KaStar's Don't Starve Fanart Scirbbles

post-503874-0-62633400-1423193634_thumb.

Something I've been messing around with for fun.

I don't plan on making this character as a mod. If anything, she would just be for fanart/fanfiction dabbles.

A few things about her:

- The idea for her character is based on a mix of magic and music. (More about this in later posts)

- Her name is based on the song, "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas.

- She's not from the same timeline as the other characters. She from our present time. (I like the idea that people from future time periods can be taken to the world of Don't Starve.)

- She's American, but her family history is a mix of German & Polish.

- She doesn't talk much. She's more of a deep thinker. She uses music to help her think straight, and she can't stand long periods of quiet. It makes her think of things she doesn't like... (More about this in later posts)

What do you guys think? I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback. Thanks!

Edited by KaStar23
  • Like 6

attachicon.gifDS_wayward.png

I don't plan on making this character as a mod. If anything, she would just be for fanart/fanfiction dabbles.

A few things about her:

- The idea for her character is based on a mix of magic and music. (More about this in later posts)

- She's not from the same timeline as the other characters. She from our present time. (I like the idea that people from future time periods can be taken to the world of Don't Starve.)

- She doesn't talk much. She's more of a deep thinker. She uses music to help her think straight, and she can't stand long periods of quiet. It makes her think of things she doesn't like... (More about this in later posts)

What do you guys think? I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback. Thanks!

post-503874-0-33238600-1423209447_thumb.

More stuff on Wayward (My DS OC)

- Music is her lifeline; before she was brought to the Don't Starve world, it was her way to deal with things in the normal world. (e.i. stress, depression, etc)

- She discovers that she can use the gems in the DS world to power her headphones. Thanks to their magic properties, they allow her to listen to whatever type of music she wishes to hear.

- Depending on the color of the gem, the music Wayward listens can effect her. (Example, a red gem will give her keen focus and a power boost for fighting.)

- The downside; using the gems for anything other then just for listening to music drains her sanity like CRAZY. She has high sanity, but that doesn't seem to help much.

- Music help keep the voices away; Wayward has experience with 'strange happenings' even before she was brought to the DS world. Things are drawn to her, and she uses music to shield herself from those 'things'.

• Like 4

attachicon.gifDS_wayward.png

A few things about her:

attachicon.gifDS_wayward_redgem.png

More stuff on Wayward (My DS OC)

- Music is her lifeline; before she was brought to the Don't Starve world, it was her way to deal with things in the normal world. (e.i. stress, depression, etc)

- She discovers that she can use the gems in the DS world to power her headphones. Thanks to their magic properties, they allow her to listen to whatever type of music she wishes to hear.

- Depending on the color of the gem, the music Wayward listens can effect her. (Example, a red gem will give her keen focus and a power boost for fighting.)

- The downside; using the gems for anything other then just for listening to music drains her sanity like CRAZY. She has high sanity, but that doesn't seem to help much.

- Music help keep the voices away; Wayward has experience with 'strange happenings' even before she was brought to the DS world. Things are drawn to her, and she uses music to shield herself from those 'things'.

About the song I got Wayward's name from;

I don't know if the lyrics to "Carry On My Wayward Son" can be used more to her character or not. I want to see what you guys think. Here are the lyrics:

Carry on my wayward son,

There'll be peace when you are done

Lay your weary head to rest

Don't you cry no more

Once I rose above the noise and confusion

Just to get a glimpse beyond the illusion

I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man

Though my mind could think I still was a mad man

I hear the voices when I'm dreamin', I can hear them say

Carry on my wayward son,

Don't you cry no more

Masquerading as a man with a reason

My charade is the event of the season

And if I claim to be a wise man, well, it surely means that I don't know

On a stormy sea of moving emotion

Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean

I set a course for winds of fortune, but I hear the voices say

Carry on my wayward son,

Don't you cry no more

Carry on, you will always remember

Carry on, nothing equals the splendor

Now your life's no longer empty

Surely heaven waits for you

Carry on my wayward son,

Don't you cry no more

Edited by KaStar23

I was looking up more information on the gems in the game, and I came across something interesting.

I know the Red Gem and Blue Gem represent Fire and Ice (Fire Staff and Ice Staff respectively), but I always thought the Purple Gem would stand for Magic, since it’s used for a lot of magic crafting stuff.

But according to the Don’t Starve Wiki, the Purple Gem actually stands for Darkness, and in turn, the Yellow Gem is Light. So just like the Red and Blue gems, Purple and Yellow are polar opposites.

This gave me more ideas for the effects gems would have on Wayward, my DS OC.

Wayward can use gems to power her headphones, and when needed, she can use their magic properties to give her some sort of effect. Most effects drain her Sanity and comes with some form of downside or risk.

Red Gem

• Effect Granted: Enhanced focus and strength for fighting.
  • Visible Changes: Eyes glow with a wispy, flowing red light (because of her increased focus), and her attacks become dangerously strong.
  • Downside/Risk: Wayward may not be able to tell the difference between friends and foe while in this state. She becomes like a berserker.
  • Time Effect Last: Maximum 5 minutes.

