Good idea for Dont Starve in steam.

Klei has said no to achievements like a bajillion times, as it's not an achievement like game. That'd just dampen the whole mood of the game and make players go for achievements instead of actually play it.

As weirdobob said, Klei was, and always has been averse to the idea of adding achievements, mostly because they basically give the player a set of objectives that they "should" do. Don't Starve is more focused on letting the player decide what they want to do, and figure out things by themselves as opposed to being told what to do by arbitrary achievements. In fact, when Klei was forced to add achievements to Don't Starve for the Ps3 version, it ended up as sort of a joke, them even going so far as to create an item labeled "The Accomploshrine" that was tied to an achievement to use it X number of times to parody the completionist attitude of some people playing these games just to get even the most absurd achievements.

No, it isn't.  The game has tons of features and options already.  The lack of achievements in no way means a lack of content.

Besides achievements, what exactly do you feel the game is missing?  And please feel free to not bold your reply, it kinda looks like you're shouting at us.  Just use the standard font formatting and we'll be able to read what you write just fine.

I kind of agree with OP. I know it's not klei's policy, to let people do what they want, and it's not about a lack of content, but it can add some flavor, specially with absurd achievements! Look at the Stanley Parable for example. Another example from my experience is with CK2 (paradox's grand strategy game), where achievements actually gave me some ideas of gameplay I wouldn't have thought about otherwise.

Besides, Don't have some characters to unlock, achievements for them wouldn't hurt a bit. And why not achievements about exploration, reaching underground, building portals etc..., things you normally do in a playthrough?

In fact I don't think achiev and klei's vision are incompatible imho.

I kind of agree with OP. I know it's not klei's policy, to let people do what they want, and it's not about a lack of content, but it can add some flavor, specially with absurd achievements! Look at the Stanley Parable for example. Another example from my experience is with CK2 (paradox's grand strategy game), where achievements actually gave me some ideas of gameplay I wouldn't have thought about otherwise.

Besides, Don't have some characters to unlock, achievements for them wouldn't hurt a bit. And why not achievements about exploration, reaching underground, building portals etc..., things you normally do in a playthrough?

In fact I don't think achiev and klei's vision are incompatible imho.

because that's boring and pointless if you're going to do it anyway. Besides, the game is built on mystery, experimentation, not knowing what lurks in the darkness. If you have all these achievements telling you what to do, that takes the mystery out of the game. I remember my first run in with clockworks, I was so scared, my wolfgang might've pissed himself. I don't want Don't Starve becoming another one of those "Do this, Do that" farmville type games.

To make more of a point to that...

The first time I played don't starve:

• I died in winter of freezing... unlocking Willow (which is kind of an accomplishment)
  • Played willow, loved the immunity to Charlie (was still creeped-out about the swooping sound though) 
  • Died from being chased by a tallbird (it chased me for half the land mass) and I didn't yet know how to kite and kill...
  • Unlocked Wendy and learned the true meaning of Christmas... by spawning and dying from a walking pine tree...
  • Tried again... died of a Hound Attack...

And the frustration and feeling of ACCOMPLISHMENT after learning from these mistakes (deaths) has made me a better player... able to build a fully functional base even before summer ends...

So, in fact, Klei has already added the accomplishment function... you just haven't unlocked it for yourself yet.

also...

:nomultipl:

Irony.. but a good one :3

beefalo

Charlie...

the turtle-monster that Wilson... :3

bye...

Archived