Sign in to follow this  
pokebirds

heading into a swamp; any tips?

pokebirds    20

i currently got a logsuit and spear, but i feel like im rushing into this. i got some graves nearby, should i dig them or i just rush in and get some reeds? i feel like this is going to be a bad expirence, but the game is about dieing right?

RIGHT?!

Ora    10

Well as long as you just get out of the way any time a tentacle pops up, you should be alright. But it only takes a couple hits from a tentacle to kill you, so be careful.

w00tyd00d    188

Very true, the game is indeed about dying. Be sure to have a log suit on you, and when you're harvesting reeds, try running a circle around them to see if there's a swamp monster before you harvest them. You're on your own for the rest of the way, thus the name of the game. :D

pokebirds    20

thank you... i'll say if i die. :( death, here i come!

EDIT: i died. not from a swamp monster, but from hounds. i was walking home when they came (volume was off) and they chased me by my tall birds, and the birds got protective and hit me. one hit from the hounds, and i died. at least i got all the characters unlocked!

Edited by pokebirds

pokebirds    20

...where are the reeds!?

EDIT: whats the time it takes for reeds to respawn, because so far, there is only one reed in my swamp, and it's a very small swamp indeed.

Edited by pokebirds

w00tyd00d    188

Usually near ponds and grouped together, keep an eye on your map.

EDIT: They spawn when you spawn the world, they're already there. If you can't find any try to search farther or find another swamp biome.

Xuhybrid    169

As long as ur wearing a log suit you can just run straight. If u run directly over a tentacle or more than one, thats the only time ur gonna get hit. After a few you should be able to keep an eye out on the floor and dodge them but like everything with this game, its all about trial and error. Try it urself, you might die but, oh well

By the way, i think reeds/grass/saplings all respawn after 3 days but i haven't fully tested it.

Edited by Xuhybrid

pokebirds    20
As long as ur wearing a log suit you can just run straight. If u run directly over a tentacle or more than one, thats the only time ur gonna get hit. After a few you should be able to keep an eye out on the floor and dodge them but like everything with this game, its all about trial and error. Try it urself, you might die but, oh well

By the way, i think reeds/grass/saplings all respawn after 3 days but i haven't fully tested it.

Thanks. :) i think my issue is solved.

Zoik    10

If you're trying to pass through, running through with a log suit will help you survive in case you get hit. If you're trying to explore and farm reeds, I suggest leaving marks where the the tentacles are if you're not planning to fight them.

I used to carry an extra stack of twigs and drop one near the left side of the tentacle if I see one about to come out so next time I go to the swamp and when I started fighting them, I knew where they are exactly.

Ora    10

I personally just run through swamps with my football helmet and backpack equipped. I only really don the logsuit if I know I am about to enter a combat situation, such as about to engage a bunch of pigmen or beefalo, or I am hearing the warning noises for the hounds. The logsuit is for planned engagements. The football helmet is worn at all times just in case of a nasty surprise.

DJoyzM    10

I think reeds re-spawn per day?

Its best to bring 6-8 honey, log suit and spear.

If you want to hunt for tentacles, just do hit and run but be sure that the direction u running to is not towards another tentacles, they tend to group up nearby each other to get a hit land on ya. Normally would be 2-3.

I suggest you move downward to explore the spawn, move upward when escaping cause it just seems to me that moving upward is faster than moving downward or is it the same? I'm not that sure but to me it is faster

And spots with monster meats lying around = tentacles

pokebirds    20
I think reeds re-spawn per day?

Its best to bring 6-8 honey, log suit and spear.

If you want to hunt for tentacles, just do hit and run but be sure that the direction u running to is not towards another tentacles, they tend to group up nearby each other to get a hit land on ya. Normally would be 2-3.

I suggest you move downward to explore the spawn, move upward when escaping cause it just seems to me that moving upward is faster than moving downward or is it the same? I'm not that sure but to me it is faster

... i don't think i need any more tips. i got the reeds, and im alive. i don't think i'll be fighting tentacals. AT ALL.

Zind    10

But they drop tentacle spikes, the best weapon in the game! Not with a 100% chance though, but still at a fairly frequent rate. And they're actually among the easiest monsters to kill, since they're immobile and quite slow.

Just move close to one to make it pop out, back off a few steps, wait until it swipes twice, come back to hit it once, back off, wait until it swipes twice, come back to hit it once, etc etc... That's much easier than a group of 8 spiders or 6+ enraged pigs.

501105    20

Not to mention that tentacles can drop tentacle spots, a rare ingredient needed for the feather hat.