Don't Starve Together Mods FAQ

I'm afraid this is a problem that has to be contended with when trying to make autodownloading content. You either have to be 100% sure that the mods are on the workshop, which unfortunately isn't always going to be the case.....unless....

Okay, I think I see a solution of some sort. Perhaps, if people find DST mods on Klei forums that aren't on the workshop, a certain someone could try and get permission to repost the mod on Workshop so that there isn't this problem in the future. *winkwink*

The whole "encourage people to use Workshop" thing sounds nice, but i'm sensing the possibility of problems further down the road when DST gets out of beta.

@Silentdarkness1, for mods not on the Workshop, clients would just need to sync their mods with the server before joining it. Note that this is how Minecraft handles things to this day and it seems to do alright in terms of modding.

It's convenience-based functionality you're talking about, not core functionality. Everything will still work fine if mods are not on the Workshop; it'll just be less convenient for clients, as they'll have to manually download/install the mods that the server is using in order to be able to join it (hence the rise of modpacks within Minecraft modding).

Well, it's not like the rest of the mods are not on this site, and it's not like this site doesn't belong to klei anyway. It should be simple enough to put file download link into modinfo that the non-steam-community-exclusive modders could use to allow same functionality with files uploaded here as steam workshop code does to workshop mods.

Unless they think it's a positive thing to enforce steam exclusivity of DST even further/in the future.

• Like 2

@Silentdarkness1, for mods not on the Workshop, clients would just need to sync their mods with the server before joining it. Note that this is how Minecraft handles things to this day and it seems to do alright in terms of modding.

It's convenience-based functionality you're talking about, not core functionality. Everything will still work fine if mods are not on the Workshop; it'll just be less convenient for clients, as they'll have to manually download/install the mods that the server is using in order to be able to join it (hence the rise of modpacks within Minecraft modding).

Well, it's not like the rest of the mods are not on this site, and it's not like this site doesn't belong to klei anyway. It should be simple enough to put file download link into modinfo that the non-steam-community-exclusive modders could use to allow same functionality with files uploaded here as steam workshop code does to workshop mods.

Unless they think it's a positive thing to enforce steam exclusivity of DST even further/in the future.

I also think that having some Minecraft-esque style of mod delivery (possibly via librsync, to simplify and streamline the implementation) at least as an option would be nice. Currently DST seems very tied to the Steam API, but I hope that won't remain a hard dependency in the future...

• Like 4

Very true.

I also think that having some Minecraft-esque style of mod delivery (possibly via librsync, to simplify and streamline the implementation) at least as an option would be nice. Currently DST seems very tied to the Steam API, but I hope that won't remain a hard dependency in the future...

To be clear, Minecraft has no autodownloading features at all for mods (mods are all third-party, there is no official modding API, and there is no singular trusted host for mods). I think I really bungled up my post back there, and I take it all back. Adding support for autosyncing mods uploaded to these forums would indeed be nice.

Edited by squeek

To be clear, Minecraft has no autodownloading features at all for mods (mods are all third-party, there is no official modding API, and there is no singular trusted host for mods). I think I really bungled up my post back there, and I take it all back. Adding support for autosyncing mods uploaded to these forums would indeed be nice.

Oops, I forgot MC never implemented some form of auto-syncing. I guess I showed I could never really get much into MC, so I dealt little with the matter.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is: some level of independence from Steam would be nice. Though, of course (at least as I see it), it's not a development priority for DST beta (except in its later stages).

Hopefully this will help centralize the answers to questions about mods that I've been getting a lot of lately.

перевод на русский язык (Russian translation)

Does Don't Starve Together have mods?

How do I use mods in Don't Starve Together?

What mods work with Don't Starve Together?

Does everyone need the mod (both host and clients)?

How can I update my mod for Don't Starve Together?

Does Don't Starve Together have mods?

Yes! As of the "Stuck in the Middle with Ewe" update, the Steam Workshop is available and mods are enabled by default. Keep in mind that Klei is not providing any technical support for crashes or problems caused by mods. If you find a bug, you should try to replicate it with mods off.

How do I use mods in Don't Starve Together?

As of the "Stuck in the Middle with Ewe" update, mods are enabled by default. So you use them the same way as single-player, by subscribing in the Steam Workshop and then enabling them on the in-game mods menu.

Archive of the method you used to need to use:

You will have to edit the files for this. If you still want to do it, here's how:

You have to edit this line in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/settings.ini while the game is closed:
#MODS_ENABLED = true

Remove the #, so it looks like this:

MODS_ENABLED = true

Then put any mods you've downloaded into Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/mods/, then you can enable and disable mods with the in-game mods menu, like in single-player.

If text just doesn't do it for you, I present: "How to enable mods: the picture: the movie: the game". Well, maybe just the picture. And the game?

2kkvb5N.png?1

Close the game!

Open this file:

lshUvCW.png

This is what it looks like:

j7rcl0B.png

Make it look like this:

ha6zvI8.png

Download some mods. I don't think this has a good picture. You probably don't need one.

Put the mods in this folder:

aEozbGs.png

It's a crazy folder, I know. Look at all the work Steam does for you when you click "subscribe"

Open the game, and it should have this for you to click on:

JTKMBza.png

You should know what to do there already.

What mods work with Don't Starve Together?

All mods on the Steam Workshop should work with DST. Keep in mind that Workshop support was just added on December 2, 2014, so some mods may be in a partially-updated state as modders figure out how they need to rewrite.

