DON'T STARVE KEEPS CRASHING! I WANT REFUND IF UNFIXABLE

Hello, I recently bought Don't Starve for the price of $10.39 I think. It was $10 and something. I bought it for me and a friend. The first day I played it for around 3 hours, the second day I played 30 minutes. I went off it to get addons, came on, it was fine. My little brother shut down the computer. I turned it on and it kept crashing every time I tried launching it. I tried again and again, restarting it. It didn't work. I looked online, I found a couple links including the steam one. Didn't work. If this is unfixable I demand a refund as I want my money back. It is not fair that I pay for a game and not be able to play it for a month. I will discuss with my friend if he still wants it. If he only wants to play with me, I demand, $20 and something. If he wants it still I demand $10 and something!

This is the steam link I used: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6127-WIOD-4978

have you tried deleting the mods? not sure if itll help but its worth a shot. 

usually found Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\mods folder

also. if it does turn on, make sure you disable the mods. 

or just reinstall the game

Go to your steam library. Right click on Don't Starve. Properties. Local Files. Verify integrity of game cache.

Please be aware this is a BETA, and does not reflect the final product, and may have bugs and crashes. When the game is out of beta, they won't be there. You paid for early access, and you got it. They are not going to refund you because you are annoyed about it crashing. That is what happens when you participate in a beta. If you want a crash fixed, tell them about it in the bug forum.

This game is still in beta, which means a lot of hotfixes and updates coming out, not all the mods will be 100% up to date, which can lead to failing or possible crashing the game. (even one of my most loved "add ons" is still not up to date yet to use *sniff* But that's okay!).

If you are not using any mods/add ons, and your game is still crashing, Klei has a support center and bug tracker forum to help you and anyone else with problems playing the game.

Please read this and follow the instructions on how to make a bug report, if you have issues with your game: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/41337-submitting-bug-reports/

Please note this will go on the forums and will be public. (So, don't post any private information you are uncomfortable with sharing to everyone).

Also note the attachment button may not work the first time, and you might have to re-attach.

You will need 5 posts to be able to edit a post.

Good luck!

Hello, I recently bought Don't Starve for the price of $10.39 I think. It was $10 and something. I bought it for me and a friend. The first day I played it for around 3 hours, the second day I played 30 minutes. I went off it to get addons, came on, it was fine. My little brother shut down the computer. I turned it on and it kept crashing every time I tried launching it. I tried again and again, restarting it. It didn't work. I looked online, I found a couple links including the steam one. Didn't work. If this is unfixable I demand a refund as I want my money back. It is not fair that I pay for a game and not be able to play it for a month. I will discuss with my friend if he still wants it. If he only wants to play with me, I demand, $20 and something. If he wants it still I demand $10 and something!

This is the steam link I used: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6127-WIOD-4978

be sure and read these two posts, and if you did install mods, calm down a little and list them for us, we might be able to help you with those.

Go to your steam library. Right click on Don't Starve. Properties. Local Files. Verify integrity of game cache.

Please be aware this is a BETA, and does not reflect the final product, and may have bugs and crashes. When the game is out of beta, they won't be there. You paid for early access, and you got it. They are not going to refund you because you are annoyed about it crashing. That is what happens when you participate in a beta. If you want a crash fixed, tell them about it in the bug forum.

If you installed any mods, then Klei can't help you with that. 

nice title. Now instead of asking for your refund(which is not happening. do your research), you could try some things like reinstalling the game and deleting all the mods you've installed. I doubt this is Klei's fault as, even with all the Early Access instability, it hasn't been that bad for quite a while.

Alright, I don't know whether you're referring to Don't Starve or Don't Starve Together, but this being the location of this statement, I'll assume you mean DST.

