Don't starve together, TOGETHER!

Like this ["spoiler] an image or text spoiler goes here, erase this text! [/spoiler"] without the " ". Go to More Reply Options, use "Attach Files" to upload the image, click in between the spoiler tags as if you wanted to type something between them, then click the orange "Add to Post" button, in the grey strip containing a tiny thumnail image of your picture that will be bellow the text edtting box.  :grin:

Well, i have no idea in the world on how to get to my steam screenshots, so im still confused...

Well, i have no idea in the world on how to get to my steam screenshots, so im still confused...

When Steam is open, right click the icon in your task bar and select "screenshots". At the top of the window select "Show: Don't Starve" and then click at the bottom of the window "Show on disk"

Alternatively you can go there manually

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[your number]\760\remote\219740\screenshots

;)

The save for the world I've been working on for a while got corrupted, along with all my character data, so I decided to join in on the fun here as Wilson!

I worked mostly on a single space that was a pretty small area, so I decided to take snapshots of the progress every five days to pass the time.

Day 5

post-461118-0-74030000-1411729547_thumb.

Stopped wandering on day 3 and got settled, even though no beefalo. But hey, there are still rabbits.

Day 10

post-461118-0-65685300-1411729562_thumb.

built a bird cage and one of those hat things, by this point I had four backpacks of rabbits, so I figured I was pretty set for winter

Day 15

post-461118-0-77481500-1411729564_thumb.

Built a shadow manipulator and some crockpots. Eyeplant's creeping over there, I killed it right after the screenshot.

Day 20

post-461118-0-28077100-1411729567_thumb.

buil one last crockpot and an ice chest. Then I gathered up a bit more food, and got everything ready for the screenshot on day 20

And my map on day 20

post-461118-0-47814700-1411729772_thumb.

I feel like I still have a lot of room to improve, but I can't figure out where or how. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm playing vanilla with no mods.

Some of you guys have really awesome bases!

The save for the world I've been working on for a while got corrupted, along with all my character data, so I decided to join in on the fun here as Wilson!

I worked mostly on a single space that was a pretty small area, so I decided to take snapshots of the progress every five days to pass the time.

Day 5

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00005.jpg

Stopped wandering on day 3 and got settled, even though no beefalo. But hey, there are still rabbits.

Day 10

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00006.jpg

built a bird cage and one of those hat things, by this point I had four backpacks of rabbits, so I figured I was pretty set for winter

Day 15

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00007.jpg

Built a shadow manipulator and some crockpots. Eyeplant's creeping over there, I killed it right after the screenshot.

Day 20

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00008.jpg

buil one last crockpot and an ice chest. Then I gathered up a bit more food, and got everything ready for the screenshot on day 20

And my map on day 20

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00009.jpg

I feel like I still have a lot of room to improve, but I can't figure out where or how. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm playing vanilla with no mods.

That's pretty well done. The only thing I could suggest is dig up twigs and other resources and plant them close to base, you want at least 20 grass and 20 sticks. That means you also need 20 fertilizer. Trust me, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Also, plant the eyeplant close but not too close, that prevents one spawning on top of your base. That could be disastrous to your reserves.

Oh, you should also make meatballs instead of stew. In the long one it is much more conservative. I believe you get slightly more hunger for two meatballs than with one stew, but don't quite me on it.

Day 5

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00005.jpg

Day 10

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00006.jpg

Day 15

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00007.jpg

Day 20

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00008.jpg

And my map on day 20

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00009.jpg

Well, color me jealous. You have awesome base building skills my friend! 

That's pretty well done. The only thing I could suggest is dig up twigs and other resources and plant them close to base, you want at least 20 grass and 20 sticks. That means you also need 20 fertilizer. Trust me, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Also, plant the eyeplant close but not too close, that prevents one spawning on top of your base. That could be disastrous to your reserves.

Oh, you should also make meatballs instead of stew. In the long one it is much more conservative. I believe you get slightly more hunger for two meatballs than with one stew, but don't quite me on it.

First of all, thanks :)

I know about the first point, but I usually don't bother with it until I'm preparing for second winter (especially on this save, there's like 30 grass in the small grassy biome next to me), just because you don't really need all that many and second summer is so boring because of the leftover resources from first winter (though I did move four sticks) and the plants don't grow in the winter anyway. What's the reasoning on doing this in the first summer?

I had no idea about this. How did you find that out? I could swear I've had a lureplant spawn on top of one of mine and start fighting it, though I may have just planted two and watched them fight it out.In either case that sounds way more effective than planting flooring all over the place

at any rate, I'm planting that thing the moment I log back on!