Blue Gem

• Effect Granted: Enhanced speed and balance.
  • Visible Changes: Wayward’s footsteps leave behind a blue, vapor-like energy. She also can dodge attacks easier.
  • Downside/Risk: Both her Hunger and Health will take a blow, so unless she’s in perfect health and has a full stomach, she will come out of this effect near death as well as going crazy.
  • Time Effect Last: Maximum 5 minutes.

Purple Gem

• Effect Granted: Shadow possession, shadow manipulation, and AOE (Area of Effect) type attacks via shadow spikes and hands.
  • Visible Changes: Eyes glow with a creepy, purple mist flowing from them. She doesn’t blink while in this state. Her body also becomes like a Shadow beacon; any Shadow creatures near by will be drawn to and ‘absorbed’ into her body.
  • Downside/Risk: While this effect is the strongest, it’s stupid deadly and dangerous to both Wayward and anyone who may be close to her. Not only does it bring her Sanity in the red, but she’s not in control. In reality, this effect is allowing Shadows to use her as a temporary vessel, all gathered at a single point. Think of it like a bomb getting ready to blow.
  • Time Effect Last: Maximum 1 minute.

Yellow Gem

• Effect Granted: Sanity regeneration (both for herself and those near her), and her body gives off as much light as a fire pit.
  • Visible Changes: Body radiates light, and she keeps her eyes close while in this state, normally while kneeling in a meditation-like position.
  • Downside/Risk: Wayward will be staving by the time this effect is over, so it’s best she has a full stomach before doing it.
  • Time Effect Last: Maximun 1 minute.
  • Like 2

I was looking up more information on the gems in the game, and I came across something interesting.

I know the Red Gem and Blue Gem represent Fire and Ice (Fire Staff and Ice Staff respectively), but I always thought the Purple Gem would stand for Magic, since it’s used for a lot of magic crafting stuff.

But according to the Don’t Starve Wiki, the Purple Gem actually stands for Darkness, and in turn, the Yellow Gem is Light. So just like the Red and Blue gems, Purple and Yellow are polar opposites.

I want to point out that this kind of balance you discovered there also affects the other two gems:

Green gems represent effort and efficiency. Their colour may be inspired by plants (as they take air, sun and water to form such peculiar things as wood, cotton, etc).

Orange gems, on the other hand, represent laziness and wastefulness. Their colour isn't even quite the opposite of green, too lazy to do research, eh? :p

• Like 1

I want to point out that this kind of balance you discovered there also affects the other two gems:

Green gems represent effort and efficiency. Their colour may be inspired by plants (as they take air, sun and water to form such peculiar things as wood, cotton, etc).

Orange gems, on the other hand, represent laziness and wastefulness. Their colour isn't even quite the opposite of green, too lazy to do research, eh? :razz:

Yeah, I know about that as well. However, I can't think of how those two gems would effect Wayward. I am open to ideas and suggestions. :)

Orange gems, on the other hand, represent laziness and wastefulness. Their colour isn't even quite the opposite of green, too lazy to do research, eh? :razz:

Oh! OH! I think I've got it for the Green and Orange Gems! A friend of mine and I were talking about it, and this is what we came up with:

Green Gem

• Effect Granted: Healing/Health Transfer (Wayward can give a portion of her own health to someone else by laying her hands on them.)
  • Visible Changes: Hands give off a soft, leafy green glow.
  • Downside/Risk: Health draining, of course. She's just has to be careful not to over do it.
  • Time Effect Last: Varies; once Wayward offers her Health the effect ends.

Orange Gem

• Effect Granted: Health Draining (Wayward steals health from another living creature or person for herself.)
  • Visible Changes: Eyes glow with a pale orange color. Once she spots a target she opens her mouth and 'sucks' life force out of the target, la a 'energy vampire'. She doesn't have to be touching them, she just has to be able to see them.
  • Downside/Risk: Massive Sanity drain. If she's not careful she could go completely insane in a matter of moments.
  • Time Effect Last: Varies; Wayward can stop whenever she wants to, she just has to be careful not to go total crazy from Sanity loss. But once she stops, the effect ends.

I realized that if you use a Red Gem (Fire) to make a Life Giving Amulet, then why not have the Green and Orange gems do something other then what they stand for?

In Wayward's case, the Green Gem reflects Self-Sacrifice, she gives up her own Health for the sake of another. On the other hand, the Orange Gem reflects Self-Indulgence, she steals health from another for herself.

Thoughts? :3

• Like 1

Do you plan to do any more of the care/sick drawings? I really enjoyed those. and the comics. :grin:

Yes! However, I am super busy with work right now, so I don't have too much time to devote to those at the moment.

The Giant comic has four more pages drafted out, and I hope to work on the next page soon.

• Like 1

Yes! However, I am super busy with work right now, so I don't have too much time to devote to those at the moment.

The Giant comic has four more pages drafted out, and I hope to work on the next page soon.

Take your time, your art is some of my favorite! I love it!

I'm planning on doing a livestream tomorrow. Since it'll be Valentines Day, I plan to take the day off. :3

Don't Starve related doodles will happen, and maybe some other stuff too. ^^ I will post the link here when I start.

I plan to start around 4PM, EST. ;)