Furthest Day

The wikia one has a had debated facts before, the most recent one being that the feather hat makes bird spawn more often. Whether this is true or not has not been confirmed.

I think it is safe to say that it does not at this point. If you dont wear the hat you still see more birds than before and the devs have not mentioned it being implemented in the game once.

First few times I only made it to day 4-6, mainly because I'm an absolute idiot:

Was low on health. Ate monster meat... Died.

Decided I needed some silk... went and attacked a spider nest... died.

Oh hey I found some pigs... maybe if I kill it further away I'll be fine.... OH CRAP... instant death as pigs come from all directions.

Right now as I'm playing it safe, I'm up to day 15 with Willow :D

I'm on day 138 on my first game now. Hoping today's update doesn't force restarting, because I don't want to lose all my experience. If I off myself now, will I get all the characters?

Most likely. I had just unlocked Wendy, then I played a game until day 100. It was more than enough exp to unlock Wolfgang.

You can always backup your save in case you don't. You can actually die, unlock the new character, restore your save, and you'll be back on your current save and map. Then, you can use the tent to change to your new unlocked character. I'm making a post about it.