Five Night's At Freddy's 2: Grand Reopening

F3RR1S

Needlessly long review thing -

Along with some other people here, I thought the first FNAF was really overrated.  I mean, the animatronics look clunky and nonthreatening, the sound design is pretty basic, and the jumpscares become predictable after a while.  That said, from what I've seen of the sequel I think that they've really done a fantastic job. 

First off, the new animatronics look really, really creepy.  Rather than just looking fake and stupid, they fall perfectly into the Uncanny Valley - they look really close to human, but just are fake enough to be unsettling.  New Foxy?  NO.  That thing is just disturbing looking, what with its torn apart face and skeletal metal body.  Meanwhile, the old torn-up animatronics are also a lot creepier; I don't know if it's the better textures and modeling, or how they're so decayed it's unlikely that it's the programing controlling them, but they still unsettle me. 

However, the thing that really makes this game good is the ambiance and sound design.  From the creepy childish laughter, to the sounds of things in the vents (Aliens Isolation much?) to the animatronics actually talking to you (that one seriously freaked me out) and, of course, the music box keeping the absolutely satanic Marionette in place, it blows away that of the original FNAF.

Still, though, it faces the same issues the first one did.  The gameplay gets a bit repetitive after a while, you're still stuck in place, and the cheap jumpscares are all still there; in fact, you can even see them coming because the game practically screams at you "JUMPSCARE COMING!  JUMPSCARE COMING!" with the sirens.  Because of that, I give FNAF a 7/10 - great horror game, but not the best gameplay or replay value.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Has much more to do with FNAF 1 than the second, but it's very interesting.

When I saw that video I literally had to pull the covers over my face before I went to sleep that night. You know, so they couldn't see my face.

No, I'm not a wuss!

One thing my brother just figured out: The phone guy says that the new animatronics are hooked into the criminal data base, so they can see a predator from a mile away. This fits into MatPat's theory, as they try to kill you if they can see your face. This doesn't explain, however, how Foxy and The Marionette aren't fooled by the mask.

Also, my thoughts on the game:

WHY DOES CHICA HAVE TEETH!?!?! CHICKENS DON'T HAVE TEETH, BUT CHICA HAS FREACKIN' TEETH!!! STALP IT!!!

One thing my brother just figured out: The phone guy says that the new animatronics are hooked into the criminal data base, so they can see a predator from a mile away. This fits into MatPat's theory, as they try to kill you if they can see your face. This doesn't explain, however, how Foxy and The Marionette aren't fooled by the mask.

I'm going to be 100% honest here - I think Game Theory's theory is wrong.

*dodges rain of bullets*

I mean, there's two conflicting stories here.  Matpat thinks it's a nightmare; but the developers say that something supernatural is going on.  The theory I support goes like this.  As everyone knows, an employee of the first Freddy Fazbear's pizza lured children into the back room and killed them, after which he stuffed them into the costumes.  According to evidence hidden throughout the game (The sound the animatronics make when killing you is a child's scream, for instance), the suits are haunted by their entrapped souls.  FNAF 2, just by the demo footage I can tell that's what they're going for. 

In the part where you're trapped in the Freddy suit, looking at the other animatronics, you can hear children screaming and shouting in the background.  I'm not sure if this is during the day and it's the audience cheering, but the screams also have an ethereal sound to them.  Almost ghostly.  Also, during the strange minigame/easter egg where you control Freddy chasing the marionette, he repeats these letters over and over:  F-R-E-E-M-E.  Spelling out "Free Me".  The sound when the animatronics kill you is FREEDOM slowed down. 

I'm going to be 100% honest here - I think Game Theory's theory is wrong.

I believe it's wrong simply because he's giving too much credit to the dev. For his theory to work, the dev would have had to look up that one story and then applied the game including the mechanics to it so it fits. I don't believe that the dev did that.

I believe that MatPat is simply doing some good old texan sharpshooting here. He's researching about it and stops only until he finds something that applies to the game, says that it fits together perfectly, which it does out of pure coincidence, and there you have your "proof".

I've seen MatPat do that a LOT of times now. Like his theory about Nintendo's female's boobs and that they're fake. Well yeah sure they don't bounce, back then they didn't have that technology. And who cares about some proportions. 

He's great when it comes to logical things, like that Leap of Faith episode, where it's 90% calculations. But something that needs to take artistic freedoms into account, he fails at that.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned most YouTubers getting the full version early

That's the case for almost all games that get released. Great advertising for your game, especially if you hand the game to internet celebrities (provided they actually like the game!). Markiplier plays DST aswell, whilst afaik he did jack on the forums. But hey, free advertisement and all that.

At least FNAF 2 is already labelled SCARIEST GAME EVER MADE!!!1one

Markiplier plays DST aswell, whilst afaik he did jack on the forums. But hey, free advertisement and all that.

Of course, he didn't even know about the beta until about three weeks after closed beta launch.

Don't act like everyone getting a key is active at the forums.

Of course, he didn't even know about the beta until about three weeks after closed beta launch.

Don't act like everyone getting a key is active at the forums.

Let me rephrase: He most likely just wanted the DST key to play the game and gotten some from Klei or a fan because it's Markiplier we're talking about. But yeah, that bit of my post  (or perhaps the entire post) was poorly typed, thought out and overall sh*tty. It happens.  :fatigue:

Alas, back to FNAF2.

Archived