What Was Your First Death?

I used to delete a lot of saves before I had the chance to die, because I realized I'd screwed myself over when it comes to item management. The first legitimate death was with Willow. I'd managed to get through my first Winter, and it was TOUGH because I didn't think to prepare beforehand. Lotta hunting, lotta near-freezing; it was actually one of the most satisfying games I've had now that I think about it. Anyways, I was on the last day of Winter, I'd done the math and the ground under the snow was starting to become visible again, when I wandered into a swarm of Pengulls and just started pushing them around. It was fun seeing them go all bumper-cars. It took maybe half a minute for them to get fed up with it and attack me, and about half a second for me to die.

I used to delete a lot of saves before I had the chance to die, because I realized I'd screwed myself over when it comes to item management. The first legitimate death was with Willow. I'd managed to get through my first Winter, and it was TOUGH because I didn't think to prepare beforehand. Lotta hunting, lotta near-freezing; it was actually one of the most satisfying games I've had now that I think about it. Anyways, I was on the last day of Winter, I'd done the math and the ground under the snow was starting to become visible again, when I wandered into a swarm of Pengulls and just started pushing them around. It was fun seeing them go all bumper-cars. It took maybe half a minute for them to get fed up with it and attack me, and about half a second for me to die.

i think you forgot the first or that you're lying! How could you get enough xp to unlock willow without dying...Especially if you were doing your first winter...

i think you forgot the first or that you're lying! How could you get enough xp to unlock willow without dying...Especially if you were doing your first winter...

Well you can get experience by going through the Teleportato, which can be done before the first Winter if you're diligent.. but that's very unlikely if you're new to the game. I suppose you're right, my example can't be the first time I died. It's the first one I remember, though.

Well you can get experience by going through the Teleportato, which can be done before the first Winter if you're diligent.. but that's very unlikely if you're new to the game. I suppose you're right, my example can't be the first time I died. It's the first one I remember, though.

Sorry, i was a little aggressive, this post is supposed to be funny, pas l'Inquisition!

It appears that I'm the only one who died by lighting herself on fire

Oh, I have died this way too.  I started a campfire in a heavily wooded area, which set the nearby trees on fire, then the whole forest went up.  I had run Wilson towards the top of my screen to escape the flames, then hit the ocean with no where to go. 

Just wasn't my first death.  Probably around number 8 or 9.

Oh, I have died this way too. I started a campfire in a heavily wooded area, which set the nearby trees on fire, then the whole forest went up. I had run Wilson towards the top of my screen to escape the flames, then hit the ocean with no where to go.

Just wasn't my first death. Probably around number 8 or 9.

Yes, but you died by lighting the forest on fire, not yourself.

Ok, I guess. So it is possible to actually light yourself on fire then, not just burn to death from being too close to a burning world object?

Well, actually, I lit an item in my inventory in fire. So i guess it was death by burning world object. But it's as close to lighting yourself on fire as you can get in the game.

Oh jeez this is going back a long time now.

I want to say my first death was by Tallbirds because they would just chase me across the map...That or by Beefalo because I was stupid way back then.

Back in the days when I wouldn't starve because I could just run between the space of a rabbit and it's hole and kill it in one shot.

Yeah, pretty sure it was a Beefalo cuz I fricked up one day while harvesting stuff.

If I remember correctly, my first playthrough lasted 20-something days, thanks to a close friend of mine helping me through it. However, thanks to the fact I was ill-prepared and stupid, I died to the hounds that appeared every so often. If I remember correctly, it was right outside the camp I made at the time. 

Basically I first died to bees in my first winter. After stocked up seeds weren't that efficient as a 15 days long food source a treeguard (which I defeated *yay*) drained my sanity so my last hope turned into beardlings.

I thought: "What would a starving animal in the middle of the winter do?" Of course, hunt for honey. I thought bees couldn't spawn from wild beehives but apparently they could.

The first time I played Don't Starve I was walking around a forest when all of a sudden I found a strange staff, little did I know the trouble it would cause. I found myself surrounded on all sides by a raging forest fire, I didn't know what to do so I ran through the forest until I myself was set alight by the flames.  

I died starving. Like a wild monster, I had picked all my food, and murdered anything that came near my stash. Then it all rotted. Feral with hunger and rage I ran the world trying, desperately, to find any morsel my gluttony had left unchecked.

Alas, there was none. 

The end!

Second death was Abigail trolling me and pathing oddly while I was at critically low health.

Day 1, dusk. I figured darkness is not appealing to Wilson so I made him a fire. Near a tree. Soon the forest was on fire. This fire looks beautifu-ah my health is rapid- dead. I facepalmed so hard I left a mark. The beauty of trees on fire gotten me distracted a bit too much...

Archived