Attention servers flagged PvP

Hello all!

Just a little FYI for all of you that flag your servers PvP that are open to the public. If you flag yourself PvP dont get mad and/or ban the players who come into your servers and kill everyone. I understand griefing is annoying and dying is as well but when your server has the PvP icon on it that is like an open invitation to come in and kill everyone and everything. If you dont want to be killed by another player DONT flag yourself PvP. Also! if you are flagged PvP and attack incoming players, dont ban them when they slaughter you and your ambushing friends.

So in conclusion what I'm saying is if you're flagged PvP dont ban the one who kills you. That is lame and a bit childish.

Hilarious. To be slightly fair, the host may not have realized they made a PvP server. I think when you create a new server, it copies the name/description/pvp settings/etc of the previous server.

Also, yes @J192, but the host should make it very clear PvP != free-for-all PvP.

This is why I wish hosts to have barely any control over their servers! A better system would be that a server ends if everyone that is in the srrver leaves. A way to get rid of someone would be for everyone to have the option to kick aomeone and if most people vote to kivk/ban that person, then it happens. If host and someone else plays only then the host can kick or ban the person out of the server by themselves. The host themselves couldn't be voted out thought, as it is their server. This is kind of the dedicated servers I'm talking about here.

One problem with this would be that host could not kick/ban everyone or restart the server... Any ideas to this?

Not sure I'm understanding you here. By leave do you mean logging out?

Disconnect from the server, I mean. Right now dedicated servers are still going while none is there. What would be better is if there are say 4 people in the game and 3 leave (one of which is the host) then the server will only end when the last person within the server exits.

Basically the host would only be able to disconnect the server if he or she is the only one there. If someone joins and doesn't leave then the server ending depends on the player still in it. Unless someone else joins again. It might be a bit troublesome for the host, thought.

Hello all! Just a little FYI for all of you that flag your servers PvP that are open to the public. If you flag yourself PvP dont get mad and/or ban the players who come into your servers and kill everyone. I understand griefing is annoying and dying is as well but when your server has the PvP icon on it that is like an open invitation to come in and kill everyone and everything. If you dont want to be killed by another player DONT flag yourself PvP. Also! if you are flagged PvP and attack incoming players, dont ban them when they slaughter you and your ambushing friends. So in conclusion what I'm saying is if you're flagged PvP dont ban the one who kills you. That is lame and a bit childish.

Wow, really? What a waste of everyone's time.

@Fryjefe not really on account that apparently this needs to be spelled out to people.  Ive been banned from many a PvP server cause I kill everyone whether I attacked first or they did.  One would assume this would go with out saying but that is not the case.  A friend suggested i ask upon arrival if its okay if i kill everyone but then this kinda gives away my whole plan upon arrival so that is even more lame.

@Fryjefe not really on account that apparently this needs to be spelled out to people.  Ive been banned from many a PvP server cause I kill everyone whether I attacked first or they did.  One would assume this would go with out saying but that is not the case.  A friend suggested i ask upon arrival if its okay if i kill everyone but then this kinda gives away my whole plan upon arrival so that is even more lame.

Sorry that came across as against you. I meant that on the part of those scrubs who did that to you. I mean, THEY are wasting everyone's time. Those 12 year olds need to go outside and play in the sun. It'll cure what ails them.

Uhm, every pvp server i Join i'm never able to kill anyone o.o do i need a certain weapon?

I imagine PvP is a more subtle art in DST. Since everyone runs the same speed, hits about the same, you want to make the environment into something hazardous that the opponent either doesn't expect, or can't maneuver. There is also the element of attrition (having friends to back you up). The latter can be accomplished by befriending some pigs, for example.

I think PvP is very underdeveloped in DST(and in people's minds, as a concept) right now. If I could host a server without having to worry about my computer going supernova, I would always leave it with PvP on. Not because I would strive to kill everybody. I would probably hide my base on some corner of the world or something, and would probably put some kind of notice on the server description about this not being complete war or anything. But I would greet everybody, and some trustyworthy people would even be invited into my base.

The PvP tag doesn't mean you should kill everybody. It means that you can kill people and that people can kill you. It makes it seem more like a "survival in group" kind of game, as you can't 100% guarantee people won't stab you in the back, but you still try to cooperate. That said, punishing people who come in and start killing everybody with bans and kicks(unless they're ewecus kicks...) doesn't seem very appropriate, but it's all those people have, since by killing the griefer, they only get penalized right now.

Besides, what's the point of getting in a server and killing everybody? The combat in DS, and specially in DST, is not that fun, anyway and all you get from it is ruining people's fun for nothing. That's just very annoying of you.

I think PvP is very underdeveloped in DST(and in people's minds, as a concept) right now. If I could host a server without having to worry about my computer going supernova, I would always leave it with PvP on. Not because I would strive to kill everybody. I would probably hide my base on some corner of the world or something, and would probably put some kind of notice on the server description about this not being complete war or anything. But I would greet everybody, and some trustyworthy people would even be invited into my base.

