Do you have Don't Starve questions?

Thinking of doing a lights out challenge... most reliable source of food?

I did a lights out mode awhile back and found that I was utilizing ice to make meatballs year round.  I harvested all icebergs throughout winter and was able to nearly fill one with ice (and use the second  for other foods).  With the surplus of monster meat from spider farms I added one of those with 3 ice to the crockpot.  

This has proven to be my favorite way to make meals.  So much that I incorporated it into my play style in "normal" mode.  It just seems easier to spend a week or so collecting ice (which never spoils in the icebox by the way) then farming year round.  Seems more efficient to me...

The most difficult part of lights out for me was the sanity drain.  I didn't want to play with Maxwell because it would have made it too easy.  Definitely try and use all the sanity benefits the game has.  Every piece of meat (that wasn't monster) was dried for jerky.  Along with that, I made it a priority to get Glommer and the Tam O'Shanter as quickly as possibly.

What do you do when you have pretty much all your base set up?  I'm currently on day 112 with wendy and have pretty much all the stuff that i need set up (crock pots, ice boxes drying racks, beefalo pens, panic room etc etc) and i'm getting kind of bored because to further expand my base i only need one resource : Stone. Does it come down to that? Wait out the night and then go gather stones then rinse and repeat? That's not fun at all!

On a related question: How can you take 1000 days with wes? I've only played 1/10 of that and i'm already demoted to gather stone for the rest of my life

I would say there are two things you can do at this point.  Find ways to make this game/world interesting or start a new one where you add limitations/rules/difficulty to make it more interesting for yourself.  

Option A: Staying in this world

Once you have your base well maintained I'm assuming you have methods to keep your hunger, health and sanity up.  Not sure what your current world looks like but the obvious answer would be to make sure you have explored every bit of the over world.  If you have already done that, go down to the caves (there are usually 3-4 per world) and explore every inch of those.  Then when you have done that, explore the ruins (they are located inside the caves).  If you have completely conquered your world by doing all of these things I would recommend the second option.

Option B: Set up a world with your own limitations/rules/increased difficulty

The reason you are not enjoying your game right now is because it familiar to you.  You know how to do everything to stay alive and there isn't any real threat.  Basically you are too comfortable in your base.  I would recommend you create a new world and change the settings by giving yourself less resources you typically use often or upping the hostile mobs.

There are also certain game modes that other players have created to make the Don't Starve more difficult for themselves.  The most well known one is lights out mode.  This is where you set the world settings to always night.  You'd be surprised how much this changes things and adds to the replay value.

If I destroy an active Telelocator Focus, do I get all three gems back or is it wiser to take them out first?

Can I use Killer Bees for items needing bees?

I have a problem with farming during RoG summer in that the ice fling-o-matics only water fresh crops once, which isn't enough to keep them from dying. I've heard this isn't supposed to be the case and that ice fling-o-matics are supposed to help out properly. Am I doing something wrong?

Bacon and eggs or meatballs? Meatballs take a lot less time but don't replenish as much hunger or health and does not require the extra steps of converting meat to eggs. Bacon and eggs on the other hand give more hunger and more health, but take more time to make. What one is better?

I got a few questions. I have been playing DST a lot recently and it seems that I cant find a good combat setup. I had Marble armor, Hambat, Football helmet, I attacked an ewecus 15x and got my ass beat. I attacked a pig town with log armor pig helmet and hambat and got killed by 3-4 pigs. In my opinion the resources it cost to make this crap should give me some kind of advantage I combat and im having a hard time figuring it out. Can you give me a link or explain advanced combat strategies to me.

I got a few questions. I have been playing DST a lot recently and it seems that I cant find a good combat setup. I had Marble armor, Hambat, Football helmet, I attacked an ewecus 15x and got my ass beat. I attacked a pig town with log armor pig helmet and hambat and got killed by 3-4 pigs. In my opinion the resources it cost to make this crap should give me some kind of advantage I combat and im having a hard time figuring it out. Can you give me a link or explain advanced combat strategies to me.

