[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

I already tried starting the autocompiler manually and it didn't really do anything more than it did when it started with the game :/
Thenagain it always only shows up for some seconds, does something but almost immediatly closes itself again. Is that normal?

I already tried starting the autocompiler manually and it didn't really do anything more than it did when it started with the game :/

Thenagain it always only shows up for some seconds, does something but almost immediatly closes itself again. Is that normal?

Same as @Gaylie , I had the same issue : I placed my mod in the mods directory (my mod folder contained : modinfo.lua - modmain.lua - 2 subfolders "scripts" and "exported") I started the game (my mod should be automatically compiled once the game starts) then I enabled my mod >>> the game froze and eventually crashed to desktop...

After many attempts, this is how I solved it (assuming you're making an animation mod like me) :

* - Your mod folder must contain also an empty subfolder named "anim" to export the animation ZIP file to.

1 - Compile your mod manually ; start a Command Prompt :

Windows Start Menu > Run > type "cmd" (without ") > a command prompt will show up

2 - Drag the scml.exe file from "Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Mod Tools\mod_tools\" into it.

3 - Tap (Sapce), then drag the SCML file from the "exported" subfolder into it too.

4 - Tap (Sapce), drag your mod folder there to set up the output directory.

5 - Tap (Enter) , something similar to the gif from the tutorial shall happen.. Wait for few seconds.

6 - It's done, you compiled your mod manually, start the game, enable your mod.

I don't know if there are other methods but this one worked for me, I hope it'll help you.. Anyway if this is somehow wrong or useless, consider my apologies.. I just felt like helping.

Edited by maloussi
  • Like 1

Everything went well until I changed the artwork to look how I wanted. Now it keeps crashing when I try to turn the mod on. Also when I auto configure it won't make the anim file. I even tried scml.exe but that won't even open.

Hello I have tried out and learned the past days Paint.net but as I tested out so did I think that the extended sample character template was a bit small compared to normal characters as said by @DragonDePlatino

I was just wondering if theres a way you could make an extended sample character template with a normal character size?

Or is there a easy way to get like a wilson(Any original Don't starve character) character template without breaking the game? As I am a bit afraid of breaking the game.

In the attached file to my post so is it a picture of the Extended sample Character with a flower hat and looks like the flower hat was attached to her ears so it won't touch her/his hair/head.

The flower hat is also really big in my opinon compared to the size of the head

Ps:

The Extended sample character Template I used was the one for Don't Starve togheter from the steam workshop.

-Seveni

Other related stuff:

The avatar I have is the face of what I have done so far from the front and I say I'm not really a skilled artist and it was really annoying to resize/change the lines to proper size every time I see that the face was really small.

I'm afraid that my face will become huge if I set to proper size for the hats because the body might be small too.

But while with the problems so am I really happy that you made this tutorial and thanks @Sabeku for making the video tutorial.

:wickerbottomthanks:

post-664878-0-76810200-1436262841_thumb.

This is very helpful, considering I'm extremely new to modding. However, I've encountered a problem:

I was at 5:22 in your tutorial video. I did control+shift+f. When I went to replace the files (making sure it was "esctemplate", "my name", and *.*), it said that 34 files were replaced instead of 33. Not noticing this when I did it the first time, I continued on with the capital versions of "esctemplate" and "my name". When it was finished, I noticed that 0 files were replaced. I tried reinstalling the mod and doing this over and over again, only to have the same results.

Like I said, if I can do it, this'll be my first mod, and I really do want to get into it. If you can offer up a detailed explanation as to why this might be happening, I'd be very happy. Thank you for reading, and please respond soon!

Hi, I absolutely love this tutorial and would love to use it, but there's a slight problem. I can't find the don't starve mod folder that is mentioned in the beginning of the video. Is it because I only have don't starve together? Or because I'm on a mac and mac's are just different with games?XD 

This is very helpful, considering I'm extremely new to modding. However, I've encountered a problem:

I was at 5:22 in your tutorial video. I did control+shift+f. When I went to replace the files (making sure it was "esctemplate", "my name", and *.*), it said that 34 files were replaced instead of 33. Not noticing this when I did it the first time, I continued on with the capital versions of "esctemplate" and "my name". When it was finished, I noticed that 0 files were replaced. I tried reinstalling the mod and doing this over and over again, only to have the same results.

Like I said, if I can do it, this'll be my first mod, and I really do want to get into it. If you can offer up a detailed explanation as to why this might be happening, I'd be very happy. Thank you for reading, and please respond soon!

The files you have to rename by hand. What that is going to rename is ALL the parts that say "esctemplate" inside the files, mainly on modmain.lua, modinfo.lua, yourcharacter.lua and speech_yourcharacter.lua  

:)

Hello I have tried out and learned the past days Paint.net but as I tested out so did I think that the extended sample character template was a bit small compared to normal characters as said by @DragonDePlatino

I was just wondering if theres a way you could make an extended sample character template with a normal character size?

Or is there a easy way to get like a wilson(Any original Don't starve character) character template without breaking the game? As I am a bit afraid of breaking the game.

In the attached file to my post so is it a picture of the Extended sample Character with a flower hat and looks like the flower hat was attached to her ears so it won't touch her/his hair/head.