The PvP tag doesn't mean you should kill everybody. It means that you can kill people and that people can kill you. It makes it seem more like a "survival in group" kind of game, as you can't 100% guarantee people won't stab you in the back, but you still try to cooperate. That said, punishing people who come in and start killing everybody with bans and kicks(unless they're ewecus kicks...) doesn't seem very appropriate, but it's all those people have, since by killing the griefer, they only get penalized right now.

Besides, what's the point of getting in a server and killing everybody? The combat in DS, and specially in DST, is not that fun, anyway and all you get from it is ruining people's fun for nothing. That's just very annoying of you.

My mind is not willing to put up a PVP, nor does it want to think of ways to improve PVP.

That being said, you seem like someone who would like a friendly fire mod. I wouldn't mind sending a Willow teammate to lead in a spider fight, after hitting her with a fire wand shot. 

PVP really exists for a minority. I wish PVP servers could get a bit creative and spawn people in different areas in a pre built map. Have some resources only spawn in certain areas, and then (Taking inspiration from recezib's cool maze), block off all the areas from each other. Make it so the blockade is removed for a day or so, allowing the players to migrate to new resources or encounter each other. Maybe even make the best part of the map also the easiest to find, so players can camp there and risk the attention.

"Ridley, your post is heavily hunger games inspired. You must like hunger games, did you see- " 

I like hunger games but besides the game mechanics part of the hunger games, I do not have more interest in the thing than the next guy. 

"Ridley, you just said you wouldn't talk about PVP."

I realized half way through the post what I was doing.  :indecisiveness:

well, I just had some very good experiences on PvP servers, so I'm feeling stoked to try and defend passive PvP.

The first interesting thing that happened was on a PvP server(can't even remember the name) that I joined shortly before winter(about day 16 or something like that). First I found a very friendly player who lent me some of his fire, before I kept going on(his base had nothing of interest, and he seemed very uncomfortable with my presence, always switching back to the spear, and running when I got close). After some time walking, I saw a Wilson dressed in full mid-game armor hunting down a Koalephant. I thought that that guy would be an nice partner to have. But after I helped him with his Koalephant, he just took all the meat and said "from here it's forbidden territory.".
I didn't quite understand what he meant, so I kept walking, to the point where I found a base, and he started attacking me. Since I wasn't well armored enough to take him on, I tried to convince him to let me live(while fleeing for my life), and he agreed that we could coexist, but said that I should never come close to his base, and I was fine with that(a bit frustrated, but I liked living.). I was about to leave, when I noticed it was day 19, and I needed to survive winter. Then I, after considering the amount of damage he took from the Koalephant, equiped a fire dart I had found near an eskeleton, and fired. After that, it was just a few spear hits and he was dead, his base was mine.
He kept coming back(world was set to endless) for some time, which was quite annoying(add "survival and endless modes" to my list of hated things)but after winter hit, he left the game, and I survived that winter thanks to his stuff(there was certainly not enough for the 2 of us, so I was glad I killed him.)
So, long story short, PvP made it so I could survive, and although reading this piece of crap of a narration I'm unable to write might seem boring, I was laughing, at the edge of my seat, and carefully thinking ahead to check my chances, all at the same time, which, IMO, is what happens in the best moments of DS.

the second notable server isn't nearly as long or interesting of an experience to narrate, but it was the one in which I spent the most time. Basicly, I joined the server from the beginning, and right of the bat got a partner. Me and my buddy made a base, recruited another guy(although I didn't quite trust him), and got to a point where we were starting to starve. So, while I was hunting some Koalephants by myself(I play Wendy, so it isn't that hard), I found what looked like a still in use base(there was nobody there, but the fireplace was still lit, so I didn't get too close.). After we started to eat our reserve of rabbits, and all hope seemed lost, I had a brilliant idea to raid that other base, and take all the food we could get. We got there by the night, saw a fire going, and then we spread ourselves, and attacked, killing one of the campers, and heavily injuring the other(he later freezed to death, but I think he ressurected the other player). Then we proceeded to take all the food and supplies we could, and set fire to that which we couldn't(can't have them coming back and exhausting resources on that part of the island). 

So Again, the fact that we had PvP only meant our survival. Of course, the existing game modes made my victories a bit less meaningful, because they just kept coming back to life(thankfully, we weren't on Survival, or else I'd be screwed with the sanity.), But it was very fun having an extra risk-reward system called "people" in the game, and since most of the time I play on PvP-off servers, people just tend to scatter and do their own business, I think that PvP only adds a bit more of spice in this mix.

Also, just so you know, I've also had many times in which everybody played chose to play together, even though PvP was on. So don't come saying that PvP destroys cooperation, because all it does is make unfriendly groups possible, and add a better punishment for stealing than banning.

(holy Odin, that's a lot of writing. I'm sorry for this. If you want a tl;dr version here it is: PvP is good.)

Archived