What other resources should punish the player for abuse?

Sliver

Not that quickly, sadly. There's a lot of content planned for winter!

I actually think sanity will make it in first, because it has a lighter art requirement. Our animators need a lot of lead time to make new winter creatures.

That is probably one of the most straightforward posts Kevin has ever given us. He finally decided not to confuse us. :D Well, not counting the roadmap.

That is probably one of the most straightforward posts Kevin has ever given us. He finally decided not to confuse us. :D Well, not counting the roadmap.

maybe the devs planned to add winter before christmas break. but unfortunately, they didn't finished polishing it enough. Kevin sounds frustrated for not giving it to us on christmas, after all its winter season irl. not in my country though.

Players should be "challenged" not "punished" that really says it all. Make a resource unavailable, put in a hunger meter, just make it new, interesting, and fun. Not monotonous, boring, and grind-like.

If players leave too many corpses laying around spawn scavengers like hyenas, if they farm too much carnivorous weeds might be fun, if they eat just one type of food a nutrition meter may force them to EITHER grow more of the crop and eat more of it, or diversify their diet. If we have too many spiders maybe carnivorous plants in general can eat the spiders to balance things and cut down on the boredom factor?

I really worry about the direction the game seems to be going. I don't want spiders to just take over the world. I avoid farming because it is boring and monotonous, but then I don't want to just hunt spiders all the time lest that one creature take over the entire world.

Hopefully kevin is taking this into account already but I guess that's my beta feedback. :)

Edited by winddbourne

maybe the devs planned to add winter before christmas break. but unfortunately, they didn't finished polishing it enough. Kevin sounds frustrated for not giving it to us on christmas, after all its winter season irl. not in my country though.

I doubt that honestly, winter sounds like a massive new addition consisting of more then just adding snow and cold.

I agree with you winddbourne that spiders should not take over the entire world. A natural enemy to keep the spiders somewhat in check would be a good option to do just that.

I doubt that honestly, winter sounds like a massive new addition consisting of more then just adding snow and cold.

I agree with you winddbourne that spiders should not take over the entire world. A natural enemy to keep the spiders somewhat in check would be a good option to do just that.

i meant just the graphical addition of snow..

you see, we dont experience snow here on my country so...at the very least in the game i want to! even just for design :D

• Developer
Players should be "challenged" not "punished" that really says it all. Make a resource unavailable, put in a hunger meter, just make it new, interesting, and fun. Not monotonous, boring, and grind-like.

If players leave too many corpses laying around spawn scavengers like hyenas, if they farm too much carnivorous weeds might be fun, if they eat just one type of food a nutrition meter may force them to EITHER grow more of the crop and eat more of it, or diversify their diet. If we have too many spiders maybe carnivorous plants in general can eat the spiders to balance things and cut down on the boredom factor?

I really worry about the direction the game seems to be going. I don't want spiders to just take over the world. I avoid farming because it is boring and monotonous, but then I don't want to just hunt spiders all the time lest that one creature take over the entire world.

Hopefully kevin is taking this into account already but I guess that's my beta feedback. :)

Thanks for the feedback! This is a beta process, and you're seeing the game progress as it is being made. Sometimes things will be added that seem a bit out of place or unbalanced. We can't add everything at once, so things are bound to get out of whack from time to time as our attention and effort shifts.

We are building towards a cohesive end-goal, however. I think that sanity, winter, and portal progression will change the game radically from what it is now. With these factors, and three months of balancing and tweaking, you won't see most people sitting on top of massive farmed stockpiles at day 100+, because they will either have died or chosen to do something else by then.

You might still see long-term base builders in free-play mode, but they will have chosen to do so by adjusting their world gen parameters to give themselves a more relaxed game. There will be Some... other... tHings for them tO do with their time, that I don't really want to diVulge quitE yet. We have at Least 6 more months of development post-launch to refine this experience.

Hehe, good to hear Kevin and good to know you will never stop with the riddles.

The only thing I still worry about with Dont Starve is if we will get many different biomes such as in Minecraft, but still, that is a concern for later.

Edited by 501105

• Developer

The only thing I still worry about with Dont Starve is if we will get many different biomes such as in Minecraft, but still, that is a concern for later.

I think we need to push our current biomes apart more before we add too many more. We need more landmarks and special things to find, as well. The graveyards are a start, but there will eventually be more. Remnants of previous interlopers' camps, traces of Maxwell's dead civilization, sanity-sapping magical artefacts, etc...

If there were more things to find in the world, people would be more likely to go looking for them!

I'd also like for the ground tiles to be meaningful. All in good time...

