Early Access Update 3: GRA@ND B@Z@@R - Patch Notes

• Developer

Just wanted to know if you guys will let us know when the overwatch bug is sorted out! Hopped in the game only to be shot repeatedly and had to stop because of that shenanigans. Also could anybody briefly explain how to get codes for the Vault missions? I understand you have to hack a CEO's brain or something like that but where are the CEOs? Many thanks to both the community and the developers!

Thanks for the feedback! 

The overwatch bug is actually several different bugs on our end that pop up occasionally in the form of guards shooting before they're supposed to be shooting. 

The main situation we know is happening this patch is the situation where you melee reaction one guard and then another one walks in and shoots you. This particular version of the bug will be fixed in the next patch (on Tuesday). 

For what it's worth, I can say that I've been playing a lot of the upcoming patch and I haven't experienced any of the overwatch bug yet. Of course, that doesn't mean it's entirely gone as it's only really tested after a thousand people play it at the same time. But here's to hoping it's a lot better! 

On a similar note: 

Can anyone who's experienced the overwatch bug post here and describe the situation that they were in when the bug happened? It would help us to know if there are lots of different situations where this is happening or it's mostly the melee reaction bug. Thank you! 

• Developer

Feel free just to post e'm in this thread, I'm just curious to see if the stuff people are seeing is the stuff that we feel confident we've fixed or things we've never personally encountered before. 

Ok, well I've experienced the following:

(1) Stepped (foolishly) into an unchecked room, and been immediately shot upon detection (overwatch straight to execution). This was by one guard only, and no other guards on the map were alerted or on overwatch at the time. I haven't seen this since the most recent update, but I also haven't actively tried to reproduce it.

(2) The most common, and the one that still occurs regularly enough to be a concern, is when an unrelated action or status change somewhere else on the map causes a guard who has, during that turn, detected and gone into overwatch to shoot the agent in question. This shooting doesn't happen immediately- the other action/status change occurs, and then it comes back to the guard on overwatch, who fires. I note that this occurs less regularly than before the most recent update, but it is still an issue.

(3) This was a weird one, and I wouldn't know how to reproduce it. My last endless run came to an abrupt end because of this:

- (i) Banks was spotted by a guard and a camera drone. Guard went into overwatch.

- (ii) I brought Deckard in behind the guard and took him down with a regular neural stunner. Both agents were now within the camera drone's sight line.

-(iii) A shot immediately rang out, but from where? No other guards had line of sight, or were anywhere near the event. It was a ghost shot, and it took out Banks. All primary keyboard and icon functions then stopped responding. I couldn't select or move any agents. I could only use the mouse to end the current turn, which is what I did. Next turn, a nearby alerted guard entered the room, placing Deckard under overwatch with nowhere to go.

*Note:- I didn't make a bug report for this final one, as I have never seen it before. I'm going to try to reproduce it first, but the conditions are pretty specific. 

Anyhow, it's still shaping up to be a great game, and I'm sure these wrinkles will be ironed out eventually. 

(3) This was a weird one, and I wouldn't know how to reproduce it. My last endless run came to an abrupt end because of this:

- (i) Banks was spotted by a guard and a camera drone. Guard went into overwatch.

- (ii) I brought Deckard in behind the guard and took him down with a regular neural stunner. Both agents were now within the camera drone's sight line.

-(iii) A shot immediately rang out, but from where? No other guards had line of sight, or were anywhere near the event. It was a ghost shot, and it took out Banks. [...]

I suspect camera drone being responsible for this one - it can fire, but only after going into an overwatch, which usually takes two turns.

Well, egg on my face...this is something I hadn't experienced after roughly 170 hours with the game! And I'm a regular hacker of said drones, too. It just never occurred to me.

Klei, please disregard the third point in my post above. 

Dunno, when camera drone see my agents it just going overwatch every turn (if they doesn't hide from it) and alert nearby guards, no shooting
when hacked it have only inactive overwatch button, no some akuma/obake style ammo etc (even on extremely missions)
so I'm pretty sure it can't shoot until you have some bug with it

nah it wouldn't, just try to tease it
look like camera drones just forced use standart overwatch ability with standart description, or have another one that doesn't require gun but developers doesn't add any new description yet

Can anyone who's experienced the overwatch bug post here and describe the situation that they were in when the bug happened? It would help us to know if there are lots of different situations where this is happening or it's mostly the melee reaction bug. Thank you! 

I'm not sure if this is the same bug but I have experienced some weird behaviour the first game after the update. I've played many games since and I haven't experience it again.

A guard was watching Internationale while she was standing in front of a closed door. I came in the room from another door with banks, to knock him out before moving internationale and when I ran to knock him from the side, he turned to banks' direction (about 45 degrees) before she reached the tile next to him and shot her (I'm sure I wasn't in his line of sight). I thought it was a new mechanism where if a guard is in overwatch and hears you running he shoots you, but then I tried to move internationale, since the guard wasn't looking at her direction anymore, but the guard turned back to internationale and shot her as well. 

Did you get into "notified" tile? Now guards will turn if they'll become alerted (!) and you'll get into yellow area.

EDIT: I've checked out the camera drone and it indeed ain't shooting after agent moves when it's in overwatch. It might be a bug, because I got notification that "a guard is about to shoot your agent" while referring to the camera drone. I even have video as proof. See for yourselves:

Perhaps, but if you look at the screen (on top of this page) there is a red text, meaning it ain't just copy-paste job and after going into an overwatch you get message that you need to seek cover or you'll be shot. I doubt they'd put these details in without having plan of AI using them, and I doubt that removing the ability (or the icon) in question would be that problematic for them to force them keep it.

• Developer

Hey guys, sorry for the confusion. Camera drones ( and Null drones) are indeed designed not to shoot. They don't have a gun, but there was a bug that gave them the overwatch ability. This is fixed in the next update. Thanks for reporting the issue!

Overwatch bug continued:

Agent took down guard beside the door, agent is now pinning the guard. End Turn. On enemy turn another guard comes, sees internationale pinning a guard, and shoots right away without giving 1 move to her.

Appreciate the continued work on this issue :)

Got an overwatch bug myself:

Banks was pinning down a guard. Other guard saw her on his turn and shot her instantly, on his own turn [on which he spotted her] with no usual 1 turn delay. She probably wouldn't have survived anyway, but a bug is a bug.

• Developer

Thanks for the bug reports all! I've attempted to recreate the situations you've described, and it does seem like we've managed to fix some of these situations. I think that this bug will appear less in the upcoming patch, but we'd appreciate it if (once the new patch comes out) you can keep letting us know if you see it, as it's one of the more frustrating and game-breaking bugs -- I know first-hand >:( 

Okay, so I think I may have figured out one of the causes of the bug. I've noticed that they tend to get jumpy and shooty when OTHER guards freak out and run into LoS of the overwatch guard. It seems to me that the guards are looking for ANY actions in their sight cone at ANY given time, rather than focusing on the agent they activated on and waiting for their turn.

It's happened to me about six times with that being the only similarity. Hope that helps you guys solve the bug. It's really annoying. Like, REALLY annoying.

Oh, and because l've wanted to say this for awhile: thanks for making the game so tablet-friendly. Only thing it'd need to be completely touch-compatible is a button for the ESC menu somewhere. Otherwise, it runs pretty spectacularly on a Surface Pro 2.

Archived