"Stuck in the Middle with Ewe" -- Don't Starve Together Closed Beta Update 2

So it looks like global sanity drain for all alive players when there are one or more people dead has been implemented, and it gets worse the more dead people there are who don't log out.

As it stands currently this is an absolutely game breaking mechanic which I hope for the love of God isn't enabled on PvP servers.  It's just way too much to manage if there are several dead people.  I end up dying for other people's mistakes when I had absolutely nothing to do with it and aren't anywhere near them at all.  That's not cool, especially on something like a dedicated server where dead people may be logging in from time to time and maybe hanging around just to chat.

Right now this just encourages password-protected server hosting and/or banning people who die.

I totally agree with this. While I like the mechanic in a way, it should be a server option and not default on public dedicated servers. Too many noobs dying all over the place (especially with the lag, people even die to frogs ffs) and some asshats dying in the middle of nowhere and then just stay and haunt the server for half an hour.

The insanity thing hits even harder when you play as Wickerbottom (seriously, she could use some help  dealing with the insanity, like a book or something).

The sanity drain is only in Survival Mode. This is intentionally a more difficult cooperative-oriented mode, as opposed to the more free-for-all Endless Mode (which is what everyone was playing before the update, essentially, although without the free portal revives). Survival Mode and PvP don't make sense together, you're right.

Well that's just grand.  Everything worked out as planned by Klei and everyone lived happily ever after.  Sometimes I wish the change logs were a bit more informative so buffoons like me wouldn't fill up the forum with non-issues though.  Sorry.  :|

Because if you say the game is getting worse and worse, I don't think you want those keys so much.

Those keys won't be for me but for my friends. I'm already in the beta. And besides the nerf can be removed with mods. I'm just not able to take the paradox of my DST data not being taken into Steam as cloud save :~

Like it ever was in DST -__- if you reduced the amount of damage each player does again, reduced armour protection or given more health to enemies, I'm rage quitting this thing > :(

That's... not what makes the Ewecus difficult. It's more like it glues you to the ground with a booger and kicks you in the face. A friend can free you, but if you're by yourself, you're probably not going to have a good time.

Hmm, that's actually kinda funny. Neat update!  I love how I didn't have to wait to use both my favorite characters. XP Now if only I can drive my sister off her laptop. T~T I wanna play again. The 15th can't come soon enough. I need my own copy of the game dang it!

All right so here's what I gathered summed into one post:

-Ewecus has a chance to spawn like the vwarg on koalefant hunts (I have not seen this myself or heard accounts of it but I'm thinking it is, but maybe only for winter, idk)

-There is no damage, armour, or any nerf of any kind(with that said 2 people should always hunt together for safety reasons)

-On Survival ONLY, players lose sanity upon another players death

-Relative, if all players are dead, the server will reset in time(you can probably change time in the code)

-Endless mode is the normal base game we've all been playing and is relatively unchanged

-Tell-Tale Heart has been changed to [3 grass + 1 spider gland]

-Upon fighting a Ewecus, players have a second whether in deciding to aggro it or not and upon engaging it, the player will be shot with a phlegm projectile, sticking them in place for a few seconds unless freed by a friend(blowdarts recommended)

-Vwargs are confirmed in

-Modders paradise engaged and the Steam Workshop is up and running

Add on if you have more concrete information and remember, Don't Starve! ;)

Oh, so they did include the Varg this time around! I was caught off-guard when I was hunting and suddenly ran into it ><

On another note, I've noticed there are a few differences besides the Telltale heart recipe:

- For one, the spawn location is marked by a light source that doesn't fade away with time.

- Secondly, when players log off from the server, it plays a noise and then they disappear through a portal - BUT they also drop the Eye bone if they're carrying it. This eventually led to us having 3 eye bones and only one Chester.

- Lastly, I wanted to test out the sanity mechanics and as it turns out, when Wolfgang was at 0 sanity, the shadow creatures did in fact appear, as they're supposed to. Unfortunately, my friend who was not insane could not see or defend against their attacks. 

I should also mention that we did NOT restart the save file since the previous update. Not sure if that plays a role or not, but I thought the least I could do was report.

@PirateCaptainDark, How did you end up with 3 eyebones exactly? Did they still have the eyebone in their inventory when they rejoined (in addition to the one that they dropped), or had you guys been spawning in eyebones to replace ones that got nabbed?

Although your friend can't see the shadow beasts, they can still mouse over them and attack them with ctrl+F. You can when you're not at completely full sanity, anyway.

Archived