It's better to not fight multiple enemies at once. Even two weak ones will turn out to be very inconvenient when fought at once. The basic strategy in all cases is to either have mobs fight each other or to kite one opponent yourself.

If you have to battle pigs that live together, start with feeding them. If you feed one meat, it'll follow you and you can have them battle something that'll kill them or do the job yourself. This includes other pigs so you're certain to end up with loot. Though it has my preference to feed one four Monster Foods and have it turn into a werepig. It's more aggressive and stronger, but the other pigs won't come to its aid and the loot is 2x meat + 1x pig tail. Monster Meat is easily obtained from a pig village if you build a spider den there (and you might get more pig loot in the process too).

For that matter, the ewecus is designed to be fought by multiple users, but it works too if you bring along a pig army.

It's better to not fight multiple enemies at once. Even two weak ones will turn out to be very inconvenient when fought at once. The basic strategy in all cases is to either have mobs fight each other or to kite one opponent yourself.

If you have to battle pigs that live together, start with feeding them. If you feed one meat, it'll follow you and you can have them battle something that'll kill them or do the job yourself. This includes other pigs so you're certain to end up with loot. Though it has my preference to feed one four Monster Foods and have it turn into a werepig. It's more aggressive and stronger, but the other pigs won't come to its aid and the loot is 2x meat + 1x pig tail. Monster Meat is easily obtained from a pig village if you build a spider den there (and you might get more pig loot in the process too).

For that matter, the ewecus is designed to be fought by multiple users, but it works too if you bring along a pig army.

It would seem I need to spend more time screwing around with the mechanics of the species in dont starve.

I ended up going back to find the ewecus after I died and killed it. I received steel wool and phlem. I was told those items have no use as of yet... Is that true?

It would seem I need to spend more time screwing around with the mechanics of the species in dont starve.

I ended up going back to find the ewecus after I died and killed it. I received steel wool and phlem. I was told those items have no use as of yet... Is that true?

You can find tips on these forums or on the DS wiki if you rather do that than trial and error (considering there's many possible errors and most errors mean death).

Those items indeed can't be used yet. Just hold onto them for now.

Armor is overpowered if you learn how not to get hit in meele, a.k.a kiting. Deerclops does 3 damage to your health if you have logsuit and football hat, as an example. Kiting: You hit an enemy a x number of times, then before he starts doing the attack animation, you run, when he finished the attack, go back and hit him more. When you start getting good at it, combat it's so easy.

Yesssss! After a week of failures, I've finally managed to beat A Cold Reception! All I need to beat are King of Winter, Two Worlds, Darkness and then I think I'll be able to do all of them in one run. And thanks for the Teleportato advice! I'll be going into Archipelago with a Marble Suit, Breezy Vest, 16 Gold and 13 carrots.

One question, though...Were those good items to bring? I was just about on the brink of death when I swapped worlds, so I didn't want to venture back and find better items. Also, what's the best way to raise and lower the obelisks in King of Winter? I remember having a lot of difficulty last time just getting them to fall.

When I did it -- and I'm not a very good player, mind you -- I typically tried to bring a stack of silk, a stack of pigskins, the walking cane and the Tam into each world. Two Worlds is super easy though, so you don't need much. With Darkness, I swapped the skins and silks for the miner's helmet and a full stack of jerky.

Is it possible for Chester not to spawn in a world? 

Will sleeping at dusk before a full moon as Woodie skip it?

How does one kite giants? (I don't want to be an Old Bell scrub anymore) 

Is there some kind of meat that doesn't make the Rabbits aggro in caves? (Trying to do a cave run as Wigfrid)

And finaly, do you have to stay closeby to spider nests for them to upgrade? I want to break a tier 3 but all I have atm are 3 tier 1's quite far from my base and I want to know if I have to spend a season over there or something.

