I can't believe griefing is a problem already

So I hosted a server earlier today hoping I will get nice helpful people joining my server.

This was only the second time I tried hosting.

Some clever individual thought it would be funny to plant trees all around my base and set fire to them. Before I realized what they were doing they were asking me questions about RoG and whether there's giants and stuff in DST so he probably thought chests and science machines burn too like they do in the expansion. Fortunately they didn't but this person did set fire to all my living logs. The logs that were acquired after my companions died helping me fight a treeguard early-game.

Then they just left.

The fact that this is happening already is quite disturbing. What will happen in the future when DST is released to the public? When there will be even more griefers? This is what normally happens in games like Minecraft where immature kids have access to the game. But a game like Don't Starve? When DST is still in beta? *shudder*

I can't believe there's people that have signed up for the beta and are lucky enough to get in who think it is smart to cause people grief. Especially when as a beta testers we're encouraged to help make the game better for those who have to wait for a long time to play. What sort of ungrateful, inconsiderate person does it take to have a mindset like that?

What's that you say? Why don't you lock your server? Well that'd be no fun, I'm better off playing singleplayer than doing that, I have no friends to play with who have DST.

Well I'm probably making it out to be worse than it is. I don't know how much of a problem it is at the moment. Maybe I just got very unlucky. Either way I want to know what others think will be a good method to prevent griefing/trolling.

Oh and can anyone tell me what the kick command is?

TheNet:kick(id)

TheNet:ban(id)

You can see players ID's by pressing Backspace and looking on the bottom-right corner.

Also when some "clever" player decides to burn your stuff you can either make hard reset of the game (alt+F4) or spawn your lost loot by c_spawn("youritemhere", amount) command, for ex. c_spawn("amulet",20) will spawn 20 LifeGiving Amulets at the place where your mouse is pointing.

And about griefing and trolling:

I+know+it+s+been+said+but+leave+from+the

I'm so sorry to hear that! This is exactly my fear, which is why I haven't hosted a public server yet.

You could try getting a discussion going and finding other forum members to play with here. It seems like we've all been pretty honest about whether we want to play co-op or more PvP style, so it should be easier to gather some new Steam buddies with like-minded playstyles.

Well, this is why I'm glad most of the people that joined first on my server were actually people who wanted to play. I think the problem is some people think it's fine to roll on public servers. This is becoming a problem since it's basically everywhere. I'd be careful about who you let in. But we need commands (/kick and /ban anyone?) also, unicode.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つGIVE ME UNICODE ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Of course griefing is a problem in the beta. As beta testers our job is to siscover flaws before the general release. Right now there is no way to deal with griefing and it is a huge issue making public servers unplayable. I'm sure that the developers are aware of this and are working on fixes such as banning and kicking as well as balancing fire and how players interact with eachother. Instead of complaining about griefers try comeing up with constructive ideas to deal with griefing and make the experience better for those who play the game in the future.

If you do not want to be griefed do not host a public game.

Somewhat unfortunate but I agree. One of the people up in arms about it already found the solution: ask on forums to start a group. IMO klei should just start right now with a "group builder" sub-forum.

I have played DST fully on public servers so far (30 hours) with no problems and will continue to do so. And the level I'm at in the game someone would need to spend a few hours literally burning every single biome to mess up the game. Clownbaby has been running an open server for awhile so he ran into a lot of griefers. The most he lost while I was there was a bunch of wooden walls and 50 grass/50 twigs, but all of those were replaced within a few days. I've seen people at high level days in the base game/ROG who only have say 15 berry bushes, "Oh yea that was an unfortunate fire that happened..", in DST it might be, "Oh yea that was some loser..". Annoying yes, but I don't see a reason to start taking away peoples keys or spending Klei man hours on anti-griefer code. Modders can handle it if needed and otherwise make good groups with people who truly want to play.

Maybe introduce objects that are "owned" by the player and his party, which couldn't be destroyed by anyone outside of that party? A party system would eed to be implemented as well.

There's no simple fix to the problem, other than finding friends and playing with them only.

Maybe introduce objects that are "owned" by the player and his party, which couldn't be destroyed by anyone outside of that party? A party system would eed to be implemented as well.

There's no simple fix to the problem, other than finding friends and playing with them only.

No, this is definitely something but it'd take more time to code in than fix bugs and re-implement some things currently not in DST. I feel kicking and banning would be better options.

GIVE ME UNICODE PLS.

If you do not want to be griefed do not host a public game.

This a pretty pitiful solution. That is like not using the internet to avoid trolls.

For now, if you see a player starting to grief, ban him and undo any damage by restarting the server. It is also in your best interest to back up the server files, in case it saves at a bad moment. 

When dedicated servers come about, it will take more than this.

Might I suggest having a "whitelist" via this subforum. Start a thread inviting these wonderful people here, send off a PM with the password to those interested, and there you go! Either that, start playing PvP. There's nothing wrong with that experience either. After all, it's just a game. I feel your pain, but giving these guys weight lets them win in the end. Happy surviving! :)

And how exactly will that help with griefing in the long run, hmm?

This wouldn't be a long term solution.

The only solution long term would be a ban from the game for a certain amount of time, depending on the trouble they've caused.

The solution they have put would be more short term if anything.

If it was usable it could be a help for beta alone.

Seeing as beta is supposed to be a help in finding bugs, glitches, and the like, this would be a problem fixer for this issue.

Griefers are people who know of a problem and abuse it, they rarely report it because they want to have power over certain things.

If you notice what they're abusing that crashes the game or what not, report it to the forums unless it already has been done.

I would say, do take screenshots if possible, especially for hackers.

