What grinds your gears about DST beta.

You know what grinds my gears, I think its god dam stupid when I see 6 or more servers that have stayed up for over 30 mins and only have 1 player playing, it's like WHY?!?! Why does this person do such a thing?!?! D:< you might as well just go back to playing Don't starve if your gonna play DST alone

What's another thing that grinds my gears? People who don't explore on day 1 then type, "WHERES BASE?", DO YOU HAVE CARROTS?" (just look around for a day, so needy geez D:<), or someone joining then punches a beefalo and expect me to revive them(Hell no, that was natural selection playing its role, and I am not tampering with it.)

A world set with a high chance of food spawning(berry bushes/carrots), This is the WORSTEST(incorrect grammar on purpose) I mean why the hell would you do that? It's no fun if you can easily remedy one of your limitations(hunger). Actually I was wrong, that wasn't the WORSTEST, people who die of starvation in a server with a high chance of food spawning. Seriously, how do people manage to die of starvation when theres a million berry bushes in the world, I'm playing wolfgang, and all I did was walk 1 screen away and had a full stack of berries(exaggeration maybe 20, but still..) when I came back to base. Are people even trying to play a game?

okay stupid rants over.

You know what grinds my gears, I think its god dam stupid when I see 6 or more servers that have stayed up for over 30 mins and only have 1 player playing, it's like WHY?!?! Why does this person do such a thing?!?! D:< you might as well just go back to playing Don't starve if your gonna play DST alone

Because you can exploit DST. What happens if you die in SP Don't Starve and don't have any way of being revivied? Your world is lost.

What happens if you die in DST? Well, nothing. Ask your friend to quickly join the server and revive you and let him leave again. Or just spawn in an amulett.

I guaranty you, there will be more and more 1 Player servers if Klei doesn't change anything...

• Developer

@Tarkolis,

>>Because you can exploit DST

How is exploiting DST for single player gain any different from opening the console in original DS and making yourself invincible? Or quickly quitting the game when you die? 

>>I guaranty you, there will be more and more 1 Player servers if Klei doesn't change anything...

I just checked, there was 50 servers running - 4 of them had 1 player. 2 of those were not password protected, so they weren't playing alone by choice.The other two may be people who normally play with a friend and said friend is not available right now so they are gathering/building/preparing for when the friend comes online. Heck, they might be trying to repro a bug/working on a mod. They may be people just staying around as a ghost, not shutting down the world, so their friends can play on the world in a makeshift dedicated server.

I really don't think the exploitability is the reason people would play alone. You'd just play the base game, it has much less issues and is just as exploitable.

@bizziboi

My point was that it's a lot easier, you don't necessarily need to learn how to use the console and quitting the game always has the risk that you're not fast enough. (I think.. never've done it) So it's a safer way to cheat and more people will probably do it.

Of course I meant that this would happen (a lot more) when DST is finished, and has all the features.

But yes, the other reasons you mentioned for them to be alone are true of course!

I made my post sound a bit to agressiv, I'm sorry. I feel bad now. =(

I more or less wanted to mention my concerns to see a huge wall of locked 1 player servers in the future.

• Developer

@Tarkolis,

It's all good, I just wanted to counterbalance a bit :) 1 Player servers are also a concern of ours, which is why we handed out 2 keys per invite, and why we will continue to try to give players tools against grievers, which would hopefully lead to more open server. Ultimately we hope that multiplayer will be just too much fun to even *want* to play alone of course :)

1) The server can be just for testing.

2) The host may be preparing various stuff so the newcomers don't die immediately, i.e. making lots of winter hats.

post-226541-0-91652200-1415910380.jpg

Players who BURNS BURNS BURNS All of my berry bushes just as i'm done with planting them.

Players who summon a treeguard and then leaves, leaving me to kill it. I am afraid as fudge of treeguards.

Lag. lag lag lag lag lag lag

Players who doesn't talk the same languige (if that's how you spell it). (seriously, i don't speak russian. DON'T EXPECT ME TO SPEAK RUSSIAN. LEARN ENGLISH YOU INCOMPETENT FU-

just reviving a player and that player quits instantly.

Missing out on this experience simply because I wasn't "lucky" enough to receive a beta key.

Edit: That came off a little a rude. I understand that the beta key system is necessary. But you have to understand that having to sit and wait for this long while watching other people have fun can create salty feelings.