So, first off, you can't complain about a game crashing when it's in BETA. DST is clearly labeled as Early Access, and you should be aware that it is. The game is known to have bugs, broken aspects, that's why it's a Beta. If the game started having issues after you installed mods (not add-ons, mods and add-ons are different things, and add-ons aren't a part of DST as far as I know) then it isn't Klei's fault. You might be able to contact the mod creator via Steam, and see if this is a bug caused by their mods, and see if they have a solution to it. If you uninstalled everything, and it still has issues after installing it again, I don't know how to help.

It's not his' computer, it's because he installed mods.

Anyways, @flaketman77, can you give us the list of mods you installed?

The mods I remember are: Minimap HUD, display food values, Extended indicators WIP, More DST Characters, I think Gesture Wheel, Detailed tool tips, Jane Doe the Soldier (Together), Mr Mundy, the sniper. That's all I know right now. I'll ask my friend and he will tell me which ones we got if I left out any.

Jane Doe the Soldier (Together)H+ Jane Doe the Soldier (Together) Jane Doe the Soldier (Together)Jane Doe the Soldier (Together)

The mods I remember are: Minimap HUD, display food values, Extended indicators WIP, More DST Characters, I think Gesture Wheel, Detailed tool tips, Jane Doe the Soldier (Together), Mr Mundy, the sniper. That's all I know right now. I'll ask my friend and he will tell me which ones we got if I left out any.

So what I recommend doing is testing to see which mods are the problem. I know Minimap HUD, Display Food Values, More DST Characters, Gesture Wheel and Detailed Tool Tips work fine because I use those.

Extended Indicators, Jane Doe and Mr. Mundy I recommend testing to see which is the problem. Some people decided to "port over" mods without testing to see their compatibility or if they work at all.

So what I recommend doing is testing to see which mods are the problem. I know Minimap HUD, Display Food Values, More DST Characters, Gesture Wheel and Detailed Tool Tips work fine because I use those.

Extended Indicators, Jane Doe and Mr. Mundy I recommend testing to see which is the problem. Some people decided to "port over" mods without testing to see their compatibility or if they work at all.

I deleted every mod I had and it still just kept crashing. I know my computer can run it because I can run Don't Starve fine, my friends computer is really old and he can run it as well as having at least 20-30 mods installed. I verified and I tried everything the internet and other people told me to do. Any Ideas?

The mods I remember are: Minimap HUD, display food values, Extended indicators WIP, More DST Characters, I think Gesture Wheel, Detailed tool tips, Jane Doe the Soldier (Together), Mr Mundy, the sniper. That's all I know right now. I'll ask my friend and he will tell me which ones we got if I left out any. Jane Doe the Soldier (Together)H+ Jane Doe the Soldier (Together) Jane Doe the Soldier (Together)Jane Doe the Soldier (Together)

that's a lot of mods... Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling it?

Edit: By "it", I mean the game, not the mods.

I deleted every mod I had and it still just kept crashing. I know my computer can run it because I can run Don't Starve fine, my friends computer is really old and he can run it as well as having at least 20-30 mods installed. I verified and I tried everything the internet and other people told me to do. Any Ideas?

Can you show us a log.txt?

If this is happening even if you're not using mods, then maybe it's something Klei can fix.

Unless it has to do with any antivirus programs. AVG works fine for me so we can scratch that one off.

At this point, I'm inclined to think that the problem has something to do with how you've configured your machine, and how that's interacting with DST. You should see if there might be incompatibilities between applications you run on your computer and the game.

At this point, I'm inclined to think that the problem has something to do with how you've configured your machine, and how that's interacting with DST. You should see if there might be incompatibilities between applications you run on your computer and the game.

The problem happened after my little brother visited me, he got mad and pressed the power button on the box of the machine. After that, it didn't work. Do you know why?

Of course it's not the game's fault, only yours and of your computer. So calm down.

Shutting down the computer by pressing the power button can ruin the machine. Do any other games work?

This hasn't been true on windows since 95, honestly the worst thing that can happen when you do a hard shutdown is loss of data (say, you had a document you hadn't saved yet). Though if he's running 95, we have a whole new range of issues here...

Archived