Please no Cannibalism

You guys do need to remember that everyone has different tolerance levels as well. Sure as seen here, most people can take this sort of thing but the OP can't. Kudos to them for expressing their concern, though I don't know if they'll take it out because one player asked them to, but maybe it'll be brought to their attention that some people are sensitive to the very idea of cannibalism and that the toggle is something that might be needed. 

I realize you're not responsible for your visceral reaction, but to outspokenly object to a fictional depiction of cannibalism while being completely unbothered by murder, tortured imprisonment, and whatever terrible transformations befell Charlie and the Ancient Guardian--not to mention horrible deaths by dint of starvation, exposure, and immolation--seems odd to me. Just thinking about burning to death or being strapped to a chair indefinitely gives me the willies but I wouldn't have the temerity to ask that these things be removed from the game. None of it is being glorified, which is more than can be said for many popular game titles.

I'm not saying you shouldn't speak up when you find something objectionable, but I do think you should consider why you find this aspect particularly shocking in the context of other terrible, terrible things, and also take into account the presentation before raising the issue. As it is, it's hard for me to take your complaint seriously (not that I have any influence in the matter).

I could understand the notion of human cannibalism making you sick, but, excuse me, how do even play this game if even the act of animal cannibalism (which is almost inevitable, unless you throw yourself into the midst of pigs/spiders battle and pick up any dropped meat) grosses you out?

I don't actually play the game much anymore, and when I see that sort of stuff I guess I just go and do something else, but its been so long I'm actually not sure.

It's a game.

It's fiction.

If you are not eating human flesh in real life, then what's the problem?

I am all in a toggle option for cannibalism.

It's still something I wouldn't like to see, its a problem because its still disturbing and mechanically useless (as of last I saw it)

There's a reason movies and TV shows have those ratings, so that people can avoid subjects like blood and gore. Even if it is fiction, it can still be a problem

Toggle again ive answered before

I realize you're not responsible for your visceral reaction, but to outspokenly object to a fictional depiction of cannibalism while being completely unbothered by murder, tortured imprisonment, and whatever terrible transformations befell Charlie and the Ancient Guardian--not to mention horrible deaths by dint of starvation, exposure, and immolation--seems odd to me. Just thinking about burning to death or being strapped to a chair indefinitely gives me the willies but I wouldn't have the temerity to ask that these things be removed from the game. None of it is being glorified, which is more than can be said for many popular game titles.

I'm not saying you shouldn't speak up when you find something objectionable, but I do think you should consider why you find this aspect particularly shocking in the context of other terrible, terrible things, and also take into account the presentation before raising the issue. As it is, it's hard for me to take your complaint seriously (not that I have any influence in the matter).

Maxwell talks about suicide in the game, and as someone who's suffered with suicidal thoughts before it hit me extremely hard. Its not like I don't have other problems with the game, and I've spoken about them before.

Also claiming things that we don't know anything about, like Charlie's or the ancient guardian's transformations, as shocking doesn't really prove anything.

I find Maxwell's position in the game very heartbreaking, but he's also doing all of these evil things of his own free will more or less. The entire situation is ambiguous though, and thats why I can more or less just assume the best. Where as with cannibalism it's blatant.

Also why is everyone focusing on my personal physical response? Instead of the mechanic and gameplay problems I brought up?

this is exactly why I PRAY for a toggle option on the cannibalism or at the very least some kind of mod after the full feature comes out to get rid of it

I personally am all for cannibalism and have included it in my own stories of Don't Starve, but anyone who could be triggered by such a thing shouldn't have to suffer through it just because it's a popular feature (and have others tell them that they're overreacting; you can't control what triggers you. chill)

as for it being a useless mechanic/feature, there are plenty of things that could be considered completely useless in many games - not just Don't Starve

that doesn't mean it has to be removed

I suspect it was added in to add atmosphere and immersion since cannibalism does tend to happen to people who become stranded with others with no other food source

OK help me understand the freaky factor here because I don't get it. Would it still weird you out as much if players dropped monster meat? What about if they dropped regular meat like a pig man? What if they dropped monster meat, and you could't tell if it was "their" monster meator if it was monster meat they were carrying in their inventory when they died? I am not being condescending or rude. I am genuinely trying to figure out what part is disturbing.

I guess I just don't understand. It isn't a graphic, detailed representation of heinous acts. I might be a vegetarian, but if I eat a bunny to survive, I don't feel I'll. I don't picture *insert incredibly graphic and nauseating description of killing, gutting and skinning a bunny wabbit* I guess this feels like basically the same thing.

