Close the Key Depot to protect your Customers!

Close the Key Depot  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Close the Key Depot since it has more negative effects than positives?

Dear Klei!

I have been watching the Key depot for some weeks now and i came to the conclusion that there is no real trading in this section. Most People who say that they have a key are scammers there.

There is a group of Kids (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43132-scammers-list-report-here/?hl=vozki#entry559699) from Portugal who does that everyday in your forum. They post a new thread with some accounts they made up and scam people via Steam Trades (yes pretty dumb it happened to me too but i luckily got my stuff back), Paypal (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/44430-beware-of-scams/#entry570467) and their new way is using paysafe cards (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/44411-h-1-dst-key-for-the-highest-price) cause they are already reported on steamrep.

Here are some of this fake profiles on your forum:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/user/480761-pinguin/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/user/477195-skied/ (check the posts and you find him posting his steam profile which is already reported for scamming)

Same for vozki: These are basically the last steam names he used

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/user/480224-vozki/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/44019-warning-do-not-trade-with-troshki-key-trading/?hl=troshki

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/user/480386-swaggyfish/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/user/486737-improvisednickname/

if you check the profile post history its always the same...

There are bunch of more people and threads who got ripped off....

I know its none of your business if people are that naive but it happens on Your Forum! I think that brings your company in a really bad spot.

Since there are no real benefits for people who are really searching for keys, i would consider that you close the section to protect your customers. Dont give them a platform to trick people here!

To all of you guys in the forum i would love to hear your opinion on that and pls vote in the poll.

And if you got scammed pls post your experience here....

PS: Sry for my english im not a native but i try ^^

PPS: if you got scammed you can send me a pm i may help you with that

Its not about the selling honestly i would pay for a key! The Problem is there are no keys to sell only some bored people who steal money (up to 30€) from innocent people. The Key Depot is getting more and more a platform to find those people.....

Well as one of the people that got scammed. I think best thing to do is to at least set up a kinda official trade guide/rules. 

As example that the Seller (the person with a key) should hand out the key first and can be verified by the buyer before the transaction takes place.

Why? because Kei hands out the key's for free and hopes to get feedback from it. But the person who received the key just wants something back for it. I don't blame then if i had spare key I would probably do the same... But the keys where given by kei as a gift so the seller maybe gets scammed but actually loses nothing. Or just as seller claim the key and stuff it in yuor steam inventory and trade it via steam-trade so people are sure they get DST and the seller gets a other game/item...

People now lose items,games or money because fake keys are given or transaction takes place before the key trade. 

The idea of paying for something you're going to get for free anyways is stupid. Multiplayer is the same game basically, there is very little difference, and a lot of bugs. The best solution would be for Klei to just let whoever wants to play the beta, just join, I don't see the point of holding on to the idea of giving out keys, it builds "hype" that will go away as soon as the person gets their key. The Key Depot is just a very poor way of getting keys for the player base and creates a negative environment. If Klei really cared, they would have just give it out to all the forum members. That way, the players who actually are in the community get to actually give their ideas and opinions on the game, instead of just visiting the forums, to talk about how they want a key, or trying to scam someone or get scammed in the key depot.

Asking for money for a beta(!) key, for content I will get for free when it's released? In my opinion it's simply wrong, SO wrong. I don't want to offense people who are willing to pay for something like that, everyone should do what he wants, that's none of my business. But I think this key depot doesn't fulfill the purpose it should, or at least in a wrong way. I'm also waiting eagerly for my keys to play with my brothers and friends, but getting one through the key depot? I don't think so. There was one official giveaway from klei at the beginning and then never again (as far as I know). That's kind of sad, but ok, nothing I would really complain about (In a different time zone it's anyway pretty improbable to read the post in time to have the chance of getting a key^^). Then there were some good posts as I hoped to find there: kind people searching or giving keys, without expecting anything in exchange. That's the kind of community I'm dreaming of! :D
But now, whenever I look there (out of boredom, not because I hope to get a key^^) I only find posts about trading games or paying money... Feels not right to me and makes me kind of sad. So I think the key depot got kind of futile and there should be something done about it.

