have her use Birds of the World along with Sleepytime Stories to gather a lot of morsels.

Have two spider dens a short distance away from camp.  As Webber, give meat to one spider and attack another from the other den.  Both sides will go to war and you should stand in the middle collecting the loot unharmed.  Webber should be able to get quite a supply of silk, spider glands, and monster meat from doing this one time.

Have a birdcage in order to turn spoiling meat and/or monster meat into eggs.  This will allow you to utilize the eggs as filler if need be. There's a decent chance you will be swimming in monster meat if you do as mentioned regarding Webber.

Lastly, my favorite thing in the whole game is ice.  When winter hits, everyone should go out and bust down every single iceberg on the map and store it all in the icebox.  This can be used as filler in many recipes and as long as it remains in the icebox until you use it, will never go bad.  

Honestly, there are tons of ways besides what I mentioned.  However, repeating these few things should keep most groups fed for as long as they want to play.  

two things real quick

why would you ever make meatballs with that recipe when you can use 3 veggies and a morsel or monster meat?

Also, when left in crockpots, things keep forever.

Crockpots are cheap to make

Therefore, make a dozen meaty stews and eat them once every two days, if you have the materials to do so. I mean why not?

In DST, crock pots don't make foods last forever anymore. They will eventually spoil...

PS I rarely if ever bother with rabbit traps.  In my opinion, they are a huge hassle to continually check and maintain.  

Even without Webber, take several traps you would have used on rabbits and lay them near spider dens.  Then step on the den and the spiders will come out and into your traps.  This will collect you meat, silk and/or spider glands immediately.  You won't have to wait as long as you do with rabbit holes.  Eventually, there will be no more spiders (till they respawn) but I find it to be much quicker and immediate.  If you still need more meat just go to another den and do the same thing.  

I have a biased standard for DST players that discrete whether someone is a new beginner or intermediate player or veteran. It's of course, food source of the player.

Beginners just get starved, or relying on raw food material and don't make crock pot even after 10 days from their joining point, really. Crock pot is an essential facility to build, due to its efficient recipes. Build crock pot until day 5 is strongly recommended even if you're in nomad playstyle.

Many intermediate players really rely on beefalos and rabbit in savanna biome. Well it's a great strategy, but I don't like it because this kind of playstyle requires a bit of care for rabbit trapping and picking up beef shits. But I'm sure that this style really helps players who're playing with some beginners, by setting up them to do certain work for traps and poop picking.

Unless any of your party playing Wickerbottom, you don't need to spend too much time with berry bushes. It's a waste of time and resource, and labour. But if you are playing with beginner friends, you can direct them to do 'berry bush migration' for enhancing food production. Crafting poop bucket can save much manure in this process.

I recommend crock pot + birdcage + nearby spider dens + bird trap for universal supply of food source for your camp regardless of your biome. Birdcage and encaged bird can produce eggs from cooked monster meat or other meat source, and cooking meatball or bacon and eggs from them can feed up you enough. Also encaged bird can poop out seeds from veggies and fruits from farm plates, hence you can make a plantation for Dragonfruit or some others. But this system needs proper hunter-killers who could carry out hunting continously.

So a party that is consist of different level of players, these kinds of gathering food resource will be combined. Skilled veterans do hunting of spiders and werepigs, beef or Koalafants, while intermediate players maintain houseworks and plantations by directing beginners to carry out subtle but essential works like trapping, bush migration and poop picking.

I don't recommend frog trapping and fishing. It's quite a loss in opportunity cost I think. Collecting berries and mushrooms with monster meat from spider in forest or grassland is better in matter of both time and resource.

Also any skilled one could get a free lunch consist with monster meats and fishes and frog legs from marsh biome. In addition, in springtime frogs will be delivered to your camp, so utilize them as food source at that time.

Another way to use food, which hasnt been discussed here is food as a way of healing. For healing purposes the crock pot recepies give too much hunger compared to health. The best way to heal with food is eating jerkys. lots and lots of jerkys. You can even use Jerkys as ingredients for the crock pot.

Yesterday a friend and I were attacked by hounds and he had only about 30 hp when we heard them. he quickly ate 10 small jerkys and we were able to kill the hounds without trouble.

My tips

-Fishing- its great source of meat 
-Catcoons will kill things and if you are fast you can nick the meat
-POOP is your friend. 
-Traps for rabbits AND spiders means meat and silk little work.
-ice box and crockpots make friends with both.
- you can store rabbits in chests whilst still alive= fresh meat later. 

My tips

-Fishing- its great source of meat 

-Catcoons will kill things and if you are fast you can nick the meat

-POOP is your friend. 

-Traps for rabbits AND spiders means meat and silk little work.

-ice box and crockpots make friends with both.

- you can store rabbits in chests whilst still alive= fresh meat later. 

Fishing isn't that great of a source for getting meat, given that you get FISH when fishing.

Pretty fishy, huh? And, since the addition of RoG, storing rabbits in chests is no longer effective:

Rabbits starve while in containers (that includes chests or inventories), and they die after two days of starvation. So you get a fresh morsel later... whether you want it or not.

Ahhh, but your fresh morsel will have lasted an extra two days when it rots compared to one that didn't start as a rabbit.

I'm generally not of the opinion that this is worth the inventory slot.  But whatevs, if that's your style you can get a little bit of extra time by keeping the rabbits and letting them starve compared to slaughtering them outright.

I don't know if you gain naughtiness for letting them starve....  that might be worth exploring, but probably not.

Archived