That is because it is an accurate representation of a survival scenario.

It is just words on a screen in a game. It is one image file being instantly swapped with another image file. Help me understand, because I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm in the very back of the bus, chillin' with the sociopathic kids.

There is still a large difference between animals and people, as I and others have said before.

I would still find the mechanic disturbing if players dropped any sort of meat they weren't already carrying before as its still meat from a player. Human flesh.

I also don't know how to explain why I find it disturbing. All I can tell you is that I do.

I'm strongly in favor of moral decisions in games to survive(and cannibalism in general), but I don't think it would work in DS. DS is mainly a "everybody can play" game, and while there are some things that might drive other people away for style of game reasons(like permadeath or.... no multiplayer...?), I think it's just too big of a jump to add something with such a small in-game value while making the game much grosser and unfit for the common public

It's an interesting idea and they shouldn't remove it just because you got emotional over a game. It's dark, surviving game and it'll be a shame if that aspect of human surviving will be removed. I don't say that cannibalism should be ever ok, it's just adding psychological aspect of the surviving - will you ever be that hungry to eat a human being, even if it is already dead?  That's what will make game much darker then before, so yeah, they shouldn't remove it just because few people want it to be gone.

this is exactly why I PRAY for a toggle option on the cannibalism or at the very least some kind of mod after the full feature comes out to get rid of it

I personally am all for cannibalism and have included it in my own stories of Don't Starve, but anyone who could be triggered by such a thing shouldn't have to suffer through it just because it's a popular feature (and have others tell them that they're overreacting; you can't control what triggers you. chill)

as for it being a useless mechanic/feature, there are plenty of things that could be considered completely useless in many games - not just Don't Starve

that doesn't mean it has to be removed

I suspect it was added in to add atmosphere and immersion since cannibalism does tend to happen to people who become stranded with others with no other food source

Just because other games have useless features doesn't mean they're good game design decisions. As far as I can see Don't Stave is extremely balanced to the best it can be, cutting out all the fluff but still giving the player agency. I can't really think of other things in the game that don't already just provide more but is still in line with the balance of everything else.

Except insanity, I would like to see that more fleshed out as it does supposedly play a big part in the game, but doesn't really become a real issue. And I've said my take on this in other threads before.

As for atmosphere I think it doesn't add anything. People have argued the hardcore survival thing before, there's a reason we don't have a thirst meter, or sickness or need to sleep every night. Don't Starve may be survival but it's not hyper-realistic. If cannibalism should be a full feature of DST then why not other graphic and possibly triggering things that come with hardcore survival with other people? Which I don't even want to go into.

You know what I don't know why I'm trying to reply to things that I've already said before, I'd also really like it if people read the entire OP. Not just the part where I said it makes me feel sick.

There are things to discuss here, but saying things that have already been said by others and replied to before, just makes me feel like I'm a broken record trying to reply to the same thing all over again.

There is still a large difference between animals and people, as I and others have said before.

I would still find the mechanic disturbing if players dropped any sort of meat they weren't already carrying before as its still meat from a player. Human flesh.

I also don't know how to explain why I find it disturbing. All I can tell you is that I do.

But you don't find it disturbing to kill sentient pigmen that walk and talk and live in their own communities, using their meat for food and using their skin for various things?

Not nearly as much as I'd find doing the same thing with human beings.

but for all we know they could be pig/human hybrids and a form of human cannibalism could have been in the game from the beginning. ;)

As far as the mechanics go, I don't really see how we can argue about the usefulness of it since DST is not even fully finished yet, but as I said earlier, the players dropping meat perfectly fits in with the already established loot drops of the game. You kill a pigman, you get meat, you kill a bunny, you get meat, you kill a tallbird, you get meat, you kill a merm, you get fish, etc etc

No different than killing animals and eating their flesh raw. Plus this game has based itself being a classic,depressing, Tim Burton horror story, it fits in actually nice. Like others said, this is a game, not real life, the characters won't eat your flesh off. I just don't see what's making you sick. If you're really that offended give those keys to some forumers.

No different than killing animals and eating their flesh raw. Plus this game has based itself being a classic,depressing, Tim Burton horror story, it fits in actually nice. Like others said, this is a game, not real life, the characters won't eat your flesh off. I just don't see what's making you sick. If you're really that offended give those keys to some forumers.

I'd rather not completely abandon a game I previously enjoyed because of this. And just as an artist I'm sick of anything with a slightly sketchy style being called "Tim Burton". As a director he's covered a lot of subject matter too, so you could call DS very close but also very far from Tim Burton. It's a piss poor comparison if you go into it.