How should I make the meatballs? I've been using one monster meat, one meat, and two morsels/drumsticks/combo to make it. I'm up for a more optimal result if you have a way to get it. Try to include monster meat in the recipe, I love getting rid of the stuff.

Well, color me jealous. You have awesome base building skills my friend! 

Thanks!

Does anyone have advice on moving around during winter? I've moved a bit, but I hardly leave my base for fear of freezing. Any tips and tricks to tell how close I am to freezing? Knowing when I should build a fire out, or just hurry home? good ways to keep from wasting wood and/or food?

First of all, thanks :-)

I know about the first point, but I usually don't bother with it until I'm preparing for second winter (especially on this save, there's like 30 grass in the small grassy biome next to me), just because you don't really need all that many and second summer is so boring because of the leftover resources from first winter (though I did move four sticks) and the plants don't grow in the winter anyway. What's the reasoning on doing this in the first summer?

I had no idea about this. How did you find that out? I could swear I've had a lureplant spawn on top of one of mine and start fighting it, though I may have just planted two and watched them fight it out.In either case that sounds way more effective than planting flooring all over the place

at any rate, I'm planting that thing the moment I log back on!

How should I make the meatballs? I've been using one monster meat, one meat, and two morsels/drumsticks/combo to make it. I'm up for a more optimal result if you have a way to get it. Try to include monster meat in the recipe, I love getting rid of the stuff.

Thanks!

Does anyone have advice on moving around during winter? I've moved a bit, but I hardly leave my base for fear of freezing. Any tips and tricks to tell how close I am to freezing? Knowing when I should build a fire out, or just hurry home? good ways to keep from wasting wood and/or food?

You see, monster meat counts as a bigger meat in the recepie. So if you have two bigger meat, it makes stew. Simply have 3 morsels and 1 monster and you'll make meatballs. You can also turn meat into eggs and achieve the same result, as long as there is more of the smaller meat than the bigger meat.

Haven't you got that mining stone yet? You know, the one that allows for short trips in winter?

I think it's best I just link you the wiki at this point.  http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Winter

You see, monster meat counts as a bigger meat in the recepie. So if you have two bigger meat, it makes stew. Simply have 3 morsels and 1 monster and you'll make meatballs. You can also turn meat into eggs and achieve the same result, as long as there is more of the smaller meat than the bigger meat.

Haven't you got that mining stone yet? You know, the one that allows for short trips in winter?

I think it's best I just link you the wiki at this point.  http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Winter

I'm fine with short trips, and even semi-long ones, I'm wondering if anyone has tips for extended trips outside of a base in the winter. The heatstone barely lasts a full day, and even if I'm decked out in full winter gear (usually the winter hat and heavy jacket, though sometimes I swap them out for earmuffs and light breezy if I'm unable to get those quickly enough), I only last like half to 3/4 of a day (from complete darkness to complete darkness) before the ice on the edges of my screen starts showing up.

I can't help but think there must be a better way.

Edit: Just to be absolutely clear here, I'm looking for ways to take long treks away from my base in the winter

I'm fine with short trips, and even semi-long ones, I'm wondering if anyone has tips for extended trips outside of a base in the winter. The heatstone barely lasts a full day, and even if I'm decked out in full winter gear (usually the winter hat and heavy jacket, though sometimes I swap them out for earmuffs and light breezy if I'm unable to get those quickly enough), I only last like half to 3/4 of a day (from complete darkness to complete darkness) before the ice on the edges of my screen starts showing up.

Edit: Just to be absolutely clear here, I'm looking for ways to take long treks away from my base in the winter

I just bring enough supplies with me to make a few fires. Then I can explore for days. 

lots of wood & grass for bonfires, beefalo hat, breezy or puffy vest and you are ready to go. If you have any hound's teeth then you can make a sewing kit to make your clothes last longer (has 5 uses, restores 50% of clothing). Of course don't forget your heat stone. :)

By the way can I show my base on day... err I guess I have day 80 and fully recovered map.

lots of wood & grass for bonfires, beefalo hat, breezy or puffy vest and you are ready to go. If you have any hound's teeth then you can make a sewing kit to make your clothes last longer (has 5 uses, restores 50% of clothing). Of course don't forget your heat stone. :-)

By the way can I show my base on day... err I guess I have day 80 and fully recovered map.

oh wow, sewing kit is more useful than I thought, I might actually make one now, day 40 is coming up here soon for me.

Edit: Day 40 is here!

Spent more time than usual outside of my base this winter, it's not nearly as harsh as I remember it being.

Day 30:

post-461118-0-00882700-1411781246_thumb.

