Sign in to follow this  
Smissen

Mandrake?

Kangaxx    10

Hey I too just found a couple of them and am also scratching my head as to whats going on with them. They are a food item as you can eat them although they don't sate any hunger. They also don't do any dmg like monster meat (cooked or uncooked) does. You can't cook them either so I am left wondering what the use is for them. One idea I have is that when you pick them out of the ground (as they shriek when picked) they could maybe dmg/put to sleep monsters. My last thought on the matter is the use for them is not implemented into the game yet (look at papyrus).

Edited by Kangaxx

Kangaxx    10

Was just looking through the patch notes and noticed the mention of "reports of a mysterious new creature hiding somewhere on the island!" I can only assume that it is the mysterious mandrake?

Smissen    10

Hmm idk, but i tried researching them and that didn't work :(But i wonder what the use for them is thou...Also i really donno if thats the creature since well it kinda sounds different but idk don't really remember the screech in my head ^^.So if the mandrake isn't the mysterious creature what is :o let's go search...

Mathalu    10

I have picked a few mandrakes and I can confirm that that sound is more than likely the mandrake itself.Mandrakes are not necessarily "dead" upon picking. If it is dead, you can eat it, and I am pretty sure it heals some health but that still needs to be confirmed. But sometimes, if you pick one it will hop around and follow you like a pig or other regular follower (I don't think it can attack anything), and it will start making that noise. I am not sure how this happens or how you would go about doing this. You might want to try picking them during the evening/night, however, because that is about the time when I picked mine. The sunlight probably has some sort of an effect on them and kills them once they are picked during the day.Well that's my two-cents.

LadyD    3445

They might have a later use in Magic?Maybe can make something using magic like a potion? Haha I don't know.Or a stew in future where cooking lets you combine items? So meat + mandrake = stew?

Kangaxx    10

They might have a later use in Magic?Maybe can make something using magic like a potion? Haha I don't know.

A future magic item makes sense as they are a magical plant. One thing I would like to see in game is a speed potion.

LadyD    3445

I will do some experiment once I find some of this mandrake stuff... Where is it best found? Swamps?

LadyD    3445

If that where true both of mine wouldn't be dead.:p

Dont feel too bad I just got killed by honey bees.....

Excess    55

And make sure to pick them at night there where only two in my world.

I finally managed to find one, but it was daylight; so I waited. I didn't see the 4 tier-3 spider dens that surrounded it. I got swarmed and died. I never got to pick it up......I love this game :D

KonradosHut    29
@Excess Well, that's Don't Starve for you... the game where you struggle not to starve and end up being a fat dinner for ugly fourlegged spiders... or get stung really bad in the but by giant mean honey bees...

LadyD    3445

I swore the bees multipled when I wasn't looking. It wasn't 6 bees that attacked it was like 12. And yes I wasn't paying attention. Lol.Thats how I got killed by spiders too. I took some pigmen into battle... at dusk. Didn't see the second nest.SPLAT