Asking for money for a beta(!) key, for content I will get for free when it's released? In my opinion it's simply wrong, SO wrong. I don't want to offense people who are willing to pay for something like that, everyone should do what he wants, that's none of my business. But I think this key depot doesn't fulfill the purpose it should, or at least in a wrong way. I'm also waiting eagerly for my keys to play with my brothers and friends, but getting one through the key depot? I don't think so. There was one official giveaway from klei at the beginning and then never again (as far as I know). That's kind of sad, but ok, nothing I would really complain about (In a different time zone it's anyway pretty improbable to read the post in time to have the chance of getting a key^^). Then there were some good posts as I hoped to find there: kind people searching or giving keys, without expecting anything in exchange. That's the kind of community I'm dreaming of! :grin:

Yes thats exactly what i think!

But now, whenever I look there (out of boredom, not because I hope to get a key^^) I only find posts about trading games or paying money... Feels not right to me and makes me kind of sad. So I think the key depot got kind of futile and there should be something done about it.

And like 80% of the posts you see where someone actually offers a key are Fake Threads for Scamming!

although I think that all this scamming(and trading in general) should stop, I don't think that closing the Key Depot would work. There's a couple of problems that make me think that this is a bad idea. 1)those people would obviously flow into this forum, which would be quite annoying, and there's only so much the mods can do; 2) there would be no place for honest giveaways(I think I saw some when I was there); 3) people who have been scammed, it's sad I know, but they knew the risks. The Klei bot makes sure that everybody knows the risks when they're trading with someone, so they can't really say it's not their fault.

(also, it keeps the "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO RELEASE!?!?!?/1/1/" people in a nice tight place where they can't annoy me, so that's good.)

P.S.:this is just my opinion. I'm just justifying my vote. Doesn't mean I am completely agaisnt the closing of the depot. Just that I prefer it being there.

I think the reason the subforum was created was that people were asking for keys in the general discussion subforum.  Which, if you removed the trading forum that would happen again.

Wali12 - I think JoeW or one of the mods/devs posted guidelines that people should follow and essentially step #1 is get the key, step #2 try the key, step #3 pay the person.  If the seller doesn't get paid, he's out a free beta key, which is better than the buyer being out his money by trading money first.

One of the problems is that people just post there and don't look at any of the other posts/threads and realize people are scammers.  It's pretty easy to see Vozki was involved in a lot if they took the type to search, or took the 2 seconds to hover over his steam name in his profile to see his past names and see if it was Vozki.

It's also a smart idea to check someone's post history.  One guy got scammed by someone who only had a couple posts, and in 1 post he was looking to buy a key, but 2 minutes later he posted he had keys to sell.  Now, maybe he was in the business of trying to buy keys for a low price and sell them at a high price, but with no post history and the timing of his buy/sell posts.... seems very suspicious and not someone worth risking a trade.

I don't advocate trading, but I also think if people want to trade them they'll figure out a way to do so, the problem is people generally don't think intelligently.  Whether that's cause it's lack of intelligence, nativity, or youth who knows. But you can't just think gee some guy with 3 posts on the forum is going to trade me! Must be legitimate.  If you want to trade with someone, take the steps to protect yourself and research the person as best you can.  These days you don't meet a random stranger from craig'slist in a back alley, you meet them in a busy public area or in front of a police station for protection.  You should take steps to safe guard yourself in online trading as well.  The risk of physical injury isn't there, but the risk of being scammed for your money is pretty high.

This whole "steam,rep/trading" stuff goes a bit over my head, but I'd like to point out somethings.

Dear Klei!

I have been watching the Key depot for some weeks now and i came to the conclusion that there is no real trading in this section.

It was not made or intended for trading...

Here are some of this fake profiles on your forum:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/user/480761-pinguin/
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/user/477195-skied/ (check the posts and you find him posting his steam profile which is already reported for scamming)

It would be nice if people actually started to post proof, themselves...

