[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

A few of you requested a video, so I recorded myself making a walk through for this tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKLuXnO_3XY

Sorry for the poor quality. It was recorded with the wrong settings, and fixing it would have been difficult.

It does not go over how to make a DST character because I'm still learning it myself. Should this go well, I might make more videos.

I was going through a lot of the problems several of you were experiencing, such as the errors that crash DS, applying the mod and DS shutting down, or DS outright crashing.

Assuming everything is followed correctly, this should work.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

A few of you requested a video, so I recorded myself making a walk through for this tutorial.

Sorry for the poor quality. It was recorded with the wrong settings, and fixing it would have been difficult.

It does not go over how to make a DST character because I'm still learning it myself. Should this go well, I might make more videos.

I was going through a lot of the problems several of you were experiencing, such as the errors that crash DS, applying the mod and DS shutting down, or DS outright crashing.

Hope this helps!

Oh my gosh! I have to thank you so much! So absolutely much!! :D

Your video was a TON of help! Thanks to you I finally got it to work without any crashes! From your video, I even knew what to do to get it work with DST too, this makes me so happy and excited, Thank you for your awesome video, and Thank you Dleowolf for this tutorial! All I need to do is replace the images to my character, and its almost complete. Theres one small thing I want to do, make him really weak to cold, but it doesn't matter much, I'm glad to get this to work, thanks for everyone's help!

• Like 1

Hope this helps!

@Sabeku THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! As a first time modder this is going to help me so much!  :love_heart:

Just one question, can I follow this video for DST Mod?

Edited by Zchu

@Sabeku THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! As a first time modder this is going to help me so much!  :love_heart:

Just one question, can I follow this video for DST Mod?

:grin: I'm glad I can help! It's my first time modding too. I'm so glad Dleowolf made this tutorial!

Hm... I would think this would work just fine as a DST character. You would have to get the DST Extended Character mod first, then merge the folders and rename the files again. At least, that's what I would think.

Assuming your prefab coding (your perks and stuff) doesn't conflict with ROTG, it should go okay?

Ah, sorry I don't have a definite answer for you. I'm going to port over my character when he's done but I'm not at that point yet where hes finished for normal DS. :/

It looks like ZackOcs (The post above yours) got it to work in DST, so maybe they can help if that doesn't work.

:grin: I'm glad I can help! It's my first time modding too. I'm so glad Dleowolf made this tutorial!

Hm... I would think this would work just fine as a DST character. You would have to get the DST Extended Character mod first, then merge the folders and rename the files again. At least, that's what I would think.

Assuming your prefab coding (your perks and stuff) doesn't conflict with ROTG, it should go okay?

Ah, sorry I don't have a definite answer for you. I'm going to port over my character when he's done but I'm not at that point yet where hes finished for normal DS. :/

It looks like ZackOcs (The post above yours) got it to work in DST, so maybe they can help if that doesn't work.

I actually have not made my MOD yet, still doing research and planning. So i can start with the DST mod pack. Hopefully that will make it easier for me lol

This is an awesome guide!

However.. I have a little problem. I renamed everything to my character name (which happens to be my own name). As soon as I start the game it has the Extended Character Sample again. I renamed everything that has been said in the post. 

Note that I am not a programmer (want to learn it though) and I have no experience with this. I would love to get some help with this if that is possible :)

Kind regards,

Tyson

I'm having the same problem as Foxfaceninja. I was using this tutorial to "update" one of my characters because I had prior used a more basic tutorial. I got everything working well in-game but I'm running into a few problems with the sprites. I copy-pasted my sprites from a template I made into little bits and pieces like in the "exported" folders, all having the same image dimensions as the esctemplate.

qItYId4.png

(Character is supposed to be an anthropomorphic mantis OC of mine. You'll have to forgive my lackluster/terrible art skills lol.)

I'm guessing the problem is most likely because my actual sprites (not the image dimensions) are slightly smaller and skinnier then the esctemplate. I tried lining up the pieces manually in Spriter myself, but I'm guessing there's a special way to do it because when I started it up in-game my character looked like one of the monsters from The Thing. 

