Carrier Gobblers!

Gobbler Postal Service! Crap. That spells GPS.  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have server wide chat, or carrier gobblers, paid in berries? Please don't consider Skype or anything like that in your answer.

• Gobblers. The server wide chat ruins immersion, and GOBBLE OBBLE OBBLE! (The Gobbler Noise)
    • Server Wide chat. It's not a big deal immersion-wise, and I only send turkey-scented letters on holidays.

I'd rather see gobblers as actual couriers. Let me explain:

1. Give the dumb bird a share of your fresh berries. It neither deserves nor needs any of them, though it's ok to make an exception for this once.
  2. Tie a backpack to its shoulders. The lazy wimp doesn't flap those clumsy wings anyway.
  3. Ask (or yell) your friend to put roasted berries on the ground. It's a waste, I know, but it'll be worth it, I promise.
  4. Now every fat son of a gobblig dodo, no matter where it is, will target the roasted berries. Assuming they're not hiding in a bush like the petty coward they are.
  5. Eventually, the right bugger will show up, and you can bash its head flat while it eats the hopefully-not-spoiled berries, and finally retrieve the shipment. Or you could waste even more bloody berries to befriend it temporarily, so you can civilly untie the backpack and be a total disgrace to the human race. What a shame. I expected more from you.

Regardless, if I will ever have time and patience to mod in lua, this is on top of the list.

1. Give the dumb bird a share of your fresh berries. It neither deserves nor needs any of them, though it's ok to make an exception for this once.
  2. Tie a backpack to its shoulders. The lazy wimp doesn't flap those clumsy wings anyway.
  3. Ask (or yell) your friend to put roasted berries on the ground. It's a waste, I know, but it'll be worth it, I promise.
  4. Now every fat son of a gobblig dodo, no matter where it is, will target the roasted berries. Assuming they're not hiding in a bush like the petty coward they are.
  5. Eventually, the right bugger will show up, and you can bash its head flat while it eats the hopefully-not-spoiled berries, and finally retrieve the shipment. Or you could waste even more bloody berries to befriend it temporarily, so you can civilly untie the backpack and be a total disgrace to the human race. What a shame. I expected more from you.

Regardless, if I will ever have time and patience to mod in lua, this is on top of the list.

yeah, I'll give you 10 gold nuggets if you somehow can show me how to do step 2 on a gobbler without Photoshop. 

yeah, I'll give you 10 gold nuggets if you somehow can show me how to do step 2 on a gobbler without Photoshop. 

Look at my profile picture. Look closely. That's right.

I ain't the kind of guy who wastes a perfectly good chance to use his good old PS6 friend.

All things considered, I accept your challenge. Gimp will have to do.

UPDATE: already pretty much done.

Ii195FF.png

(Anyway, I know what you meant, but no, I'm not gonna bother to animate a swap_backpack on the perd.

Not a chance.)

Look at my profile picture. Look closely. That's right.

I ain't the kind of guy who wastes a perfectly good chance to use his good old PS6 friend.

All things considered, I accept your challenge. Gimp will have to do.

UPDATE: already pretty much done.

Ii195FF.png

(Anyway, I know what you meant, but no, I'm not gonna bother to animate a swap_backpack on the perd.

Not a chance.)

Nice! I love everything you just said, except for a couple bits. If every gobbley little son of a fish in the world goes to the roasted berries, you could conduct a great perd-jury (badum tiss!) on those turkey jerks, and get tons of food easily, which would be a bit OP. Also, to tell your friend to put down a berry, you would need to have talked to him/her prior to sending the gobbler, which would defeat the purpose of this, communication-wise. I think you should just be able to somehow address it to another player. Or, for the sake of realism, put a berry attached to a string on its head, and point it in the direction of the recipient. I hope that somebody from Klei stumbles upon this post, but if you do end up making a mod of this, would you please do me the honor of putting a little mailman's hat on the gobbler? One of those somewhat flat blue hats with the short brim sticking out? I think that would look cool.