Decided to go outside of my base from days 20-30 and pick up some of those saplings and tufts of grass

Day 40:

post-461118-0-73874700-1411781248_thumb.

The base hasn't changed much here, I'm starting to make bacon and eggs with three monster meat (two converted to eggs) and a morsel

post-461118-0-98888400-1411781250_thumb.

New thing here though! I have a silk farm started.

I feel like I'm going to regret putting those so close together later when they all turn tier 3 at the same time. Oh well.

Full beard wilson wearing a beefalo hat and puffy vest will last the longest without heat. When your stone goes under yellow heat, it's best to put it in your bag so it doesn't actually cool you down instead of heating you.

Full beard wilson wearing a beefalo hat and puffy vest will last the longest without heat. When your stone goes under yellow heat, it's best to put it in your bag so it doesn't actually cool you down instead of heating you.

I read about that, but questioned the validity of putting it in the bag, so I've just been tossing it into chester whenever that happens.

using a thermal stone plus a winter clothing allows you to go around half a day or more without freezing. 

When it goes bluie you will freeze, backpack or belt slot.

Bring a torch to light trees into charcoal to stand next to and charcoal burns well as a bonus. Also, a board burns a long time if returning to base a lot nearby.

If inventory space is an issue, your goal is the Beefalo Hat. If not then the Puffy Vest. A winter hat is fine to start, but T3 is better than T2. Skip the rabbit earmuffs T1 crud.

Your next goal is the Tam O Shanter from MacTusk (and get the blow darts and tusks for the walking cane while you are there.) 

People of the internet! I have once again made it to day 20 without any horrific failures! (although after the last go around, I'm terrified of the Deerclops now) As last time went, I would appreciate suggestions or tips, since I'm a relatively new player, especially compared to many of you.

My base area on the map post-454535-0-57908100-1411788363_thumb.
My entire map so far post-454535-0-03250300-1411788429_thumb.
My base post-454535-0-87019100-1411788454_thumb.
My farms post-454535-0-41704200-1411788473_thumb.
And lastly, my berry bushes and drying racks post-454535-0-99447000-1411788498_thumb.

People of the internet! I have once again made it to day 20 without any horrific failures! (although after the last go around, I'm terrified of the Deerclops now) As last time went, I would appreciate suggestions or tips, since I'm a relatively new player, especially compared to many of you.

My base area on the map attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00001.jpg
My entire map so far attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00002.jpg
My base attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00003.jpg
My farms attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00005.jpg
And lastly, my berry bushes and drying racks attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00006.jpg

Nicely done! in the future, unless next to a natural bunch like a forest, transplant saplings before winter starts like you did with the grass. Twigs are important also. 

MAYBE i'd make one more crock pot so if you need emergency food cooked and you are doing one of those long cooking ones, you don't have to wait, but one crock pot since RoG is fine.

With those berry bushes, and no Bee boxes, i see lots of meatballs in your future, but it also depends on what crops you harvested and how much. Nothing wrong with dragonpies after an attack for instance. 

I hope you have a thermal stone and winter clothing or it;s going to be very painful of course. 

Burn trees when cold as it alo makes charcoal you can burn. planks also burn all day if you are hopping away and back to base a lot and not long-term exploring. 

If swimming in meat (Beefalo, pigs, etc,) Meaty stews for 3 meat restore 150 hunger make just before you are about to eat as it lasts very shortly. 

Grow out your beard! it helps warmth! 

Use several or more allies with the deerclops, and go somewhere else than your base when you hear the roaring! Run up  and hit then run away and have your allies fight him. Repeat. 

Mactusk are hit best for newbies with boomerangs, then blow darts. Get your Tam and walking cane tusks! The blue hounds' teeth are used for tooth traps and sewing kits in that order. 

Boomerang many snowbirds for their feathers which only appear in winter. Later, get reeds for making your own blowdarts. 

Next winter, have bee boxes and a birdcage already built before for many honey ham/ham and eggs ready. 

That should do it. 

oh wow, sewing kit is more useful than I thought, I might actually make one now, day 40 is coming up here soon for me.

Edit: Day 40 is here!

Spent more time than usual outside of my base this winter, it's not nearly as harsh as I remember it being.

Day 30:

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00011.jpg

Decided to go outside of my base from days 20-30 and pick up some of those saplings and tufts of grass

Day 40:

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00012.jpg

The base hasn't changed much here, I'm starting to make bacon and eggs with three monster meat (two converted to eggs) and a morsel

attachicon.gif2014-09-26_00014.jpg

New thing here though! I have a silk farm started.

I feel like I'm going to regret putting those so close together later when they all turn tier 3 at the same time. Oh well.

Looks great!