I also don't know where you got that even, as I think its been spoken about before about how the game has inspirations from HP Lovecraft. Never about Tim Burton, at least from the devs as far as I'm aware.

And ive also addressed the "its fiction" thing before.

It will most likely be an option, but there is no real reason why it shouldn't be in the game.  It fits in the context on how they added it.  People dropping a piece of meat like everything else.  It's not like you will see the characters munching on the dead bodies.  

There are parts of the games theme I don't like too (supremely don't like), but I'm never going tell the dev's to change or get rid of stuff because they should have the right to do add whatever they want to their game.  As long as all the content is consistent.

And just as an artist I'm sick of anything with a slightly sketchy style being called "Tim Burton". As a director he's covered a lot of subject matter too, so you could call DS very close but also very far from Tim Burton. It's a piss poor comparison if you go into it.

I always saw it more as a Henry Selik than Tim burton inspired game personally. Both the stop motion and Burton was too optimistic. 

And just as an artist I'm sick of anything with a slightly sketchy style being called "Tim Burton". As a director he's covered a lot of subject matter too, so you could call DS very close but also very far from Tim Burton. It's a piss poor comparison if you go into it.

I also don't know where you got that even, as I think its been spoken about before about how the game has inspirations from HP Lovecraft. Never about Tim Burton, at least from the devs as far as I'm aware.

I think he may of gotten it from me; I've made mention about it a couple times

"Tim Burton with a pinch of Dr. Seuss."

was what I described the art style of Don't Starve as.

It will most likely be an option, but there is no real reason why it shouldn't be in the game.  It fits in the context on how they added it.  People dropping a piece of meat like everything else.  It's not like you will see the characters munching on the dead bodies.  

There are parts of the games theme I don't like too (supremely don't like), but I'm never going tell the dev's to change or get rid of stuff because they should have the right to do add whatever they want to their game.  As long as all the content is consistent.

Im just saying this now because DST is still in development and Klei is looking for feedback, just like RoG. If these games you're talking about encourage player feedback, DO TELL the devs that you're not enjoying something. Because nothing will happen if you dont speak up, and that's sorta how I view this thread.

Im just saying this now because DST is still in development and Klei is looking for feedback, just like RoG. If these games you're talking about encourage player feedback, DO TELL the devs that you're not enjoying something. Because nothing will happen if you dont speak up, and that's sorta how I view this thread.

I thought they said it would be an option multiple times now, but you still made a thread saying that it shouldn't be there at all.  Feedback is important, but there are limits.  There is a difference between saying they should change the newer respawn mechanic because a good chunk of players think it's bad and saying they should completely get rid of a little mechanic based off of a theme (that does fit).

The themes I don't like are just part of my quirks and I just trained myself to make the game to mean other things to me.  I just don't want them to pander.     

I'm saying that its rude to tell someone that they're overreacting when they're just stating how they feel.  And I didn't say to had to just move it to another thread, again you're misquoting me. I said "there are other ways to put it AND other threads for that." If you'd like to discuss something I brought up here, then by all means. Such as the toggle for instance:

I'm personally not all for "just make it a toggle" because it still feels extremely unnecessary and out of place as I said in the OP. It feels like "make Wes a balloon instead of a ghost" all over again.

And if you think you're going to get a warning because of this, chances are you're doing something to deserve it. I personally won't report your posts just because I don't feel they warrant that much action, but putting "victim" in quotes and all that other stuff, I don't even know what to say about it-- Won't win you any friends.

He's just stating how he feels. We're all just stating how he feels. It's all persepctive.

You stated in the beginning that you appear to be 'mostly in the minority.' If you think that, it doesn't make sense for you to ask for a cannibalism mechanic not to be implemented. Furthermore, you also refuse an option for it to be toggled on or off by asserting that it's a 'useless mechanic.' Don't Starve Together may not be out yet, but based on what Klei has stated, saying the meat item dead players are planned to drop is useless doesn't make sense. By that rationale, one could argue that Monster Meat adds absolutely nothing to the game, when it may actually save starving players who are doing fine on health and sanity. It's logical for Long Pig to have stronger effects since it would be harder to acquire, requiring you to engage in combat with other players.

I would personally really like to see this mechanic in the game. However, I realize that not everyone shares my opinion, but I can also clearly see how this mechanic would be rich and valuable, and thus the only fair way of thinking would be to support a toggle option.

Archived