@Tarkolis,

It's all good, I just wanted to counterbalance a bit :-) 1 Player servers are also a concern of ours, which is why we handed out 2 keys per invite, and why we will continue to try to give players tools against grievers, which would hopefully lead to more open server. Ultimately we hope that multiplayer will be just too much fun to even *want* to play alone of course :-)

Ieys5lw.jpg

It's totally catching on. Hweeheeheehee :happypigs:

Players who doesn't talk the same languige (if that's how you spell it). (seriously, i don't speak russian. DON'T EXPECT ME TO SPEAK RUSSIAN. LEARN ENGLISH YOU INCOMPETENT FU-

But Russian is cool D: I'd like to learn Russian if I had the opportunity. If nothing else, for the future you could probably avoid a language barrier by searching for servers only in your local region? I should think something of that ilk will be implemented in the future primarily to further help cut down on entering high ping servers.

On another note I really don't think berating others for speaking a different language than you is fair. If it "Grinds your gears" that much maybe you should be the one learning Russian! XD

If someone doesn't speak English, it's not their fault. You're being very hypocritical by saying they need to learn English yet you don't need to learn Russian.

@Quady14

Oh sheesh, now they have me write "griefer" 500 times on the Klei blackboard.

Daily.

(I'm not a native speaker, so I am happy enough as is that you got the gist of what I was trying to say (well, okay, type))

Naw it's totally fine! I'm not even super picky about grammar or spelling or anything, it just reminded me of another topic on the forums where the joke was made that griefers in Don't Starve Together would be called grievers instead and be characterized by angry-faced warrior ghosts. It was just a silly coincidence that your misspelling happened to fit the joke. Of course I'm totally calling conspiracy theory that it was secretly intentional. ;P

Not really though :)

-Willows who burn things down immediately, especially when it's a forest. 1: That is not necessary and 2: unless you're freezing, you have no reason to burn everything down.

-People who ask me what to do when they sit around doing nothing. Like, okay, I understand you're client and all, but I'm not going to be your boss and order you around like slaves. Chop down trees, gather food, anything.

-People who take my stuff from chests and log off immediately without putting it back.

-Resource wasters.

-WXs who consume my remaining gears then leave forever.

I hate how I get the feeling that theres almost no point in playing on public servers :/, most of the ones I join I get immediately kicked or banned, people are so quick to ostrasize outsiders, then the ones that I dont get banned/kicked are either super laggy, or theres 1000 berry bushes within sprinting distance. I know I complain as much as everyones old granddaddy but its pretty sigh-worthy when you try to join a public server trying to befriend the inhabitants.

post-226541-0-91652200-1415910380.jpg

You know what really grinds my gears!?  When I cant find the droids I'm looking for.

post-215540-0-75202000-1415953197_thumb.

Maybe a solution to this could be the hosts native language in the server details? I haven't been pub jumping in Don't Starve, but I do remember in TF2 I ended up in a server from Quebec once. While I could play fine, warning them about Spies (or in the case of Don't Starve a Treeguard for example) was next to impossible. Or maybe it could be in the server tags or something, just so people can have a bit of an easier time finding their fellow... language speakers?

My only pet peeve with this game isn't even something that can be solved through tweaking as it's an attitude thing ha ha. Nobody seems to want to build up a server, everyone comes in expecting the work to already be done. I've just noticed people are more likely to stay when the base has already been started, rather than on the first ten days or so when the world is being mapped out.

Yarr, yeh freeloaders.

Maybe a solution to this could be the hosts native language in the server details? I haven't been pub jumping in Don't Starve, but I do remember in TF2 I ended up in a server from Quebec once. While I could play fine, warning them about Spies (or in the case of Don't Starve a Treeguard for example) was next to impossible. Or maybe it could be in the server tags or something, just so people can have a bit of an easier time finding their fellow... language speakers?

My only pet peeve with this game isn't even something that can be solved through tweaking as it's an attitude thing ha ha. Nobody seems to want to build up a server, everyone comes in expecting the work to already be done. I've just noticed people are more likely to stay when the base has already been started, rather than on the first ten days or so when the world is being mapped out.

Yarr, yeh freeloaders.

I considered finding a couple people on here to get into a teamspeak or something with and start up a new map... and then I remembered I hate people soo.

Yarr, yeh freeloaders.

I feel the 1st 10 days is the most fun part @_@ You get to see what people do to survive.

Archived