The flower hat is also really big in my opinon compared to the size of the head

Ps:

The Extended sample character Template I used was the one for Don't Starve togheter from the steam workshop.

-Seveni

Other related stuff:

The avatar I have is the face of what I have done so far from the front and I say I'm not really a skilled artist and it was really annoying to resize/change the lines to proper size every time I see that the face was really small.

I'm afraid that my face will become huge if I set to proper size for the hats because the body might be small too.

But while with the problems so am I really happy that you made this tutorial and thanks @Sabeku for making the video tutorial.

:wickerbottomthanks:

I'm new on this too, so about the size of the images sorry i can't help much.

About the image edition: If you use just the template used, and you just edit the images, you won't crash the game exacly 'cause you are not creating an extra file so you're not in risk of crashing your game, since you don't have to do anything (or at least not much) in your spriter files.

I'm new on this too, so about the size of the images sorry i can't help much.

About the image edition: If you use just the template used, and you just edit the images, you won't crash the game exacly 'cause you are not creating an extra file so you're not in risk of crashing your game, since you don't have to do anything (or at least not much) in your spriter files.

Yeah I figured this out and I have made the character more to the original size but I still have the size thing on mind, got me wondering if instead for making the character bigger so could we maybe move the hat somehow?

Thanks for replying  :wilsconnivingsmile:

i have finished making graphic for my character and putted all parts into sample build (single .png images) now can i somehow automatically compile this to atlas-0.png thing? or i need to do this manually (copy pasta images to 1 big image)?

My friend and I tried to start creating a character for DST, but ran into a problem upon selecting the character.

http://puu.sh/jnqv8/51c1ff9ee0.jpg

After choosing the character we were experimenting with from the character selection screen, this is what followed. The game did not crash shortly afterwards; it simply stayed like this until we exited the program. The only thing we've changed so far is the name of the character and the appropriate files, so I'm pretty lost as to what we did wrong. Could anyone provide some insight? It's the first time the two of us have done anything like this.

• Like 2

I made all art and my mod works fine, without crashes, but it works only on 50%. Icons, minimap, all theese stuff works fine, but character is still default, not mine. Help pls

Your character's map icon is located 

Don't_Starve -> mods -> (Your mod name) -> images -> map_icons

Or:

Don't Starve Togheter -> mods -> (Your mod name) -> images -> map_icons

I suppose this was what you asked for so I could have been mistaken

Edited by Seveni

Hi there! I've been trying my best to avoid doing this, but I'm getting kinda desperate. I'm getting a crash screen like other people's, but I can't figure out what's wrong. I've checked the file names at least three times, and everything is in it's place. Here is the image of my crash screen: http://i.imgur.com/jcN9uh8.png

Could anyone help me out here? Thanks! ^^

I did all following the tutorial. But when i start a new server, the game freezes right after world generation, and it says Loading.

EDIT

Ok, now it works, just... When i play the pg is invisible

Edited by rio_thunder

Hi, like many others before me I come to you today with a problem. I've been working on the editing portion of my character for about three to four days with zero success. My first few attempts led to game crashes, but i persevered. However I've come to a point where I don't understand what I messed up, because as far as the video guide and my laughably limited understanding of the text guide I haven't done anything i wasn't supposed to. My problem no longer presents itself as a simple crashing of the game do to misplaced files, rather now it manifests as such: http://puu.sh/jvMyC/a955f8a2cd.jpg (Note that my edited Character is named Miracle) the auto compiler tells me nothing of what the issue is, everything loads fine, I've followed the step now than what i did when i started on Tuesday, and yet somehow i feel as if I've taken a step backwards in terms of progressing this mod towards some form of functionality. I have no error log, or message that i can share that might make the problem clear to somebody with more experience with this than me. So, if anyone has any sort of idea as to why my character is crashing without any discernible reason please let me know.

Ever since I rebooted my computer, my compiler will not compile my exported files to the anim folder. It actually works for my ghost build, but it will not work for my normal character. The only thing I ever changed before it stopped working was replacing the hair (ears) and ponytail hair with the esctemplate_cleared blank stuff to remove them. Do you have any idea why this is not working?

Ever since I rebooted my computer, my compiler will not compile my exported files to the anim folder. It actually works for my ghost build, but it will not work for my normal character. The only thing I ever changed before it stopped working was replacing the hair (ears) and ponytail hair with the esctemplate_cleared blank stuff to remove them. Do you have any idea why this is not working?

I ran into the exact same problem as you. its not ignoring the files, its actually running into an error so fast that the CMD closes before you can see it. as i figured somewhat with my problem, the reason its not compiling is because it has something to do with the textures you replaced. to see the error, pull up a normal CMD window, drag the autocompiler.exe into the CMD, hit enter, and wait till it finishes. then you will see what the CMD ran into, without the window closing. its highly likely you have the exact same problem as me, so the only thing you can do now is redo the textures and hope the "compiler" will accept them. Hopes this helps, and good luck.

Gah. I've just started the tutorial video, watching it. It seems like it cannot find the 1 thing to replacement, and instead of finding 33, it found 45, is this normal?

Gah. I've just started the tutorial video, watching it. It seems like it cannot find the 1 thing to replacement, and instead of finding 33, it found 45, is this normal?