HolyMan504    10

The main thing that bothers me about DS: NO SWORD! Why don't they have a sword? That is one of the main tools/weapons in any adventure/survival game. Like: Minecraft ,Terraria, ect. That is all I could think of at the moment, but you get the point.

-HolyMan504

Toaster Fu    101

Well… Um… there's a spear? I'd prefer something more unique then a sword, stuff like the spiked club.

Edited by Toaster Fu
I can never remember the name of the spike weapon

Ora    10

So are we going to introduce a forge into the game now? Teach our characters how to be a blacksmith in just a couple days? No, I don't think so. We have a spear, and spears are notoriously effective weapons that are incredibly easy to make out of stone, wood, or metal. Seeing as how everything you have in this game has to be crafted by your character on-site, I don't think there is any room for a sword. A sword is a more sophisticated weapon that requires much more in the way of facilities and skill than a spear. Facilities of the kind you would not have if dropped into the wilderness.

mobius187    29
The main thing that bothers me about DS: NO SWORD!

Really? Are you sure you're not exaggerating? :p

Why don't they have a sword? That is one of the main tools/weapons in any adventure/survival game. Like: Minecraft ,Terraria, ect.

Well Minecraft had the wood sword... not the world's greatest weapon innovation. :)

I think the reason why Don't Starve doesn't have swords is mainly due to the fact that you play as a survivor and in most of the cases I'm aware of survivors usually don't go to the trouble of forging swords. I take it that the simpler the weapon the better. Another factor may have to do with a lack of proper resources... like forges... or hard ores, like iron.

Well… Um… there's a spear? I'd prefer something more unique then a sword, stuff like the spiked club.

True. There's no point in having a dozen different weapons if all you do it smack the enemy with it. I would prefer if the weapons had some unique functions that set them apart from one another. I'm not sure if a spiked club does this trick, however I've always wanted to find another use for hound teeth... and the idea of crafting a club using their teeth and then beating hounds to death with said club smacks of the irony I love so much. :D

mobius187    29
I would like sword.

Fair enough.

Or just more weapons that don't involve killing a bunch of things to make.

But... where's the fun in that...? :(

Trevor    10

Yeah, a sword isn't much of a survival weapon. And you sorta need a metal ore like iron to make it. If they make more weapons they'd need to be unique in some way though. A defensive item like a wooden shield maybe.

Lorca    10

I can understand the OP about the sword. It's misleading that the icon for weapons has a sword, yet, you can't build a sword. Anyways, not having a sword is no biggie for me. You have other weapons, besides, having a sword is becoming very cliche and unoriginal for a game that's original in design. If I had to add a sword, I would have created a curved sable sword with a unique name, than having just the run-of-the-mill straight medieval sword.

genocide    10

I think the key issue here is that we would first need metal ore. Sure, the sword could be wood, but then what would be the benefit of a wood sword over a spear?

That said, metal swords could be used to cut grass, perhaps giving you two pieces of grass instead of one?

Pelagius    10

The problem with swords is you cant really make them out of stone, you need metal and metal needs to be smelted. You would need to create a whole system of things just for a sword(or any other metal tool). I also don't like the gold tools as well and am hoping myself they or/and their crafting method changes at some point. But more than anything swords are just sort of unnecessary at this point, spears are enough right now imo.

A sword wouldn't do the game much good, other than being a + to the spear. At the moment, I'm more concerned about the Quality of items that Klei is putting in, other than the Quantity.