Thanks!  :lemo:

Is it possible for Chester not to spawn in a world?

That's strange... I've never had him not spawn. And I've played lots of maps, on account of dying a lot. Try near roads, esp frog ponds, or edges of a swamp.

I saw your other topic, and I think that that generation issue was probably solved by Klei devs long ago. Maybe map generation is recursive with a list of things that must absolutely spawn (the Things, Maxwell's Door, Chester) and the map won't stop churning out until these things are placed. Just guessing...

How does one kite giants? (I don't want to be an Old Bell scrub anymore)

Check this video by Flare for Dragonfly.

You can probably find vids for the other giants on YT. Good luck. :D

And finaly, do you have to stay closeby to spider nests for them to upgrade? I want to break a tier 3 but all I have atm are 3 tier 1's quite far from my base and I want to know if I have to spend a season over there or something.

Nope. If you leave them alone, they usually reach level 3 in 12-15 days. (Might have to check wiki on this.) If the spiders are always dying though, it might take a couple days longer to reach level 3. For example, if there's a pig near the nest who's always attacking the spiders and emptying it out, the nest takes longer to level up. That's my personal observation. I could be wrong about the pigs. XD But I'm sure that spider nests level up even if you're offscreen.

(Hey, you're trying out Wigfrid. Yey!)

Thanks man I appreciate it :D 

(Hey, you're trying out Wigfrid. Yey!)

Yep I am, don't think Im going to last too much longer though, Deerclops destroyed all my drying racks before I could get to him and all of my food is almost spoiled... We never know, the three tallbirds I set camp next to might respawn, same goes for the two Mactusk camps. Now that I think about it, I should be fine. 

Thanks for your answers :D

If I have say 10 Nightmare fuel, I put nine into chester during the full moon so I can get a shadow chester, and then I put one extra Nightmare Fuel into chester to make a stack of 2. Do I lose the extra Nightmare Fuel?

So this probably does not belong here but I might as well try and see if you guys can help me before creating a topic about a bug, IDK.

I think my world is kinda messed up, I spend summers in my cave base, but as I went down the sinkhole, it started raining, so I open the console and it says something like "SPRING TIME". I had just the Seasons Clock mod, thinking that I might have messed up my save, I immediately Alt+F4'd and reloaded the save with the mod disabled. It was summer on the caves, all right. But then I realized it was day 540 or something, but in the overworld it was day 505. Did that happen to anyone else? I spent almost the whole summer in caves, coming out on the last 3 or 4 days, no sign of Dragonfly :( Can this "desync" cause any trouble to my save? Is there a command on the console to "fix" the day count at the caves?

Edit: forgot to mention that the time "freezes" at the cave, when I came back several days later, my fire pit was still lit and the light bulbs that I picked didn't regrow

how you know how much protection is clothes in summer/winter ? I mean wiki says "240" protect but you will still overheat/freeze just take more time to do effect, how know that time ?

The way I understand it is in winter, your temperature drops by 1 degree at a time. I don't remember if this is 1 degree per minute or what, but each time the game does a temperature change of your core, it drops by one degree.

Call it heat loss of 1*.

Now, with insulation you do this forumula 30 / (30 + insulation) = new heat loss rate. So with zero insulation you get 30 / 30 = 1*. With a Winter Hat with an insulation factor of 120, then you have 30 / (30 + 120) = 30 / 150 = 0.2*. So instead of your core temperature dropping by 1 degree at a time, it only drops by 0.2 degrees at a time. Now look at something like the Beefalo Hat with a factor of 240. 30 / 270 = 0.11*degree loss at a time. With a full Beefalo Hat + Hibernation Vest you get a loss of 30 / (30 + 240 + 240) = 30 / 510 = 0.06 degrees loss per time.

So you still lose body temperature, but you lose it mush slower.

At least, i THINK this is how it works. Clothing slows the rate of body temperature change, but it won't STOP it completely.

Archived