Censorship attacks?

greenglacier

Censoring something that no one's ever complained about or even showed to be even slightly offended about is a senseless censoring for me, if *** is considered a bad enough number to be consored because of its meaning in a religion/culture (even if NO ONE ever complained about it) then why not ban all other numbers that could mean something that could offend someone? 69, 13, etc.

Or even delete all the topics that could offend someone, even if they are constructive? If someone is easily offended enough to think that number is bad enough to be censored what would they think of the Binding of Isaac thread for one? I'd rather if the 'People can censor words they dislike by themselves' idea was on, instead of this 'censor this in every post' policy. 

A single number does not have a meaning other then the place it occupies on the never-ending line of infinite numbers.

It is us, as single entities that give it a meaning it is in fact not supposed to have.

I could say the number 57 will trigger the Apocalypse if said 57 times in a row, but that would never be true.

And so the much hated, yet so much loved number 6 6 6, is nothing but a simple number. 

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla is meant to cause a negative reaction, it was added to the bad word list. 

True: We added the meaning to the word.

But it's there. It still means something that could offend a culture, and I'm sure Klei has at least received 1 complaint about a user's username. As @JoeW perfectly stated, the number is meant to cause a negative reaction, I know what it means, you know what it means, hell, even Atheists know what it means! Pretty much everyone that has been on the internet knows what it means.

You know it's the guy downstair's number.

You know it's meant to be evil.

It's been that way for years, decades, centuries.

This isn't the only website I've seen censor it.

The real moral of the story is:

Klei does what they have to do so that they get as little complaints as possible. And, well, here's another thought: What if, WHAT IF, One of the Klei workers is offended by the number? Well, that out rules you by 90876543567890876543, at least on here anyway.

Trust me, even I've gotten an email from an offended christian by one of my posts, I apologised, and edited it.

the number is meant to cause a negative reaction,

Or, you know, it can be used as a normal number? Or simply in a discussion? That's like banning the word maggot because it's usually used as insult.

-

You know it's the guy downstair's number.

You know it's meant to be evil.

It's been that way for years, decades, centuries.

This isn't the only website I've seen censor it.

The number 13 is (in a way) meant to be evil, wheres the censoring on it? The number 69 is often used as a symbol of a profane action, wheres the censoring on it? Why should this be in any for or way special.

Its meant to be evil if the person on the other side thinks it, hell, if 'its meant to evil' is enough of a reason to censor something then why didn't JoeW ban certain users who where impersonation evil characters? Why simply focus on this number and on this religion?

-

The real moral of the story is:

Klei does what they have to do so that they get as little complaints as possible.

Do you know other way of NEVER getting complaints? By not allowing anyone to post, censor everything and no one will ever be able to complain.

-

And, well, here's another thought: What if, WHAT IF, One of the Klei workers is offended by the number? Well, that out rules you by 90876543567890876543, at least on here anyway.

It doesn't, as it's simply a theory, a guess, had you have any actual information that a worker in Klei DOES indeed find that number offensive I'd take that as a realible argument, but using the same logic I could say that theres one worker in Klei Entertainment finds the number 16 offensive, and that It should be censored.

Censoring the whole in order to benefit one is not a good way of solving problems, see my previous suggestion for one, users actually being able to censor for themselves words that offend/trigger them, which is far better than censoring the whole. On my eyes JoeW seems to like such idea(however as he keeps his opinions regards suggestions for the forums mostly in secret I'll keep that just as an theory) as he implemented the ability to ignore users and more, wouldn't it be even better if we had the ability to 'ignore' more things? Like ignoring X threads, X words? It would be the same as our already available ability to ignore, it doesn't hurt the whole, and benefits the user who choose to ignore Y thing.

-

The number 13 is (in a way) meant to be evil, wheres the censoring on it? The number 69 is often used as a symbol of a profane action, wheres the censoring on it? Why should this be in any for or way special.

Its meant to be evil if the person on the other side thinks it, hell, if 'its meant to evil' is enough of a reason to censor something then why didn't JoeW ban certain users who where impersonation evil characters? Why simply focus on this number and on this religion?

-

Do you know other way of NEVER getting complaints? By not allowing anyone to post, censor everything and no one will ever be able to complain.

-

It doesn't, as it's simply a theory, a guess, had you have any actual information that a worker in Klei DOES indeed find that number offensive I'd take that as a realible argument, but using the same logic I could say that theres one worker in Klei Entertainment finds the number 16 offensive, and that It should be censored.

Censoring the whole in order to benefit one is not a good way of solving problems, see my previous suggestion for one, users actually being able to censor for themselves words that offend/trigger them, which is far better than censoring the whole. On my eyes JoeW seems to like such idea(however as he keeps his opinions regards suggestions for the forums mostly in secret I'll keep that just as an theory) as he implemented the ability to ignore users and more, wouldn't it be even better if we had the ability to 'ignore' more things? Like ignoring X threads, X words? It would be the same as our already available ability to ignore, it doesn't hurt the whole, and benefits the user who choose to ignore Y thing.

Oh, forgive me for not thinking that the number 13 means something terribly awful in "Zoroastrianism" (Didn't even know that was a religion, but I guess it is now) and I apologise to all Zoroastrainismists.