Nice! I love everything you just said, except for a couple bits. If every gobbley little son of a fish in the world goes to the roasted berries, you could conduct a great perd-jury (badum tiss!) on those turkey jerks, and get tons of food easily, which would be a bit OP. Also, to tell your friend to put down a berry, you would need to have talked to him/her prior to sending the gobbler, which would defeat the purpose of this, communication-wise. I think you should just be able to somehow address it to another player. Or, for the sake of realism, put a berry attached to a string on its head, and point it in the direction of the recipient. I hope that somebody from Klei stumbles upon this post, but if you do end up making a mod of this, would you please do me the honor of putting a little mailman's hat on the gobbler? One of those somewhat flat blue hats with the short brim sticking out? I think that would look cool.

Well, communication-wise, there's no purpose to defeat. You're just carrying stuff over (maybe you're collecting trapped bunnies and you send them to base to be stored, maybe you went grave hunting, things like that), not sending postcards. I see no problem with that.

The carrot berry-on-a-stick idea is too impractical (if you got to hope the direction is the right one) or immersion-breaking (if you really have to choose who to send the perd to). This said, I see how OP my previous idea would be (although there can't be that many gobblers roaming around, since they retreat at dusk).

What about putting some berries or a red cap on a drying rack (that way it's not something you can immediately do and you're also using an otherwise very useful structure) so that every obese son of a dodo with a backpack wants to come and say hi? It makes kind of sense, since the bugger was technically befriended and thus it's not intimidated by the artificial rack. Also, this could kind of work in SP as well, assuming you don't leave the berries there for so long that they actually become seeds or you don't let the mushroom turn into petals. Uhm yeah, that's a thing. I suppose.

EDIT: I forgot the hat part.

Well, dear sir/madam/citizen (Fallen London reference here) I won't deny it, it would be cool. Yet terribly time-consuming. If you really want to, and if you want to further encourage me to take on the mod, add to every gobbler head below a little mailman hat. Be careful to respect the artstyle, the head's orientation and don't make it larger than the hypothetical rectangle that defines the head's dimensions. I also suggest you do it with an image editor that uses layers, like GIMP of Photoshop. Good luck  :victorious:

uMngDJS.png

I hate to be that guy, because I liked the bit about the hat and agree about it being OP.

But I gotta, you probably meant 'perd-ge' as in purge, not 'perd-jury,' as in perjury

Well, communication-wise, there's no purpose to defeat. You're just carrying stuff over (maybe you're collecting trapped bunnies and you send them to base to be stored, maybe you went grave hunting, things like that), not sending postcards. I see no problem with that.

The carrot berry-on-a-stick idea is too impractical (if you got to hope the direction is the right one) or immersion-breaking (if you really have to choose who to send the perd to). This said, I see how OP my previous idea would be (although there can't be that many gobblers roaming around, since they retreat at dusk).

What about putting some berries or a red cap on a drying rack (that way it's not something you can immediately do and you're also using an otherwise very useful structure) so that every obese son of a dodo with a backpack wants to come and say hi? It makes kind of sense, since the bugger was technically befriended and thus it's not intimidated by the artificial rack. Also, this could kind of work in SP as well, assuming you don't leave the berries there for so long that they actually become seeds or you don't let the mushroom turn into petals. Uhm yeah, that's a thing. I suppose.

Well, dear sir/madam/citizen (Fallen London reference here) I won't deny it, it would be cool. Yet terribly time-consuming. If you really want to, and if you want to further encourage me to take on the mod, add to every gobbler head below a little mailman hat. Be careful to respect the artstyle, the head's orientation and don't make it larger than the hypothetical rectangle that defines the head's dimensions. I also suggest you do it with an image editor that uses layers, like GIMP of Photoshop. Good luck  :victorious:

uMngDJS.png

So, can we see a full model?

uMngDJS.png

I'm going to try. I'm going to warn you though, my artistic ability is about nil. Also, what are those red straw hats?