Personally, I don't consider anyone who just shouts, "Scammer!" And that's it. I'd like to see some evidence of what happened and use my own judgement and common sense. - But again I don't participate in trading. -Bit of a ramble, anyway. It'd be nice if I didn't have to hunt for it. But I assume you mean http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43040-i-have-2-keys-for-dst-beta/?p=558964  ?

They do have the same name, if I was a moderator of the forums I could more accurately pinpoint if they are the same person or not. However, I don't think Klei really wants to ban a bunch of people. They are interested in feedback and such. I'm not sure if they want to go about with the ban hammer. *shrug*

In general, I wish people would use some common sense. But that's just my opinion.

I know its none of your business if people are that naive but it happens on Your Forum! I think that brings your company in a really bad spot.

Personally, I think no less of them. As a matter of fact seeing how much they care, with posting advice and even bringing out the Klei-bot is great to see. I think the opposite. They do care. And seeing that cute robot gave me happy giggle-fits. I loved it. - Moving on.

Since there are no real benefits for people who are really searching for keys, i would consider that you close the section to protect your customers. Dont give them a platform to trick people here!

And where do you suggest they start posting? I thought the entire start of it was to clean up the forums, because there was too many topics regarding, "I want a key!" It didn't start as trading. It started as "begging" or as I'd like to call it "asking".

I don't think Klei wants to start locking and deleting a bunch of topics (and banning anyone). They did, however, give good advice and common sense to go by, seems like quite a few didn't seem to take it into consideration. But Klei can not sit here and spoon feed everybody. You have to use some judgement. There are a lot of information on these forums, I wish people would use them.

To all of you guys in the forum i would love to hear your opinion on that and pls vote in the poll.

You have not really posted an alternate suggestion to a problem this would create. Which would be... where would the posts go ? Or do u suggest Klei start moderating the heck out of these forums and close/delete them all?

I'm on the "no" to remove the forum.

I'm on the "Yes" to stop trading, and start to be more informed if you intend too. It's free guys... The keys are free.. FREE... *shakes head*

Well as one of the people that got scammed. I think best thing to do is to at least set up a kinda official trade guide/rules.

Klei doesn't want to get involved officially. They've stated it all over. They did try to help give advice. Like so http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43153-please-be-careful-of-scammers/

This whole "steam,rep/trading" stuff goes a bit over my head, but I'd like to point out somethings. Ibanez, on 19 Nov 2014 - 11:46 AM, said: Dear Klei! I have been watching the Key depot for some weeks now and i came to the conclusion that there is no real trading in this section. It was not made or intended for trading...   Ibanez, on 19 Nov 2014 - 11:46 AM, said: Here are some of this fake profiles on your forum: http://forums.kleien...480761-pinguin/ http://forums.kleien...r/477195-skied/ (check the posts and you find him posting his steam profile which is already reported for scamming) It would be nice if people actually started to post proof, themselves... Personally, I don't consider anyone who just shouts, "Scammer!" And that's it. I'd like to see some evidence of what happened and use my own judgement and common sense. - But again I don't participate in trading. -Bit of a ramble, anyway. It'd be nice if I didn't have to hunt for it. But I assume you mean http://forums.kleien...-beta/?p=558964  ?   They do have the same name, if I was a moderator of the forums I could more accurately pinpoint if they are the same person or not. However, I don't think Klei really wants to ban a bunch of people. They are interested in feedback and such. I'm not sure if they want to go about with the ban hammer. *shrug* In general, I wish people would use some common sense. But that's just my opinion.     Ibanez, on 19 Nov 2014 - 11:46 AM, said: I know its none of your business if people are that naive but it happens on Your Forum! I think that brings your company in a really bad spot.       Personally, I think no less of them. As a matter of fact seeing how much they care, with posting advice and even bringing out the Klei-bot is great to see. I think the opposite. They do care. And seeing that cute robot gave me happy giggle-fits. I loved it. - Moving on.   Ibanez, on 19 Nov 2014 - 11:46 AM, said: Since there are no real benefits for people who are really searching for keys, i would consider that you close the section to protect your customers. Dont give them a platform to trick people here!     And where do you suggest they start posting? I thought the entire start of it was to clean up the forums, because there was too many topics regarding, "I want a key!" It didn't start as trading. It started as "begging" or as I'd like to call it "asking".   I don't think Klei wants to start locking and deleting a bunch of topics (and banning anyone). They did, however, give good advice and common sense to go by, seems like quite a few didn't seem to take it into consideration. But Klei can not sit here and spoon feed everybody. You have to use some judgement. There are a lot of information on these forums, I wish people would use them.   Ibanez, on 19 Nov 2014 - 11:46 AM, said: To all of you guys in the forum i would love to hear your opinion on that and pls vote in the poll.   You have not really posted an alternate suggestion to a problem this would create. Which would be... where would the posts go ? Or do u suggest Klei start moderating the heck out of these forums and close/delete them all?   I'm on the "no" to remove the forum. I'm on the "Yes" to stop trading, and start to be more informed if you intend too. It's free guys... The keys are free.. FREE... *shakes head*     Wali12, on 19 Nov 2014 - 5:17 PM, said: Well as one of the people that got scammed. I think best thing to do is to at least set up a kinda official trade guide/rules.   Klei doesn't want to get involved officially. They've stated it all over. They did try to help give advice. Like so http://forums.kleien...ul-of-scammers/  