And sure, 69 has some "questionable" backstories, but I haven't actually seen the number being used as what it originally meant recently, and if you easily get horrifically offended by se- sek- seh- seshual content on the internet you shouldn't exist, unless, of course, you are new to the internet, earth, or being a human. I'll admit: It's a pretty sensitive topic for me, I do not like it, I do not find the appeal in it, (That's as far as I'm going with it) and it's overall confusing to me why people are so obsessed with it.

And I kind of get your suggestion: It'd be interesting to have a rating system for topics, so you can block out X, Y, or maybe even Z threads if you so desire. I know for one I'd block out X threads (ifyouknowwhatimean).

Guys! You must see this!

@DwerBomb @Malan-Tai @Weirdobob @MenaAthena @Yay @Palpetinus @S-Snob Wait.. @Halved @Hugo M. @ThePreChewedTree @XirmiX and of course @the truthseeker my dear friend.

Big brother JoeW! You won't be able to talk out yourself and your companions from this! I'm sure the why of its 66 not three six after each other is because of the censor! If you would put three six there that would be censored! Klei is loominati! 

Plz dnt take dis srs. It iz just a joke. Dnt make me qvickscop ur whole familly. Thx.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/42184-healp-these-m8s-want-me-to-quickscop-right-in-teh-babymaker/#entry552374

Again, another thread locked.

Again. And only because it was somehow 'stupid', you might say.

No it wasn't stupid nor useless.

It was FUNNY. A thread for a random chat with our forums friends to laugh together about some illuminati jokes.

Are we under a dictatorship?

What is the other thing that will be under censure? Our ability to reply?

The Off-Topic section itself?!

We no longer can have a funny random chat? No longer joke about anything?

Please. This is getting ridiculous.

If the post/thread doesn't follow the rules it will be locked or removed accordingly. 

No, you are not under a dictatorship. You are on the forum for a video game company to discuss that companies video games. The fact that we have an off-topic section for you to discuss things that aren't Klei games, does not give people the right to just do or say whatever you want. 

The rules are pretty relaxed and not strict at all. I don't think it's too much to ask. 

If the post/thread doesn't follow the rules it will be locked or removed accordingly. 

No, you are not under a dictatorship. You are on the forum for a video game company to discuss that companies video games. The fact that we have an off-topic section for you to discuss things that aren't Klei games, does not give people the right to just do or say whatever you want. 

The rules are pretty relaxed and not strict at all. I don't think it's too much to ask. 

Happy Uppercase Letter Day!

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/42197-happy-uppercase-letter-day/

Thank you Dwer for your sympathy but JoeW I don't see how different it was from the other 'pointless' threads to got locked I made it for fun and I guess it wasn't secret. Though I've an idea why it got locked. The last picture I posted was "racist" because it showed an afro american. But I'm going to stop here... In the end I'll be the big bad wolf and gonna get an another warning. So have a good day.

I made repeated posts about us being guests to Klei's business vis a vis guests in the forums, and this was a consensus and not an open square.

But if people are just going to post stuff all over the place without thought or consideration, it's not going to stay open.

I don't like censorship, at all.

Even so, there are limits what even I will accept as constructive and it gets into derailing. OT has relaxed standards, not no standards at all. 

This thread wasn't censorship, it was pointless.

Yeah, they were a spam account. But a whole wasted multimedia 'scope presentation conspiracy was done on nothing.

That's the point on the threads that need to be held back and commenting on threads that have no point. Again, hate censorship, but enough is enough. 

So, for example TALKING IN ALL CAPS or MixEd TYpe aS ITs OwN ToPic ain't cutting it. Neither is just outright rambling or mentally barfing up topics.

Rule of thumb: if you suddenly walked into your living room and started doing this, and others told you to stop it, it is likely questionable here. 

These locks weren't my call, but Klei's. But since people are being told why and aren't getting it, I'm stepping in as a face on the matter and politely but firmly explaining what is being said here. 

If you have questions on a locked thread or if something is appropriate please PM a Klei member or a moderator (and not just me please,) or use this link

Thank you for your understanding. 

I don't approve of this topic either, so I guess we're even on having our jimmies rustled.

I approve of the topic discussing censor, I do not approve of simple mockery which only aims to make fun of the situation and isn't constructive at all.

EDIT: I believe it also seems like the discussing is done and everything following wouldn't be constructive. Hint hint.

I'm merging this with another other "why censorship" thread.

Please read the pinned forum rules and the OT pinned rules before new threads are made. And look to see if a prior topic already was mad, no matter which sub forum it's in. 

(And it's discussing censorship. Not censor, when acting on something. A censor is the subject, censorship is the predicate.) 

@Snob @the truthseeker @JoeW totally agree with you. Do I have other choice? Nope. As you said there are rules what the members must comply no matter what. I don't think so this thread provides any more information about my question, rather makes discords betwen peiple. However, I saw various members' various opinions and even JoeW's. I'll request locking this topic. Anyways, I had a great fun here :)

I approve of the topic discussing censor

(I think I'm making myself sound like some incompetent arsehole, woopsies.)

I also approve of discussing about censorship, but when it comes to discussing about it in these forums where people don't have the option to block particular words, I find it rather.. Pointless? Dull? I can't find the right word for it..

I'd find it worth my time to discuss about censorship when people DO have the option to block content. Just saiyan.

Archived