DST Beta Update (Phase 1) - Sept 22nd

JoeW

Come on Klei! Hand over the beta keys already!

:spidercowers:

I would say the same. I know that you must have everything done before handing keys over but come on...

Instead of being excited I am now annoyed and bored of waiting.

They aren't going to hand over the keys at 5:08 and 6:46 AM.

Klei has to get up and go to work at GMT -7 time first, let alone announce if they are ready to begin phase 2 testing. 

Now please be patient everybody and remember for any event:

Their time zone, not yours. 

If you have some fleshed out ideas for characters, you could probably pitch them to anyone who's putting out character mods already. Or post them on the Mods and Tools forum. I might even try my hand at making some, I've made some small mods but anything that touches the art assets seems more difficult for me.

tried that 8 ways to sunday already, maybe I'll post something when the beta opens to the public, should get a sizable wave of mod enthusiasm with a new update.

Klei said something like this in phase 1 "description": "We will expand the numbers (keys for closed beta applicants) when phase 2 starts, but don't hold your breath for this week (which now is the past week)." So is it going to be this week? I really need to know so I can make plans with my friends to play "Together", I mean "(...)but don't hold your breath for this week(...)" it can be in the next month or year (for exemple)...

Klei said something like this in phase 1 "description": "We will expand the numbers (keys for closed beta applicants) when phase 2 starts, but don't hold your breath for this week (which now is the past week)." So is it going to be this week? I really need to know so I can make plans with my friends to play "Together", I mean "(...)but don't hold your breath for this week(...)" it can be in the next month or year (for exemple)...

Not Klei, me. 

Which got you here from "mah key" if you remember. 

Where's mah key?!?!?!

I...don't get it?
When will we have the chance to play it?

When you are accepted, but don't hold your breath for this week.

Come on Klei, I can't wait, Hurry up!  @SethR Please, Phase 2! Don't let us starve, Feed us with more Info

(plus countless others like this) 

DST Beta Update - Sept 22nd

Hey everybody!

So, there has been a lot of buzz about the Don’t Starve Together Beta. Lots of speculation on who will get in and why. We have been watching, reading and listening to all the questions, ideas and suggestions. I thought it would be a good idea to drop by and add some new answers to the questions I have seen since the beta announcement. 

We still have a little bit to go until Don’t Starve Together plays right. We have some changes that want to make before players get a chance to play DST in large numbers. Mainly this comes down to the fact that it's not a good representation of what Don’t Starve Together should be. What is most important right now is that we have people who can help us verify that new systems are working as they should, rather than testing the game itself.

So I want to take a moment to explain where DST will be when you first get your hands on it, and where it will be a bit further down the road.

You can also check out our most recent “Rhymes with Play Devcast” for more info on where the game is currently. 

"What's going on with Don't Starve Together currently?"

Similar to the early days of Don’t Starve, we have one goal in mind; Making Don’t Starve Together a remarkable experience. So this means that our first priority is to provide the uncompromising survival game that you all know and love. Gameplay wise, the team is concentrating on making DST not just Don’t Starve with multplayer, but an experience unique to Don’t Starve Together. Something that provides new challenges and opportunities for discovery; but still feels like Don’t Starve.  

When we first approached Don’t Starve Together, we had a firm understanding that we couldn't just slap multiplayer into the game and it would be fine. However, for a good portion of DST development so far, we have been primarily focused on the technical end of things, and we are only really now getting a chance to dive into gameplay and balance. 

This will be an exciting and fun experience as we shape the DST world according to the feedback and information we gather during beta. But, it is extremely important that everybody understands that this is truly a beta in active development. 

"What are the early goals for beta?"

The first players of Don’t Starve Together will work with us to shape the early stages of this new Don’t Starve experience. Sometimes it will be too difficult. Sometimes it will be too easy. Sometimes it will be broken, and sometimes it will just be wrong. All along the way, we will be keeping everybody in the loop and talking about our progress as we move forward. 

We know that not everybody plays Don't Starve in the same way. The later phases of beta will include tweaks and changes that allow you to have a more custom experience. So if you like a more relaxed and slower paced version of Don’t Starve, you may want to wait until the later stages of beta. This is when we will be focusing on things like map and server customization, mods and world generation options.  

Some of these things will added earlier in beta, but we won’t be putting a lot of focus on it until the real core of Don’t Starve Together is in place. 

"How and when are keys being given out?"

2 Million keys have been generated (Yes, 2 million), and while we are quite itchy to get them out, we have some things to take care of first.

Phase 1 - "Friends and Family"
This week, we will start by giving keys to people we know from as far and wide as possible. This is what is usually called “Friends & Family beta” and is done to help us find any major issues that we might have overlooked before sending it out to the general public. 

Phase 2 - "Beta Registration Applicants"
Shortly after that, we will extend that circle out a bit more by bringing in people who registered for beta. We will be letting in small groups of people at first. As we prove that we are able to support the load, we will increase these numbers. 

We do not have a defined timeline for how often groups will be invited or how large those groups will be. This will be determined entirely by our ability to support the amount of people coming in and what needs to be done in order for everybody to have the smoothest experience possible....

And (again,) when they are ready, then they will announce Phase 2, not sooner. 

Some people are going to start having heart attacks!

I know we're supposed to wait. Can't Klei say "Hey, we'll release the beta keys in two weeks" and then, if they are ready to release them earlier just do it? 

Lie to us! We are anxious!

But if they say something like that and they go over that date, everyone will just complain. There is a reason companies don't like giving set dates for this type of stuff because if it's late then they get backlash from it.

I'm just as anxious as everyone else who signed up, but I'm willing to wait as long as Klei needs if it means that my first experience and impression of Don't Starve Together will be better.  I would much rather have this game released later but with less bugs and more content than earlier with a plethera of bugs and glitches.  Stop asking/begging Klei to release the game and be patient, everyone who signed up will get to enjoy starving with friends.

I'm just as anxious as everyone else who signed up, but I'm willing to wait as long as Klei needs if it means that my first experience and impression of Don't Starve Together will be better.  I would much rather have this game released later but with less bugs and more content than earlier with a plethera of bugs and glitches.  Stop asking/begging Klei to release the game and be patient, everyone who signed up will get to enjoy starving with friends.

I'd prefer to enjoy not starving with my friends, thank you.

I mean it is the name of the game, after all.

While we are waiting for this awesomeness check out my "Klei media" thread with all kinds of stuff for you eyes and ears .) So you can put new wallpaper on every screen you see :)

If you have something that i'm missing from my collection let me know: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/41150-wallpapers-and-other-media/?p=542198

BTW i check this thread every day couple times and i am on Mac :D so be glad that you have actually chance to get code and play Together. I need to wait a little bit longer to actually get to beta testing but Klei will as always do best they can to deliver more awesome stuff to us and you don't want to get beta key for game that don't work at all so lets be patient guys .)

Archived