tumblr_mi1mc5jkQd1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Woah.. that quote started looking weird.

This whole "steam,rep/trading" stuff goes a bit over my head, but I'd like to point out somethings.

It was not made or intended for trading...

Call it gifting/trading/scamming thats not the point of the discussion here...

It would be nice if people actually started to post proof, themselves...

Personally, I don't consider anyone who just shouts, "Scammer!" And that's it. I'd like to see some evidence of what happened and use my own judgement and common sense. - But again I don't participate in trading. -Bit of a ramble, anyway. It'd be nice if I didn't have to hunt for it. But I assume you mean http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43040-i-have-2-keys-for-dst-beta/?p=558964  ?

You know that its not like that! i have talked to over 10 people in the forum already who got scammed by the same 2 Steam profiles here and most of them paid money or lost items for it....

Why would 2 Different Users with the same name post the same steam profile as their own??

Do you think all this people make up those stories? Proofs were posted in other threads already but Klei shut it down cause of name and shame....

I try to gather as much information what happens in this forum and talk to the people who got scammed....

They do have the same name, if I was a moderator of the forums I could more accurately pinpoint if they are the same person or not. However, I don't think Klei really wants to ban a bunch of people. They are interested in feedback and such. I'm not sure if they want to go about with the ban hammer. *shrug*

In general, I wish people would use some common sense. But that's just my opinion.

Personally, I think no less of them. As a matter of fact seeing how much they care, with posting advice and even bringing out the Klei-bot is great to see. I think the opposite. They do care. And seeing that cute robot gave me happy giggle-fits. I loved it. - Moving on.

Yeah thats a good point but a lot of people come here and think this forum is trustworthy like me before the automated Bot message. They dont read all those Scam Warnings. They just make threads were they ask for keys with their steam profile posted. Then they get picked up and scammed.

Klei doesn't want to get involved officially. They've stated it all over. They did try to help give advice. Like so http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43153-please-be-careful-of-scammers/

Well you are right with that, but they also told us when it comes to a point where it doesnt work anymore, they will change the situation and close down the forum. I think we are at this point right now, thats why a make this poll

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But I think shutting it down will make new problems.

I know scamming is a problem and no one likes it. I think we all agree on that, really.

But I don't see how shutting down a forum, will fix the problem. It will just flood back into general chat or heck. Invisible Inc. chat even. Because its on the top of the forum "list". That's my thinking. I think any feedback on how we this can be stopped without making new problems would be great to hear. I personally have no idea. All I know is I would also like to stop the scamming going around. But I don't have a perfect solution to do that.

And then there are all the people wanting a key that don't want to trade, what happens to those? Do they also get locked/deleted? I don't know.

I would like to stop the bad apples ruining the bunch, but I don't know how to go about it. I've not come across such a problem before. Clarifying: Relating to stopping trade/scams.

*shrug* :/

EDIT :

Why would 2 Different Users with the same name post the same steam profile as their own??

