What impact did the beta sign up questions actually have?

It seems that just random people are getting keys, without any sort of knowledge about both beta testing, or the game itself.

I COMPLETELY understand how the questions could help with the first month or so of beta handouts, because people WAY more deserving of getting into the beta should be there before me, but why are people that don't even own the game getting beta keys?

I told one of my friends to sign up, because he was considering getting Don't Starve anyways, and he got a key very quickly.

I later learned that he filled out the form with the worst answers possible. No beta experience, not a member of the forums, 0 hours on Don't Starve, and every other answer was just terrible. And yet, he still got the key.

So how does someone like me, with 560 hours logged, has been a part of the forums for about 2 years now, has beta tested multiple games (INCLUDING REIGN OF GIANTS, AND HAS FIXED MULTIPLE BUGS FOR IT), and actually has some decent qualifications not have a key by now?

I really don't want to make a topic like this, because I KNOW I would have to wait awhile for a key, but after months, I kind of get a little pissed off when I see people who couldn't give two **** about the game get keys, and people who actually care aren't getting ****.

And even worse, the people who actually CARE are forced to buy keys off of people who don't care about the game. What kind of messed up stuff is that?

So, again, what was the point of the sign up questions?

The most logical answer is they wanted new people because that way by the time the beta get's to the experienced people the new people will be just es experienced.

And streamers got keys early too, cause advertisement.

The point of a beta is to fix all bugs before making a public release, the beta shouldn't be the first thing a new player plays.

If I started playing don't starve, and everything was buggy, and it kept on crashing, I'm pretty sure I would be kind of turned off.

The point of a beta is to fix all bugs before making a public release, the beta shouldn't be the first thing a new player plays.

If I started playing don't starve, and everything was buggy, and it kept on crashing, I'm pretty sure I would be kind of turned off.

While that is true, that's the only conclusion I can think of.

questionaires are always bs. But its just for statistics not really for credentials, since getting a key is like randomized. Some people are lucky, some people aren't. I have not gotten my beta key for my email that I used, However I got it from a friend, so I hit the jackpot in that sort of sense.

Though, sidenote, OOOH  vi profile pic :3

What kind of testers are you looking for?

"We are looking for all kinds of people. We are really interested in people who LOVE Don’t Starve, but we are also looking for people who are trying the game for the first time."

This is taken straight from JoeW from : http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/40548-dont-starve-together-closed-beta-info/

I understand your frustration, but you have to accept that beta invites are being handed out at random. Random. It's not like they picked your friend on purpose just to tick you off. Patience is a virtue, as they say :p 

Also, don't buy keys. That's just silly bananas 

I totally agree here as well.

I put all the right answers.

Gave my Klei Forums account.

Logged 482 Hours into DS (logged in another 62 in DST)

I even have been on the forums for more than 3 years now (no joke Wilson240 is my old account).

I've beta tested in RoG and beta tested late game as well and I'm okay that I didn't get a key straight away but I do feel that people who decide to do things like lie about everything. I own quite a collection of games really.

I got a key through someone who had gotten a key beforehand when 4 keys were given out per person.

I think people who are complaining about keys but missed the signup need to not be ones complaining despite us getting a promise.

I don't feel obligated to complain but I do feel obligated to speak my opinion.

Speaking of @Weirdobob,  did you sign up for the beta?

I think they were just using the questions to gauge what type of person you are if they actually read all 80,000... Anyways just wait your time and you'll get a key. I'm betting all my cash it's 100% random and as long as you applied for Beta you have a shot no matter who you are.

There is no wrong answers, however I think they were looking for extremities at the start. Players who knew nothing and players who knew everything and were most likely considered the frame makers of DST feedback. Gotta have a good frame before you start painting in the rest.

There is no wrong answers, however I think they were looking for extremities at the start. Players who knew nothing and players who knew everything and were most likely considered the frame makers of DST feedback. Gotta have a good frame before you start painting in the rest.

But when people sign up, don't care about the game, and sell all their keys to people who don't have them...

Thats the reason people who seem to be trustworthy or shown to have SOME interest should be in the beta.

In an alpha, fine, anything goes, but this is a beta.

But when people sign up, don't care about the game, and sell all their keys to people who don't have them...

Thats the reason people who seem to be trustworthy or shown to have SOME interest should be in the beta.

In an alpha, fine, anything goes, but this is a beta.

Hopefully, people who bought keys are people who provided beta feedback anyway.

It is just terribly hard to measure trustworthiness over the internet. From what I have interpreted, they have done lengthy discussions on how to handle the keys, and putting a bit of faith in the community was going to have to be part of the plan.

Why is it ok for alpha to be key madness? 

It made redundant bug report threads less common.

Other than that, pretty much nothing.

Only 10% of the people who have keys actually care about improving the game. The rest just plays it then quits because of how buggy it is or sells their keys for massive profit.

I'm pretty sure it's more for statistics, seeing what kind of person is interested in the beta/the game.

They still know whose going to want to play the game and beta test and whose just going to say "Gimme a key" and gallivant away play multiple other games.

Not that I do that, it's just I don't have much to do in playing DST atm.

Archived