You might still see long-term base builders in free-play mode, but they will have chosen to do so by adjusting their world gen parameters to give themselves a more relaxed game.

You have no idea how glad I am to read this little line. It's something I'd been thinking about suggesting for awhile, though I haven't had much time to pick through the forums. My girlfriend was playing this game all weekend and she loved it, but she was getting a little frustrated when she had to re-make her base over and over. Made me sort of wish there was an option for a persistent world, but it sounds like that's in the works! Minecraft has us both conditioned to be nesters, I think.

We both like the novelty of losing everything when we die sometimes, though.

Edit: That said, great game. I heard about it on Giantbomb and watched their quicklook. I fell in love with the style and gameplay and promptly bought it. Couldn't wait to get home and play. It's awesome seeing that "next update" number tick down and also refreshing to see devs so actively engaged in the community and dedicated to improving their game. I've got no doubts that this game's going to be great. Looking forward to cold/sanity.

Edited by jero

I'm so glad this thread kicked off.

While I still agree with my original post, perhaps there is the possibility of this game being totally unacceptable to new players. Getting constantly attacked by hounds, treeguards, krampus, and horrible plant monsters without knowing why could be an issue. It could be fun for new and old players to try and survive while many terrible things seem to not be okay with that, but a constant barrage by forces you don't understand could very well mean the commercial failure of this wonderful game.

I love you, Kevin. I'm sure you've thought of this, and I hope you have, because I have no idea how to balance this all out.

Edited by Sliver

I'm so glad this thread kicked off.

While I still agree with my original post, perhaps there is the possibility of this game being totally unacceptable to new players. Getting constantly attacked by hounds, treeguards, krampus, and horrible plant monsters without knowing why could be an issue.

I love you, Kevin. I'm sure you've thought of this, and I hope you have, because I have no idea how to balance this all out.

To be perfectly fair, there will be a freeplay mode in which you can make the world easier for yourself and it is advertised as a ``Uncompromising Survival & World Exploration``.

I want a bunny king to protect the grass lands. A massive, fuzzy bunny king to protect the bunnies, grass tufts and carrots.

....Then I want to be able to tame and ride it. e_e

I'd be ok with the farms going slower, I only ever use t3 farms, but that is mostly because I like how dapper they look with the picket fencing on them. I've never managed to starve to death while playing, and I don't even abuse the farms, at most I might have 4 at a time. Of course with winter this might change.

Really though I would like to see some of the weaker monsters/animals get some kind of tier/guardian to them.

Bunnies get guardian Bunny-men or a Gaint Easter bunny that wanders in commonly hunted rabbit holes.

Birds get a increase rate on gobblers appearing, or maybe something like a owl spawning and attacking you at night.

Saplings get...uh...a beaver that eats twigs.

Just something to make us go out and look for new spots to hunt.

I want to explore more in the game (which has very often lead to my death). Nothing is more exciting for me then to find a new graveyard to dig up for rocket-ships or to find the freaking Pig-king finally. To hear we are getting more special places is super exciting. I'd rather see more reasons to explore then to fear going out and gathering.

I made

yesterday. It's the same one I linked in the des.19 update thread, so if you saw it there, well, you've seen it already. Mostly to show how easy the spiders have been to farm. Hoping the update wil fix it. Maybe nerf the traps somehow? They are too effective really. We'll see tomorrow :)

For an anti-farming monster, what about a giant, underground worm that will ruin crops, destroy farm plots, and even attempt to swallow you whole? Alternatively, it could be triggered by farming manure or it could always be lurking around beefalo herds and will be drawn to the herd and kill a beefalo if you hang around too much.

You could also consider giving beefalo an aggression condition. Maybe they attack on contact or prolonged proximity. Something to make farming manure take a bit more effort. Dunno', just spitballin' here.

You could also consider giving beefalo an aggression condition. Maybe they attack on contact or prolonged proximity. Something to make farming manure take a bit more effort. Dunno', just spitballin' here.

Wait they don't already? Whenever I get close and they do that growl thing I back off lol I always thought they'd attack after being too close.

Anyway on topic Kevin everything you said sounds brilliant, and I'm not so patiently waiting for them :p

Also Club, I like your ideas. A beaver would be kinda cool but then they would have to balance that so it wouldn't just be another source of meet and teeth or something. The bunny king is just pure win, after you kill so many bunnies from a few holes he comes out and chases you, and runs faster then you so you have to fight... sounds amazing.

The idea of farm plots spawning a monster and taking over your base is fantastic. Maybe the longer you don't kill it the more it reproduces as well? Only up to a certain number of course, don't want to overrun the world lol :p

Super excited for the patch tomorrow