I did not see Penguin posted the same steam, maybe I missed that ?

Do you think all this people make up those stories?

I saw a few people posting "proof" while others just post, SCAMMER! And they have no story. I don't think people are all liars. But when they have no "story" at all, it makes me wonder. Maybe they were just disgruntled? I'd like to know what happened, rather than a one word statement. Is all. I've noticed more of that than people actually posting "proof". In my opinion

Well you are right with that, but they also told us when it comes to a point where it doesnt work anymore, they will change the situation and close down the forum. I think we are at this point right now, thats why a make this poll

I'm not necessarily against a change. But I just feel like it will cause more problems. *shrug*

Can I ask why anyone would buy or barter for beta keys in the first place? This should not be a gray or black market when it comes to these things. Either you get them gifted to you because of a kind soul, a friend, or you go through the official system and wait your turn. It's called a closed beta for a reason. Your money should not be a factor, unless Klei made it so. If you are either trying to buy or sell these keys, then it should be made against the end-user license agreement (EULA).

As for the OP you took an unsupported and unofficial risk and now you want vengeance. That's fine, but do it with the third parties you used to make this transaction. Go through the official route when reporting scams, and do not make it a public spectacle for something you did wrong in the first place. Luckily Klei is not as harsh as some other companies, because they would ban both the buyer and the seller. Which is the equivalent to gold sellers/buyers in MMO's. You know it's wrong, but you do it anyways. Expect no sympathy.

Klei already warns everyone that trading keys isn't recommended (thanks @Klei_Bot!), but I agree.  The key depot is, for the most part, just a bunch of people scamming people out of both their keys, their games, and their money.  Hate to make such a blatant generalization, but every day people say "I got scammed by so-and-so" and the like.  I myself am one of these people.

As for the OP you took an unsupported and unofficial risk and now you want vengeance. That's fine, but do it with the third parties you used to make this transaction. Go through the official route when reporting scams, and do not make it a public spectacle for something you did wrong in the first place. Luckily Klei is not as harsh as some other companies, because they would ban both the buyer and the seller. Which is the equivalent to gold sellers/buyers in MMO's. You know it's wrong, but you do it anyways. Expect no sympathy.

I don't think "wanting vengeance" is a very good way to put it.  They're just trying to keep others from falling into the same trap they did.  And I get that key trading isn't encouraged, but the fact that there's an entire subforum dedicated to it makes it seem like it's a perfectly safe route to travel.  Which even Klei admits it isn't. 

I just checked and saw there are a lot of votes for YES to close the that subforum.  But what is anyone's purposed solution? Imagine if all those posters asking for a key started posting in the General Discussion thread. Do you really want to clutter the General Discussion with all these posts asking for a key? It's easier to ignore (if one so chooses) the posts about key requests if it's in it's own forum.  The bot says Klei isn't going to help you and people post and suggest not to do it. The only thing more Klei could do is say in the automated message from the bot, be careful because of the limited number of keys you're more likely to get scammed than actually get a valid key.

Also with it's own forum, anyone who puts a little effort into it can see some of the known scammers.  If you have all these posts in the General Discussion forum, it will make it even harder to find those kind of posts.

If a person wants to risk it and try to make a trade even though most of us seem to understand you're pretty likely to get scammed, that's on them.  Klei has made it pretty clear, you're on your own and suggests you just wait for your key as they are continually giving them out.

It is amazing to me that people merely trade with someone they don't even know thinking it will all go through perfectly.  Maybe it's cause of my cynical nature and my career, but I know that's often not the case. 

You're working outside of a controlled environment. You know we aren't trading a steam gift for another item on steam.  This is outside the realms of the controlled environment of steam, and you're on your own to protect yourself.  It's also been said on the forums it's a bad idea, and keys are in limited supply. We'll say 300-400 people get a key each day, and 1 to give to their friend so they have someone to play with.  That means the vast majority of those keys will be used up with only a rare spare key here or there.  Sheer numbers suggest a trade for a valid key is a dangerous thing to do, and much of the community here is pretty helpful and some are willing to just donate a key to someone rather than sell it.