People who are hacking or abusing the game in beta are not helping, in any form, to bring the game's progress forward.

It might not give any way of stopping them from playing the game but would give notice to all other players that if they were to see that name to ban the person immediately.

Again, not long term, but a short term solution so beta can continue and the game can make it's way to release.

Multiplayer games always have this issue, it's a risk you've taken when going into public areas.

This wouldn't be a long term solution.

The only solution long term would be a ban from the game for a certain amount of time, depending on the trouble they've caused.

The solution they have put would be more short term if anything.

If it was usable it could be a help for beta alone.

Seeing as beta is supposed to be a help in finding bugs, glitches, and the like, this would be a problem fixer for this issue.

Griefers are people who know of a problem and abuse it, they rarely report it because they want to have power over certain things.

If you notice what they're abusing that crashes the game or what not, report it to the forums unless it already has been done.

I would say, do take screenshots if possible, especially for hackers.

People who are hacking or abusing the game in beta are not helping, in any form, to bring the game's progress forward.

It might not give any way of stopping them from playing the game but would give notice to all other players that if they were to see that name to ban the person immediately.

Again, not long term, but a short term solution so beta can continue and the game can make it's way to release.

Multiplayer games always have this issue, it's a risk you've taken when going into public areas.

Good thing they have a /kick and /ban system now I set my server to private because of too many people who wanted to join or joined then left and never came back. Yes, this is and will be an ongoing problem in every multiplayer game. My best example is Minecraft Classic.

The only problem I have with griefers atm is yes they are ruining the beta experience a little.  Yes it was a bit annoying when they burned my base but thats not the part of the experience I'm talking about.  I'm referring to the ongoing and continuous trend that they encourage, private servers.  The more they grief the fewer public servers there are. 

Yes, they are annoying.  Yes, they are destructive.  But should we ball up and hide in our shells?  NO.  Unfortunately everyone else thinks yes.  And that is why I am stuck more often than not playing a server I built because everyone else password protects their server to avoid trouble.  I thought we wanted DST to experience playing with others and the uncertainty of the wild.  Where is the fun of signing on with 3 other people you know and who are the exact same caliber of player you are and banging out the world in less 20 days?  Not to bash anyone who does find this fun and this is their primary play strategy, but personally I find that boring.  I enjoy meeting new and old players of varying degrees of skill.  I look forward to finding the super-noobs to DST who dont even know DS and showing them the ropes.  I like taking tours of different worlds that were constructed and approached in varying ways.

But all that stops when you let the griefers win and you make private servers.  Dont let the griefers win.......

EDIT: Woo Hoo!   First post of page 2!  Bow before your page King!

The only problem I have with griefers atm is yes they are ruining the beta experience a little.  Yes it was a bit annoying when they burned my base but thats not the part of the experience I'm talking about.  I'm referring to the ongoing and continuous trend that they encourage, private servers.  The more they grief the fewer public servers there are. 

Yes, they are annoying.  Yes, they are destructive.  But should we ball up and hide in our shells?  NO.  Unfortunately everyone else thinks yes.  And that is why I am stuck more often than not playing a server I built because everyone else password protects their server to avoid trouble.  I thought we wanted DST to experience playing with others and the uncertainty of the wild.  Where is the fun of signing on with 3 other people you know and who are the exact same caliber of player you are and banging out the world in less 20 days?  Not to bash anyone who does find this fun and this is their primary play strategy, but personally I find that boring.  I enjoy meeting new and old players of varying degrees of skill.  I look forward to finding the super-noobs to DST who dont even know DS and showing them the ropes.  I like taking tours of different worlds that were constructed and approached in varying ways.

But all that stops when you let the griefers win and you make private servers.  Dont let the griefers win.......

Amen, good to see someone with a similar mindset. ;)

I believe that the easiest way to deal with the griefers and other annoing people is to add to the game report/commend system (yes, similar to the one in dota2).

Give every player ability to report players for griefing, rude communication and so on and to commend for helping, teaching and good communication. Number of commends and reports of every kind should be visible in player profile so host can autoban, for example, people with high amount of reports for griefing.

Easy breezy.

P.S. Sorry for my language. I'm not a bot :D

I believe that the easiest way to deal with the griefers and other annoing people is to add to the game report/commend system (yes, similar to the one in dota2).

Give every player ability to report players for griefing, rude communication and so on and to commend for helping, teaching and good communication. Number of commends and reports of every kind should be visible in player profile so host can autoban, for example, people with high amount of reports for griefing.

Easy breezy.

P.S. Sorry for my language. I'm not a bot :D

Welcome to the forums! Whilst this could help, I still have my doubts, for a few reasons:

- Would it be worth it for Klei to spend time and resources into making this system?

- The recommending part could be abused by the griefers to appear nicer than they actually are

- Who manages the reports?

- How can you judge that a player was intentionally griefing? Sure, being rude is easily noticable but there's still the rare occasion a report is send that convicts an innocent person. I think about the butterfly incident from The Letter W. She haunted a butterfly which set ablaze the entire base. Make a screenshot when she's floating there and BAM W became a griefer that burned the base down.

- Coming back to the previous point, only video footage of the act seems to provide solid proof. But then again Klei would have to introduce a system like that or force people to record their sessions somehow.

There are means to kick and ban griefers already, and to undo their damage by doing a hard reset of the game (ALT F4), is that not enough to undo and subdue?

The game was doomed to become griefable. The only thing you can do is play with friends, or maybe form a Steam group so you can organize games with others.

The game should be a little griefable but DS is designed in such a way that it really hurts when someone decides to mess with you. 

Archived