List from when I was maintaining it:

Mods from single-player Don't Starve will almost certainly not work. Unless you are a mod developer, do not try to use them. As far as I know, these are all the publicly-available mods that work with Don't Starve Together:

Does everyone need the mod (both host and clients)?

It depends on the mod, but if you join a server with mods that you need as well, the Steam Workshop will automatically download and enable them for you (if the mods are on the Workshop). You don't have to worry about those mods sticking around when you don't want them-- they're only enabled while you're on that server!

For mod developers, if your mod has custom items, characters, or world entities, you will need to configure it to get downloaded for clients. You do this by adding this to your modinfo.lua:

--This lets clients know if they need to get the mod from the Steam Workshop to join the gameall_clients_require_mod = true

There are probably many other types of mod changes that would also require this, but items, characters, and world entities are the main ones.

UI mods should run fine regardless of whether you're a client or host, and mods that change gameplay numbers/hidden mechanics will most likely only need to run on the host.

How can I update my mod for Don't Starve Together?

Much of the game's code has changed, so almost every mod needs to be updated at least a little to work with Don't Starve Together. Since mod support is not official and the details of it may change, there's no guide to how to update or write a mod for Don't Starve Together. When mod support is more solid, I may write one. For now, you'll have to compare single-player versions of mods with ones that have been updated, or look at the game's code on your own to figure out how to update stuff (that's what I did).

I noticed an error when I use the "Always on Status" (I use map icons and mini HUD as well) but when I use this I get a crash, wondered if anyone else had the same issue? I noticed the problem yesterday. If I don't use Always on status and use the others, I don't crash at all. (I have not changed or messed with the files since I first installed, as I am no expert, and have no issues up til now.)

Added image.

flOvJfh.png

So, just to clarify for us idiots out here... to run a server with mods I need to install the mods (via Workshop) on my end and start the server. Then when anyone joins the server they will automatically download the installed mods from Steam Workshop. Have I got that right? No need to edit any settings files or anything?

Thanks for any help.

@weeag, Yup. Some mods won't be automatically downloaded because not everyone needs to have them, though. Think Always On Status or Minimap HUD-- some people might have it, some might not, and it doesn't impact anyone else.

Awesome - thanks!

Hmm, tried running with the Display Food Values mod. It worked for me but didn't activate for anyone else. I did notice the settings.ini file in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/ did have the following line:

#MODS ENABLED = true 

I have removed the # and will try again tonight.

• Developer

Hmm, tried running with the Display Food Values mod. It worked for me but didn't activate for anyone else. I did notice the settings.ini file in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/ did have the following line:

#MODS ENABLED = true 

I have removed the # and will try again tonight.

You don't need to uncomment that line in your settings.ini file. Looking at the comments from the Display Food Values mod here, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=347079953, it looks like this mod is not yet functional for players other than the host.

PLEASE HELP

I am getting this error when I try and load my saved map in DST. I am not sure which mod it is that is doing this, and far as I know there is no such file that this thing keeps looking for.

LOG:

[00:02:49]: [string "scripts/components/scenariorunner.lua"]:31: module 'scenarios/desertedcamp02' not found:
no file '../mods/workshop-403252663/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-404161345/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-378160973/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-382177939/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-407977022/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-364821573/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-364491382/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-367304592/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-364189966/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-366048578/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-369083494/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-369081028/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-373847037/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-374550642/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-371920345/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-363710017/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-369520360/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-363819976/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-362480044/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-363112314/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-353697884/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-354533909/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-352499675/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-357847848/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-347360448/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-352373173/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-356930882/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-357875628/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-405506326/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-362022168/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-362175979/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-361994110/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-358015908/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-358297643/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-360319890/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-375440696/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-375850593/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-345692228/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-389709
[00:02:49]: SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen
[00:02:49]: ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.
[00:02:49]: Reset() returning
[00:02:49]: Assert failure 'text_len * NUM_VERTICES_PER_CHAR < MAX_NUM_CHARS * NUM_VERTICES_PER_CHAR' at ..\source\game\render\BitmapFontRenderer.cpp(1301): Trace follows...

PLEASE HELP

I am getting this error when I try and load my saved map in DST. I am not sure which mod it is that is doing this, and far as I know there is no such file that this thing keeps looking for.

LOG:

[00:02:49]: [string "scripts/components/scenariorunner.lua"]:31: module 'scenarios/desertedcamp02' not found:
no file '../mods/workshop-403252663/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-404161345/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-378160973/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-382177939/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-407977022/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-364821573/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-364491382/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-367304592/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-364189966/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-366048578/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-369083494/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-369081028/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-373847037/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-374550642/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-371920345/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-363710017/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-369520360/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-363819976/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-362480044/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-363112314/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-353697884/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-354533909/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-352499675/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-357847848/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-347360448/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-352373173/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-356930882/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-357875628/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-405506326/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-362022168/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-362175979/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-361994110/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-358015908/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-358297643/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-360319890/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-375440696/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-375850593/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-345692228/scripts/scenarios/desertedcamp02.lua' (checked with custom loader)
no file '../mods/workshop-389709
[00:02:49]: SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen
[00:02:49]: ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.
[00:02:49]: Reset() returning
[00:02:49]: Assert failure 'text_len * NUM_VERTICES_PER_CHAR < MAX_NUM_CHARS * NUM_VERTICES_PER_CHAR' at ..\source\game\render\BitmapFontRenderer.cpp(1301): Trace follows...

Additional Set Pieces, you should probably read the posts by the author.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394470072

Edited by Kzisor
  • Like 1