I haven't had any time to continue playing on my file, I have been very busy lately :/

And also if you haven't already, may i suggest hammering down your alchemy engine and science machine?

Since you already have the Shadow manipulator, I don't see much point of having those two machines ,(The Shadow manipulator can prototype ALL items that the science machine and the alchemy engine could) Other then just some insurance- in case your manipulator lights of fire or something...

So I suggest hammering those two out, so you may have some room for another item i.e. Drying rack, crock pot?

Well, as I'm (actually) trying to come back (it's serious this time, guys!), I figured why not gather on to this? These shots are of a new world I've been playing in with Default Plus and some tweaks (to make the world generally harsher):

(All screenshots taken as of the dusk of day thirty-two, I only can't bring day twenty pics because I'm past that for some good time now)

Shot One: The Non-Base.
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/535124313170158110/4F68AA1568F06BF2025138C05AED7B7A40BEB783/

Shot Two: Two Worlds without Paradise.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/535124313170377335/58F5F0F210FA311592B16EC42E20B9BCED6B32FA/

Shot Three: Queen's Landing.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/535124313170756179/9F95E07522A118973434AD2EA65D012428CD9CDF/

Looks great!

I haven't had any time to continue playing on my file, I have been very busy lately :/

And also if you haven't already, may i suggest hammering down your alchemy engine and science machine?

Since you already have the Shadow manipulator, I don't see much point of having those two machines ,(The Shadow manipulator can prototype ALL items that the science machine and the alchemy engine could) Other then just some insurance- in case your manipulator lights of fire or something...

So I suggest hammering those two out, so you may have some room for another item i.e. Drying rack, crock pot?

I honestly like the visual appeal of having all four machines at one spot around the fire like that.

and I think I should keep the alchemy and shadow and just hammer the other two, I don't think magic can prototype science.

using a thermal stone plus a winter clothing allows you to go around half a day or more without freezing. 

When it goes bluie you will freeze, backpack or belt slot.

Bring a torch to light trees into charcoal to stand next to and charcoal burns well as a bonus. Also, a board burns a long time if returning to base a lot nearby.

If inventory space is an issue, your goal is the Beefalo Hat. If not then the Puffy Vest. A winter hat is fine to start, but T3 is better than T2. Skip the rabbit earmuffs T1 crud.

Your next goal is the Tam O Shanter from MacTusk (and get the blow darts and tusks for the walking cane while you are there.) 

I killed like six MacTusk but only got like two tusks and no hat.

So disappointed my luck,

I honestly like the visual appeal of having all four machines at one spot around the fire like that.

and I think I should keep the alchemy and shadow and just hammer the other two, I don't think magic can prototype science.

So disappointed my luck,

You share my luck it seems. Good luck next season then. 

Finally! i got it! quick thanks to people who helped me. :)

So here it is:

post-226541-0-17487500-1411918164_thumb.

My base at day 21 (I forgot to screenshot on day 20).

I have 2 crock pots and drying racks, bees, meat effigy, berries (Protected by the power of heaven-harnessing), and 2 rabbit traps set up outside of base. i put the base there because of the maxwell's door that's just nearby (Im gonna beat it, dammit!). i forgot to screenshot my map as well :(

But i found mactusk and maxwell's door.

Since then i added a winterometer and an ice box. im at day 27 as i post this. i was also lucky to find mactusk and his stuff nearby some pigs (Monster meat and then charge the igloo!) so i got the tam o' shanter as well.

Finally! i got it! quick thanks to people who helped me. :-)

So here it is:

attachicon.gif2014-09-25_00004.jpg

My base at day 21 (I forgot to screenshot on day 20).

I have 2 crock pots and drying racks, bees, meat effigy, berries (Protected by the power of heaven-harnessing), and 2 rabbit traps set up outside of base. i put the base there because of the maxwell's door that's just nearby (Im gonna beat it, dammit!). i forgot to screenshot my map as well :(

But i found mactusk and maxwell's door.

Since then i added a winterometer and an ice box. im at day 27 as i post this. i was also lucky to find mactusk and his stuff nearby some pigs (Monster meat and then charge the igloo!) so i got the tam o' shanter as well.

2 holes isn't enough to survive winter on :\ I normally aim for 4 or more. You'll have to scrape for a boomerang and luck for meat instead of feathers from birds.

So disappointed my luck,

My strategy to get the Tam O' Shanter is just planting some spider nests around the igloos. Of course the spiders will eat the meat, but the hat will be intact, and same for the Walrus Tusks, Hound Teeth and Blow Darts.

If you're not playing as Webber, just Fire Dart/Staff the dens after winter.

Archived