@Foxfaceninja, @Pandut

I also had this problem when importing over Wilson (HD Wilson mod) to make my character more human before I redrew. (excuse the skirt)

054ce0758e8631522c27962d50fa9ccc.png

I found that to fix this, you'll need to go in the exported folder, to the parts that are out of place (like the hair) and manually move it around until it looks right. You'll have to reopen spriter for every change you make.

ef3b9f958b715eeb515bde6222161f08.png

I'm not quite finished, but you can see it can be fixed. In game it works fine too.

Whats great about this mod by Dleowolf is that each image is 400 by 400, giving you a lot of space to work with each part. This way you can manually move the pieces instead of worrying about editing animation.

Be warned that I mean move them in a transparent image editor (like paint.net) and not in spriter itself, otherwise it will mess up the animations. (I've tried this and it made my character a trainwreck!)

Also make sure to paste your image in the 400 by 400 area rather than changing dimensions.

@Sabeku

Thanks! :-) I was fearing that I'd have to completely manually re-draw or resize my character to display properly. This sounds much easier, though painfully tedious. I've got a minor question though, which might come across as incredibly stupid/simple but I'm awkward and want to make sure I don't mess up (again).

Also make sure to paste your image in the 400 by 400 area rather than changing dimensions.

I'm using Photoshop CS6, do you mean pasting the piece you want to adjust into a new, bigger image rather then changing the canvas size? IE: Changing a 100x100 image to 400x400 by adding a larger canvas without altering the actual sprite's size and quality. Again sorry if it comes off as a stupid question, I keep mucking up on getting the sprites to work properly so I wanna get it right this time.

@Sabeku

Thanks! :-) I was fearing that I'd have to completely manually re-draw or resize my character to display properly. This sounds much easier, though painfully tedious. I've got a minor question though, which might come across as incredibly stupid/simple but I'm awkward and want to make sure I don't mess up (again).

I'm using Photoshop CS6, do you mean pasting the piece you want to adjust into a new, bigger image rather then changing the canvas size? IE: Changing a 100x100 image to 400x400 by adding a larger canvas without altering the actual sprite's size and quality. Again sorry if it comes off as a stupid question, I keep mucking up on getting the sprites to work properly so I wanna get it right this time.

Ah yes, it's tedious but I don't know another work around that doesn't mess with the animations. :/ Which is unfortunate. Once I get Wilson all adjusted correctly, I plan on making that available (so human-like characters are easier to make!).

And don't worry, its better to ask questions than be left in the dark. Plus I'm super willing to help! :D So don't worry about it. (Just keep in mind that I'm still new at all this, and that I'd like to keep mentioning I didn't make this mod, Dleowolf did. I'm just super into coding and working with this mod in particular at the moment.)

What I meant about the resizing is that what I'm doing is opening the original 400x400 image, pasting my new image on a separate layer (this case being Wilson's files) and adjusting them to be around the same area as the original image. (For the case of Wilson's hair, it was trying to align it to the bottom of the ears.) The reason I'm opening the original file and editing inside there is just a precaution.

Hm.... the way you're doing it doesn't seem like it would be a problem, since its still your resizing the canvas to the correct 400x400 dimensions. You're going to have to move all the pieces around to align them correctly though, which is why I recommend opening up and using the exiting files to see where exactly the parts should be placed.

I hope this makes more sense, and sorry for the bit of rambling. ^^; Let me know if this works!

Ah yes, it's tedious but I don't know another work around that doesn't mess with the animations. :/ Which is unfortunate. Once I get Wilson all adjusted correctly, I plan on making that available (so human-like characters are easier to make!).

And don't worry, its better to ask questions than be left in the dark. Plus I'm super willing to help! :grin: So don't worry about it. (Just keep in mind that I'm still new at all this, and that I'd like to keep mentioning I didn't make this mod, Dleowolf did. I'm just super into coding and working with this mod in particular at the moment.)

