Sign in to follow this  
Corey

"Error: Module load error:" - MASTER THREAD

Corey    181

Hey everyone,

Some people are encountering a crash that spits out a very vague error that reads "Error: Module load error: undefined."

We just wanted to create a single thread that lets everyone know this issue is on the top of our development priority list. We'll be updating everyone using this master thread until we are able to push a fix.

WHAT WE'RE DOING:

We're currently working on cornering the exact issue. At the moment, it seems to be happening to different people at random times. Some people more than others. Since we have limited data on what's causing it, we're not sure yet if it's one issue, or multiple causing the same generic error. Our current goal is to reliably diagnose the cause, so we can move onto fixes.

In the mean time, I've made this thread sticky at the top of the Bug Reports forum and I'll be locking the existing threads about the topic after I point them here.

Thanks for your patience, we're working hard to clear this up ASAP for everyone!

UPDATES:

Sept/20/2012

We released a new version of Don't Starve today that gives us a bit more info about what's happening. Instead of a vague "Undefined" error, you will get a more specific NaCl error. You can see the full list here.

Sept/28/2012

Google maintains a list of video card/OS/driver combinations that are prevented from running OpenGL inside of Native Client. When one of these combinations is detected Chrome itself can fall back to software rasterizing, but we become unable to create a GL context and so the game is unable to run.

According to Google, the most common reason for a blacklist entry is out of date drivers and is particularly common on Windows XP machines. So, if the game reports a GL error message we highly recommend that you try updating your video card drivers because that just might get you off the Chrome black list.

We're also looking at other solutions that we can control on our end. If you have up to date drivers but still can not play due to this error, there is a really good chance you will be totally fine on the Steam build. In the short term, we're still doing further testing and improving the descriptions inside the errors when possible along with looking for a solid work around.

Troubleshooting

Click here for more information on compatible cards.

Edited by Corey
Updated information.

misfitkat    10

I am unsure if mine is the same issue, how ever I went from getting that error message to just getting a load page that goes no where. I have let it sit over 10 minutes to see if anything changes and also have reloaded Chrome to see if that would work. I should note that it has previously worked on my computer and only as of yesterday has it stopped working. Thank you and the game is quite fun, I love the art work for it.

Corey    181

Thanks for the info Misfitkat. We just pushed some new debug info today to try and track some of these issues down.Can you try the following...Try to load the game and let it run for a good 5-10 min again.If it hasn't loaded, press "F12" in Chrome to pop up the debug window. Click the "Console" tab at the top.There will be a huge blurb of text in there. Can you send that to me in a private message (just because it's so long, I don't want to clutter the thread.).Thanks!

Hi Corey, just about to send you a log from my console tab, and I have some interesting news! The undefined module load error is gone!...And in it's place, I know have a 'Error: Module Crashed: NaCl module crashed' error!...Hooray? X3- ZeroUpdate: Little bit of a problem, I can't post the log in it's entirety. What do I do?

Edited by Zero_Starlight

Alia    24

And in it's place, I know have a 'Error: Module Crashed: NaCl module crashed' error!

Yup, its advanced! Unfortunately its the same error, but with better error reporting. Small steps.This means that some of the errors will be split into:Module load (these ones are particularly nasty - we don't control many of the causes)If you get these one you _may_ be able to fix it by closing down any other programs to make space in memory, clearing your cache and refreshing: NaCl module load failed: Insufficient memory to load file NaCl module load failed: ServiceRuntime: command channel creation failed NaCl module load failed: ServiceRuntime: failed to startIf you this one you _may_ be able to fix it by clearing your cache, temporary files, making sure you have hard disk space and refreshing: NaCl module load failed: Cannot read fileIf you get these one you _may_ be able to fix it by clearing your cache and refreshing: NaCl module load failed: Validation failure. File violates Native Client safety rules. NaCl module load failed: could not load nexe url. NaCl module load failed: Nexe crashed during startupIt is unlikely we can fix these, try a different OS: NaCl module load failed: Operating system platform is not supported NaCl module load failed: Too many program header entries in ELF fileNaCl CRASHED (This is more under our control, but still rather horrid)NaCl CRASHED: Last error: NaCl module crashed while @XXXXXXXWhere XXXXXXX is some location in the game Edited by Alia
Added more detail

Corey    181

Anyway us Mac users can help?

Not at the moment. But we'll update here if we find one!

flapjack    10

I get this issue in Ubuntu Linux, my windows partition has worked without fail. I have also run it in a windows 7 VM, using virtual box and maxed out on graphics settings. For the windows 7 VM; i got the undefined error every time, haven't tested yet with the latest build of dont starve...Here's my console traceback, it happens at the end of loading static.zip:This is on chrome stable 64bit on Ubuntu 12.04 (dont starve 66641)[11:28.31.24730]: NetworkFileSystem: OnURLOpened URL=http://dontstarve-release.appspot.com/grab_file/r66641/static.zip?d4564e0ce45871d0784a89bd6bec1397, File=grab_file/r66641/static.zip?d4564e0ce45871d0784a89bd6bec1397, Size=19808157.[plain] util.js:11[11:28.31.411530]: NetworkFileSystem: Reading complete. File=grab_file/r66641/static.zip?d4564e0ce45871d0784a89bd6bec1397... util.js:11[11:28.31.494340]: VersionSync::CompareThread::Main() Copying manifest util.js:11[11:28.32.113770]: VersionSync::CompareThread::Main() finished. util.js:11NativeClient: NaCl module crashed[11:28.33.75900]: DontStarve::FileManifestUpdate mVersionSync.Succeeded() util.js:11[11:28.33.76360]: DontStarve::FileManifestUpdate unmounted server util.js:11[11:28.33.76660]: DontStarve::FileManifestUpdate new files have downloaded... go back to what you were doing. .. util.js:11Status: NaCl CRASHED: Last error: NaCl module crashed while @Web:Downloading util.js:11NaCl CRASHED: Last error: NaCl module crashed while @Web:Downloading

Alright, let's see if I can't help speed things along a bit...Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz (2 CPUs)Memory: 1022MB RAMCrash Pop-up (Copy Pasted directly from Pop-up): Error: Module Crashed: NaCl module crashedHope this helps!- Zero

Hey, I have a Macbook Pro, just bought the beta and thought I could share some info. I can only play the game when I open it for the first time. After my first play I have to clear my browsing history otherwise I get this Error, while it loads executables.

