Steam - Don't Starve Fail to launch

MastaDono

It's been a long time since I played that game and it's also been a while since this problem occurs, at first, I didn't searched for help because I though I could handle it but I've tried so many things and they all didn't work so I was kind of giving up... But then all my friends bought the game and the multiplayer update is comming and I couldn't wait to play this awesome game with them! My computer also had a motherboard change I I though this would solve the problem since I could start all over...But no. The problem is still there and I really need professional help to solve this once and for all.

I may have a quite old version of the game since I never had to chance to update it because it wouldn't launch....

I tried redownloading DXRedist and VCRedist many times but it won't change anything.

I also tried redownloading multiple times the game and also tchecking the game cache but it won't work.

Some facts I remember that may help you solve the problem:

-When it crashed for the first time, I was testing mods downloaded from the Steam Workshop. At first I could restart the game after the crash, but then I couldn't. Don't worry, I tried many times cleaning the mod folder, even delete the folder itself but no results...

-Also another odd thing that happens is that when I tcheck the game cache, it says that many fails were corrected (about 400) and when I go tcheck the DXRedist Folder and it's FILLED with precisely 158 Winrar folders (counting the installer) here's some exemples:

Feb2005_d3dx9_24_x64

Feb2006_d3dx9_29_x64

FEB2007_XACT_x64

Feb2010_X3DAudio_x64

Jun2005_d3dx9_26_x86

JUN2006_XACT_x86

Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x64

APR2007_xinput_x86

I don't really know what that means but is that normal??

I mean, I never played don't starve in Febuary 2005 :I

I also tried setting different launching options such as:

-windowed -w 1366 -h 768

-fullscreen

(In steam forums, that actually worked for someone)

And if you want to know my computer specs:

-Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz  2.00GHz

-Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00 Go

-System Type: 64bits

-Tell me if there's something missing you need to know

Thank you so much!!

:wilson_laugh:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe

There is only one setup in the redist directory. Run it and see if it helps. If not manually run (not just redownload) the setup.exe in the other two redist folders. You said you downloaded them. Did you run them yourself? Sometimes steam will get confused about its initial 'one time setup' scripts and fail to run all the dependancy installers.

Hmm, you mentioned that you had some mods installed when the issue started happening? It could be that one ore more of the mods is causing the issue. Have you tried removing or uninstalling those mods one-by-one to see if that helps?

If not, you could try uninstalling the game, then manually deleting any remaining Don't Starve files before you try re-install.

Hmm, you mentioned that you had some mods installed when the issue started happening? It could be that one ore more of the mods is causing the issue. Have you tried removing or uninstalling those mods one-by-one to see if that helps?

If not, you could try uninstalling the game, then manually deleting any remaining Don't Starve files before you try re-install.

Yeah Also sorry for the delay I had some trouble with my account but now I it's fixed.

I indeed tried to uninstall all the mods and uninstalling the game and reinstalling it but now that I think of it, I don't remember searching for Don't Starve files after I uninstall the game... I'll try this out and give you guys some news...

But I noticed something very strange about my steam Don't Starve:

I went at my girlfriend's house and wanted to show her that awesome game so I installed steam on her computer and then downloaded Don't Strave on steam. Everything worked: the game launched and I was about to create a new game when I found that ALL my old game files were there! How's that possible? On my computer I had to restart a new game with the default character Wilson but freshly installed on my girlfriend's computer, Don't Starve had all my games and unlocked characters, weird isn't it?

Yeah Also sorry for the delay I had some trouble with my account but now I it's fixed.

I noticed something very strange about my steam Don't Starve:

I went at my girlfriend's house and wanted to show her that awesome game so I installed steam on her computer and then downloaded Don't Strave on steam. Everything worked: the game launched and I was about to create a new game when I found that ALL my old game files were there! How's that possible? On my computer I had to restart a new game with the default character Wilson but freshly installed on my girlfriend's computer, Don't Starve had all my games and unlocked characters, weird isn't it?

Oh and sorry for the imprecision here: I had to start back from scratch on my computer because the hardware crashed or something like that so all it's memory has been wiped out including my game files.

It hapenned multiple times and then they changed the ''mother board'' or something like that and now everything's fine... But how through all those crashes and memory wipes my game files survived...On another computer! Wich is even weirder, right?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe

There is only one setup in the redist directory. Run it and see if it helps. If not manually run (not just redownload) the setup.exe in the other two redist folders. You said you downloaded them. Did you run them yourself? Sometimes steam will get confused about its initial 'one time setup' scripts and fail to run all the dependancy installers.

Excuse me but I redownloaded DX but how do you run them exactly? the ddl files?

Excuse me but I redownloaded DX but how do you run them exactly? the ddl files?

You dont run dll files.  You run exe files.  DLL = dynamic link library.  Its code that gets loaded by the actual program so you dont run them yourself.

You dont run dll files.  You run exe files.  DLL = dynamic link library.  Its code that gets loaded by the actual program so you dont run them yourself.

Ok but the only .exe files that I can find is the installer...Any folders that I have to check in?

Thanks Alot!

Archived