What I meant about the resizing is that what I'm doing is opening the original 400x400 image, pasting my new image on a separate layer (this case being Wilson's files) and adjusting them to be around the same area as the original image. (For the case of Wilson's hair, it was trying to align it to the bottom of the ears.) The reason I'm opening the original file and editing inside there is just a precaution.

Hm.... the way you're doing it doesn't seem like it would be a problem, since its still your resizing the canvas to the correct 400x400 dimensions. You're going to have to move all the pieces around to align them correctly though, which is why I recommend opening up and using the exiting files to see where exactly the parts should be placed.

I hope this makes more sense, and sorry for the bit of rambling. ^^; Let me know if this works!

Yes, it makes sense. And it does work :3. Thank you so much again :grin:.

my custom speech is being ignored...   i have set it up so it should use my quotes ingame, but it just wont use my custom speech file which is a modified RoG wilson speech file.

Where do you have the file located? Sometimes I keep forgetting to put a file in the proper area. Make sure it's in the scripts folder so it'd be the speech file with the prefabs folder.

Yes, it makes sense. And it does work :3. Thank you so much again :grin:.

Where do you have the file located? Sometimes I keep forgetting to put a file in the proper area. Make sure it's in the scripts folder so it'd be the speech file with the prefabs folder.

it's already under scripts outside the prefabs folder.

So when you say don't change the dimensions, do you mean by don't change the canvas size?  Or do you mean don't go beyond the boundaries of what's drawn in the templates provided?

This is what I got so far and I was thinking maybe I could just fill in a little more of the canvas space a bit for a larger character build, head shape, and face.

Edited by Haku Wuffamute

So when you say don't change the dimensions, do you mean by don't change the canvas size?  Or do you mean don't go beyond the boundaries of what's drawn in the templates provided?

This is what I got so far and I was thinking maybe I could just fill in a little more of the canvas space a bit for a larger character build, head shape, and face.

I mean canvas size.

So when following the tutorials it should look like this right,

86bb947c36.png

But in game she has speckled white spots and her hair is away from her body. When I recompile her again her head would show but the rest of her body would be invisible.

I'm starting to think that my CMD hates me...

I'll try to type this as short as I can:

1. Autocompilation didn't work for me (and I'm certain that all the names, graphics and other stuff are in their places - just yesterday it worked.. today - no).

2. I tried compilation via command prompt. I typed:

D:\>Gry\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Mod Tools\mod_tools\scml.exe"
"D:\Gry\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\mods\wakkari\exported\wakkari\wakkari.scml"
"D:\Gry\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\mods\wakkari"

(I don't have it on C: drive) and It seems it's something with the "Don't Starve" folder name. How do I write this in CMD if it has spaces and ' thingy after n? (don't) 

Sorry I'm just dumb about such stuff. Could any of you copy those lines in exactly same way I should type it in command prompt? 
Also I donno if "D:\>" matters... when I start cmd it says C:. Then I type in "d:" it goes to D with an ">".  

Once again sorry guys - maybe it's stupid post  :spidercowers:

1. Autocompilation didn't work for me (and I'm certain that all the names, graphics and other stuff are in their places - just yesterday it worked.. today - no).

"D:\Gry\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\mods\wakkari\exported\wakkari\wakkari.scml"

(I don't have it on C: drive) and It seems it's something with the "Don't Starve" folder name. How do I write this in CMD if it has spaces and ' thingy after n? (don't) 

Sorry I'm just dumb about such stuff. Could any of you copy those lines in exactly same way I should type it in command prompt? 
Also I donno if "D:\>" matters... when I start cmd it says C:. Then I type in "d:" it goes to D with an ">".  

Since you're having trouble autocompliling now, I would like to mention that there has been an update on the autocompiler recently(updated yesterday). A few people seem to be having problems, and I don't know when it's going to be fixed. Maybe search in the DST folder for the file you're looking for?

Like always awesome "updates". Thank you tho Sabeku. And the DST folder... only found there few mods I never really installed/clicked or anything xD weird.... 

Ow well.. guess waiting till they fix this update issue is the only way...

You can also drag the files into the command prompt and separate them with spaces.

XS8NCCg.gif?1