So there's this thing that happened with my friends and I.

It's called we get separated and only the OP can see where everyone is so half the time we're always lost.

We have no way of communicating where exactly we are.

Especially since one of the people rotates the screen constantly.

So there was an idea that spawned between us.

What if it was possible to have an item that could make a sound that would ring throughout the whole world?

Something like a large bugle horn or whatever.

How it would work would be, you use the item, the character makes a loud sound that travels through the whole world. So everyone will technically hear it. It will show something like sound waves or the like from the direction it's coming from and maybe have a little notice to tell you who used it. So if this was a co-op server or a server where there was separate spawning, etc.

There was an idea of maybe using a beefalo horn in the recipe, but that's currently unknown.

We were almost tempted to call it the Danger Horn...hahaha no.

A simple idea to maybe help locations and detections.

I know chat is global. That doesn't help you find someone who has run a far enough distance from you.

I have a skype call going and it can still be hard to meet up with someone again.

If you can't find each other by describing where you are, even with a skype call, I see no way the Bell item you suggested could help.

If you can't find each other by describing where you are, even with a skype call, I see no way the Bell item you suggested could help.

It wasn't a bell.

More of a horn. Think like one of these.

I had described how it would help.

Describing where you are on a decently sized map is quite difficult honestly.

Global chat, skype chat, if you haven't been to a location or you can't describe the location because there are five others like them, it would be nice to have another manner of finding someone.

I had described how using this would cause the whole current server world to hear you.

After the horn is sounded it would give a notification as to who had used it, and a graphical cue on screen as to where the sound was from.

Honestly a large help, especially for people who turn their screen constantly, like our host.

A help for anyone else if they're trying to meet up with someone else in newly discovered land.

Not everything can be described for everyone to understand. DST shows this and brings forth ideas of how things could work in simple manners to help everyone out.

Sounds familiar to an idea I had (before even playing DST :p ), only it was a chat function and not an item you could use. Pretty much would give you the option to yell, so an indicator appears on the screen as to where the yell came from. I think an item would be better than a chat function with a cooldown, so +1 for the idea n all that :)

Sounds familiar to an idea I had (before even playing DST :razz: ), only it was a chat function and not an item you could use. Pretty much would give you the option to yell, so an indicator appears on the screen as to where the yell came from. I think an item would be better than a chat function with a cooldown, so +1 for the idea n all that :-)

Thanks!

I like that idea too though. The only thing is, when you have the character talk, others can usually hear you if they're close enough. Not to mention yelling can only reach so far in a world full of noisy animals, trees and death.

I can mainly see the item being useful for people who've been separated by long distance. But in a general sense, just giving locations for others to blindly run towards.

If it was possible to have the graphical cues stay for a while to give direction, or a mark that showed a general area, then that could also help. But something that could just help players say, "MARCO!" even if you can't reply with your "polo"

Something like this? 

tumblr_nd1bbrtQSp1r4q7yco1_1280.jpg

Yes!!

Something in a form to that precisely!

And it would stay on screen for a while but slowly fade out with time, similar to how koalephant tracks work now. Hopefully a tad less invasive on the screen but yeah.

So with that, it would be telling you that whoever blew the horn is to the left of your location.

So running in that direction, when you are close enough to the source the cues would leave the screen and there would be your friend, hopefully.

Call me stupid (anybody does and they get my laser eyes) but why can't we make a variant of the Divining Rod, but in a DST people locating fashion?

It can be made to perhaps only find friendlies if worried about PvP abuse. 

I think that could possibly be just a tad too complex.

How would you decipher who the "friendlies" are apart from anyone else who might just kill you?

A list mechanic on top of the mechanic to locate these people anywhere in the world?

It might just be a tad overkill. A really interesting concept but I think it might just be going a tad overboard.

I'm not entirely sure how exactly it would work either, if it's just going to have something where it's showing icons on your map while out, or it just does the radio noise thing to the closest player.

It is an interesting thought but I'm not sure.

Maybe if you were to elaborate.

it can be made in pairs... so when u craft it u get 2/4 and give the others to your friends.. can add player name before like.. "soul's horn 1".. only those who have the same pair can hear/view it's help..

I really like the idea of a horn. It'd be great if you could see those wave-thingies on-screen as well. The sound should be loud when you're close, and softer when you're far away, but should be still noticeable when a player is super far. No problem there though, as horn sounds travel a looong way.

The horn is nice, because it gives an indication to where someone is, but quite vaguely, just like real horn sound or a yell would. Or Koalefant tracks.

Archived