Ask the Me(na)!

MenaAthena

Alright. Here goes.

It seems I missed most of the "Golden Age", which I can infer happened during beta. I came around just afterwards, but things were pretty cool. the off-topic section (which is the source of quite a few of our problems) had like, 10 threads or something. From what I know, early on, not many people were around, what you'd expect. Now, let me tie this in with the building of civilizations within mankind. For some reason. Back in the old, old days, (irl, of course) groups were often fairly small, around 100 in size. It was like one great big family. People knew all the other people. There was no need for a strict ruler or government, because everyone was friends and liked each other and stuff. Fast forward a while, things start to grow. You tack an extra zero on there. Now, there's no way you're learning the name of all 1000 people in your village.

Almost the same as what I feel happened to these forums. It grew in popularity, which loosened the ties between people. Now, I'm not implying that more people is bad, it's just make it so that no one can be totally familiar with everybody. And then, when you have lots of people, it's inevitable that you get a couple bad apples. Not naming names, but I'd hope some of you can recall. Threads got locked, negative rep (pretty sure it was still a thing then) got dished out. Something like a person who just managed to get on everyone's nerves rarely happened afterwards, but it was foreshadowing. The stream of people coming in since release was hardly slowing down. And that creates a different feeling. When you're in a place with a few people, it feels different than being in a place with lots. Some grew unruly, and the admins/mods moved their hand. This is all still pre-ROG, for a time perspective. The combination of sort of getting bored of the same ol' same ol' and the lack of previous closeness of everybody got to some oldies, so they left. Returned to see some DS puzzles and stuff, but not much else. The forums were on the decline since then, in my opinion. And when ROG came out, lots of senior members came back. And I'm certain most of them weren't happy with what they saw. So, in came the statuses, signatures, and threads of "Where did it all go" and whatnot. The obvious answer was to point a finger at the newbies, but it's not their fault, entirely. The decline was just an effect of this place growing. Nothing else.

TLDR: The forums was growing and rules had to be made and then people got bored and then things changed and now it's not as good as it was.

Why are you upside-down?

Because it gives me a different perspective on things and I like feeling the blood rush to my head.

Serious answer: After me becoming Weirdobob's daughter... happened, I figured I shouldn't be right side up anymore, but I didn't want to copy Weirdo. Thus I became upside down. Yeah... my brain doesn't do logic.  

Do you even polkka?

I have no clue what that is, so I guess not.

Alright. Here goes.

It seems I missed most of the "Golden Age", which I can infer happened during beta. I came around just afterwards, but things were pretty cool. the off-topic section (which is the source of quite a few of our problems) had like, 10 threads or something. From what I know, early on, not many people were around, what you'd expect. Now, let me tie this in with the building of civilizations within mankind. For some reason. Back in the old, old days, (irl, of course) groups were often fairly small, around 100 in size. It was like one great big family. People knew all the other people. There was no need for a strict ruler or government, because everyone was friends and liked each other and stuff. Fast forward a while, things start to grow. You tack an extra zero on there. Now, there's no way you're learning the name of all 1000 people in your village.

Almost the same as what I feel happened to these forums. It grew in popularity, which loosened the ties between people. Now, I'm not implying that more people is bad, it's just make it so that no one can be totally familiar with everybody. And then, when you have lots of people, it's inevitable that you get a couple bad apples. Not naming names, but I'd hope some of you can recall. Threads got locked, negative rep (pretty sure it was still a thing then) got dished out. Something like a person who just managed to get on everyone's nerves rarely happened afterwards, but it was foreshadowing. The stream of people coming in since release was hardly slowing down. And that creates a different feeling. When you're in a place with a few people, it feels different than being in a place with lots. Some grew unruly, and the admins/mods moved their hand. This is all still pre-ROG, for a time perspective. The combination of sort of getting bored of the same ol' same ol' and the lack of previous closeness of everybody got to some oldies, so they left. Returned to see some DS puzzles and stuff, but not much else. The forums were on the decline since then, in my opinion. And when ROG came out, lots of senior members came back. And I'm certain most of them weren't happy with what they saw. So, in came the statuses, signatures, and threads of "Where did it all go" and whatnot. The obvious answer was to point a finger at the newbies, but it's not their fault, entirely. The decline was just an effect of this place growing. Nothing else.

TLDR: The forums was growing and rules had to be made and then people got bored and then things changed and now it's not as good as it was.

Nothing grew in popularity or anything, I still remember as many threads and posts as back then.

No, the problem is that we oldfags don't like the threads AND the moderation nowadays.

I don't know what that is :/

Could you explain?

Tarocchi, which comes from the Arabic word for "wayfarers", is a type of card game that substitutes the standard suit deck with a tarot deck. Before playing, one takes the deck and will shuffle the cards and pull a trump card to start. The one with the deck then offers the cards to the player on his/her left to cut the deck (if the person refuses, it goes to the person on the new person's left). If no one cuts, the card are distributed normally like a suit deck. If a card is uncovered, the person dealing asks whether they should reshuffle and will do so if the group decides to-. 

It's complicated.

Tarocchi, which comes from the Arabic word for "wayfarers", is a type of card game that substitutes the standard suit deck with a tarot deck. Before playing, one takes the deck and will shuffle the cards and pull a trump card to start. The one with the deck then offers the cards to the player on his/her left to cut the deck (if the person refuses, it goes to the person on the new person's left). If no one cuts, the card are distributed normally like a suit deck. If a card is uncovered, the person dealing asks whether they should reshuffle and will do so if the group decides to-.

It's complicated.

*head spins*

Uh... no thanks...

We could play Rumney though.

RVDvFQ6.jpg

Mmm, I say, what would be an appropriate thought to question according to this location and time...?

I thought of several things.

'*hic* Hey Me-*hic* Mena! I am, like, sooooo drunk righ-*hic* right now.'

'Lovely establishment, isn't this?'

"We're at Walmart..."

'Fine weather we're having this evening.'

"It's -32 degrees outside... Celsius!"

I thought of several things.
'*hic* Hey Me-*hic* Mena! I am, like, sooooo drunk righ-*hic* right now.'

Er... Mamdame, you do recall of a certain Albinistic Dracos Wyvernus I am so dearly attached to, right?... just letting you know of this information, in case any events are to unfold...

'Lovely establishment, isn't this?'
"We're at Walmart..."

I do say, the air conditioning in such a place is mighty fine compared to the godawful aesthetic theme they've chosen, yes?... and by the JoeW's name, these peasantry prices do bring out the gleeful stinginess of the personality I have put upon msyself! 

'Fine weather we're having this evening.'
"It's -32 degrees outside... Celsius!"

Living in Canada for many a years, I see not a problem with the thermal abnormalities here and there!

-

Love your responses, by the way XD

Er... Mamdame, you do recall of a certain Albinistic Dracos Wyvernus I am so dearly attached to, right?... just letting you know of this information, in case any events are to unfold...

I do say, the air conditioning in such a place is mighty fine compared to the godawful aesthetic theme they've chosen, yes?... and by the JoeW's name, these peasantry prices do bring out the gleeful stinginess of the personality I have put upon msyself!

Living in Canada for many a years, I see not a problem with the thermal abnormalities here and there!

-

Love your responses, by the way XD

Why thank you, good sir. I must say, that is a smashing good monocle.

actually, if you would say -32 fahrenheit it would be even colder, i just checked on google

Oh...

CELSIUS IS CONFUSING I LIVE IN 'MURICA DANG IT!

Archived