Error: Module load error: NaCl module load failed: Validation failure. File violates Native Client safety rules.

SO IT WORKS IF I CLEAR OUT MY BROWSER'S HISTORY

Allright! This seems to have been fixed.

It is back, sadly.

Edited by RegularJohnny
Update

Silent    10

Hi ho, folks.Just tried downloading the program and things were unzipping merrily until I reached static.zip. Then I received the following message:Error: Module Crashed: NaCl module crashedI've tried cleaning my cache out and that doesn't seem to have any effect. I also thought that paying for the game might have an effect but then found out that I can't purchase anything without starting the game. So, here I am and here are a few vital statistics about my system: Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002)Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHzMemory: 1982 RAMHope this helps and I look forward to playing.

I'm using Ubuntu as well. When I run Chrome in a terminal I get this output when Don't Starve attempts to load/run static.zip[sRPC:HOST:34,2989426816:11:33:31.947333] NaClSrpcRpcWait(channel=0xb8b9ed08): EOF is received instead of response. Probably, the other side (usually, nacl module or browser plugin) crashed.It sounds like a WebGL issue with Linux. This may be out of the devs' hands.

UPDATE: I just tried running google-chrome --ignore-gpu-blacklist. The game loads and runs with one exception: 2 FPS! Methinks this is a hardware issue rather than a software issue.

flapjack    10

I agree with greenandblackca on the hardware issue. I use Ubuntu (dualboot with windows for games, etc) and unfortunately have a optimus graphics card, which is notoriously bad in linux... It also makes sense because sense since a windows VM i was trying wouldn't work either...I'll try install the bumbleebee project, which aims to get optimus working on Linux, and see if that helps.

Kevin    504

Has anyone with the problem tried the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag on windows yet?

jotson    10

I had this error but with 66800 I can play again, with some shenanigans. Here's what happens:

1. Close all Chrome windows.

2. Start Chrome.

3. Click Don't Starve icon to launch game.

4. Game does not launch. Error: "Error: Error :WEBGL initialisation failed see http://get.webgl.org and http://get.webgl.org/troubleshooting for more info."

5. Go to chrome://gpu

6. Try to launch Don't Starve again. This time it works!

This happens every time with 66800 (so far, for me). The game continues to work until I close all Chrome windows then I have to go through the steps again. Bit of a bother but at least I can play now.

Ubuntu 12.04

Intel Core i5-2500K

Intel Sandybridge graphics

flapjack    10

Ok so i got rid of the Errors NaCL/Undefined, but i'm left with moving black rectangles... which is probably a separate issue.

My fix is specifically for those on Ubuntu with an Optimus graphics card.

1) Install Bumblebee

Watch out! This is still in active development, but they've come along way, and it should work with most setups.

2) logout - login

3) run "google-chrome --ignore-gpu-blacklist"

If you want to add this to your shortcuts. (use locate to find 'google-chrome.desktop' and edit it adding the --ignore... to the 'Exec=' line)

4) goto chrome://gpu

All of these settings should be now "Hardware accelerated"

5) Try run Dont Starve

You should now not get the Errors at least... but may get black rectangles.

On the plus side your laptop should now have better power management, and your browser should be faster!

If you still getting an issue, send me a PM.

vadjok88    14

That's what I am getting:

Error: Module Crashed: NaCl module crashed

Appears when loading static.zip

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU " 1.80GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 3070MB RAM

:rolleyes:

vadjok88    14

Today I am getting:

Error: Failed to initialize OpenGL. It's possible that your graphics card drivers are out of date and updating them may fix this issue.

It appears while "Loading Executable"

:rolleyes:

Kevin    504

vadjo88 - what kind of graphics card do you have, and what version of the driver. You appear to be on the Chrome GPU blacklist. You may be able to update your graphics card driver to get off the list, although it's going to depend upon what hardware you have.

Corey    181

I updated my original post in this thread with new information:

UPDATE: Sept/28/2012

​We have discovered what we think is the core reason this error happens, it is related to hardware combinations (graphics related) that are not supported by Google Chrome's Native Client.

Google maintains a list of video card/OS/driver combinations that are prevented from running OpenGL inside of Native Client. When one of these combinations is detected Chrome itself can fall back to software rasterizing, but we become unable to create a GL context and so the game is unable to run.

According to Google, the most common reason for a blacklist entry is out of date drivers and is particularly common on Windows XP machines. So, if the game reports a GL error message we highly recommend that you try updating your video card drivers because that just might get you off the Chrome black list.

We're also looking at other solutions that we can control on our end. If you have up to date drivers but still can not play due to this error, there is a really good chance you will be totally fine on the Steam build. In the short term, we're still doing further testing and improving the descriptions inside the errors when possible along with looking for a solid work around.

Also, we have some trouble shooting information:

Click here for more information on compatible cards.

Sign in to follow this