I'm going to try. I'm going to warn you though, my artistic ability is about nil. Also, what are those red straw hats?

Pick royalty-free images on the web, posterize them and add black borders everywhere.

Those are for scale. That, or Kevin has a hat fetish - which would neither surprise nor disappoint me.

So, can we see a full model?

Your wish is my command. Just don't get used to it.

(I suppose you just have to rip off a feather in order to fit the backpack. That way it gets what it deserves and you can also recognize it more easily. For the same purpose, I also slightly changed the color pattern of the big back feathers.)

BXzoY2h.png

47FyiaJ.png

Nirvo8q.png

Pick royalty-free images on the web, posterize them and add black borders everywhere.

Those are for scale. That, or Kevin has a hat fetish - which would neither surprise nor disappoint me.

Your wish is my command. Just don't get used to it.

(I suppose you just have to rip off a feather in order to fit the backpack. That way it gets what it deserves and you can also recognize it more easily. For the same purpose, I also slightly changed the color pattern of the big back feathers.)

What's the inventory mod? I like it.

Kipho's RPG HUD 20

There are other versions, but I find the others way too overpowered and not very fitting.

Yeah I saw one with like 30 inventory slots or something.

- 20 slots inventory.

- 5 equippable slots (hand, head, neck, body and backpack) well integrated with the inventory. So now you can equip a weapon, a hat, an amulet, an armor and a backpack all at the same time.

- The total backpack slots have been increased as follow : backpack=12 (3x4), piggyback=18 (3x6), Krampus sack=21 (3x7). The insulateed pack is unchanged. (I chose those layouts with part of the containers' background hidden on purpose : works better on low resolutions)

- The backpacks are storable and the piggyback won't slow you anymore.

- The containers slots have been increased to 16 with a layout of 4x4 except for Chester.

- Added background slot colors to the containers (chest, chester, icebox) and the crock pot.

- Added keyboard shortcuts : the R button shows/hides the crafting tab and the B button opens/closes the backpack.

-You can zoom out your view without the game pushing it back to default but the FOV is not altered by this mod. However, if you still want a wider view, you can check out Wide FOV.

- The minimap icon, the pause and rotate buttons in the bottom right corner of the screen have been removed. You still can access the map and rotate the view with the keyboard.

- Did a minor cosmetic change to the crafting bar so it no longer has half tabs near the arrows.

- The equippable slots have custom assets.

This doesn't feel super broken?

Yeah I saw one with like 30 inventory slots or something.

- 20 slots inventory.

- 5 equippable slots (hand, head, neck, body and backpack) well integrated with the inventory. So now you can equip a weapon, a hat, an amulet, an armor and a backpack all at the same time.

- The total backpack slots have been increased as follow : backpack=12 (3x4), piggyback=18 (3x6), Krampus sack=21 (3x7). The insulateed pack is unchanged. (I chose those layouts with part of the containers' background hidden on purpose : works better on low resolutions)

- The backpacks are storable and the piggyback won't slow you anymore.

- The containers slots have been increased to 16 with a layout of 4x4 except for Chester.

- Added background slot colors to the containers (chest, chester, icebox) and the crock pot.

- Added keyboard shortcuts : the R button shows/hides the crafting tab and the B button opens/closes the backpack.

-You can zoom out your view without the game pushing it back to default but the FOV is not altered by this mod. However, if you still want a wider view, you can check out Wide FOV.

- The minimap icon, the pause and rotate buttons in the bottom right corner of the screen have been removed. You still can access the map and rotate the view with the keyboard.

- Did a minor cosmetic change to the crafting bar so it no longer has half tabs near the arrows.

- The equippable slots have custom assets.

This doesn't feel super broken?

I don't mind it. It purely depends what your style of play is. I like having everything in one place: I find excessive fiddling with chests a waste of time. Also, I never upgrade my backpack and I often find myself with plenty of free room, so I don't think I'm really breaking the game balance after all. 

Archived