Perhaps I'm over-estimating people and any common sense.  Again, my career and my human nature as always lead me to investigate something as best as I can before taking action.  It's like I wouldn't buy an iphone in China from a street merchant, and expect to be getting an official iphone.  Same concept here, you aren't getting a key directly from Klei, so you take your chances if you trade.

The OP mentioned he talked to 10 people and found out they were all scammed by the same person.  Was there anything that prevented you from seeing that person was a scammer or talking with others to find out about that guy's rep before you attempted to buy the key?

Obviously research a person before you trade, get the key and test it first, then exchange your goods.  Pretty basic. Don't give your items first.

---

On the flip side of the coin, you could have a working key, trade it to someone, and get paid say through paypal.  Then later the buyer reports it as a bad sale (even though it wasn't) and requests paypal give him the money back.  In that case the seller may be out of luck.  In which case. Again... if you engage in trade outside the realms of a controlled environment, you take your chances. 

Bottom line:

It's pretty common sense, trading/selling is not endorsed, enforced, or supported by Klei.  Any outside transactions you do are at your own risk and detriment (or gain).  Frankly, I'd rather Klei be able to work on their game, rather than have to exert effort on tracking people who are scammers.

I just checked and saw there are a lot of votes for YES to close the that subforum.  But what is anyone's purposed solution? Imagine if all those posters asking for a key started posting in the General Discussion thread. Do you really want to clutter the General Discussion with all these posts asking for a key? It's easier to ignore (if one so chooses) the posts about key requests if it's in it's own forum.  The bot says Klei isn't going to help you and people post and suggest not to do it. The only thing more Klei could do is say in the automated message from the bot, be careful because of the limited number of keys you're more likely to get scammed than actually get a valid key.

I think that people making posts in the wrong place is a lot less dire than someone losing 40/50 dollars for a key being given away for free on a daily basis.  Posts can be moved or locked; once your money is gone, it's gone.

Well, since he is busy, I'll do this one :p

Please be aware that all trades are made at your own risk.

• Klei Entertainment is not involved in the transaction or enforcement of player agreements for any trades.
  • Klei Entertainment will not mediate, arbitrate, investigate or otherwise be involved in any agreement between players who choose to trade on our forums.
  • Klei Entertainment will not allow the trade of any key or account that has already been used and we will delete any thread and potentially lock any account associated with account trading.

We highly suggest that you do not make any trade that you are not confident in making.

We do not encourage people to trade keys, we are handing out keys on a regular basis and you will have your chance to participate. But if you cannot wait and choose to trade with somebody for a key, we will not be able to verify or help with any disputes that arise. 

The Key Depot is there for the all the impatient people who literally cannot wait. 

And I get that key trading isn't encouraged, but the fact that there's an entire subforum dedicated to it makes it seem like it's a perfectly safe route to travel.  Which even Klei admits it isn't.

If Klei admits and warns trading is dangerous.  How is it seem like it's safe just because there's a forum, particularly where the first post on any thread posted there is Klei's bot with a warning?

I think that people making posts in the wrong place is a lot less dire than someone losing 40/50 dollars for a key being given away for free on a daily basis. Posts can be moved or locked; once your money is gone, it's gone.

So closing a subforum will somehow prevent people from losing money? It'll just make those posts clutter the general discussion forum and make it even harder to find the posts where people are saying such and such is a scammer. Which if they looked for those things they'd have protected themselves.  In addition, the bot wouldn't be able to spam it's warning message post.

It's amazing to me that people would pay a stranger 40-50 dollars for a beta to an incomplete game, especially when the original game is only what 15-20 dollars?

I'm sorry, but if you trade and don't take steps to protect yourself. (basic rule #1 get the key first and verify it actually works). You put yourself in that position and it's your fault. It's not Klei's. It's not their responsibility to protect you, or to make things right and give you a key if you got scammed, or verify people have keys to trade.  Let's accept some personal responsibility here too and not just pass the buck and blame a forum. You make the choice, you assume the risk, you live with the consequence.

“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Archived