Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

piratekingflcl

Ice-Flingomatic sprinkler ability not working properly?

I started a game as Wendy in Spring, and I decided to make my Base Camp next to a Touchstone I found in the middle of a Marsh biome. I had easy access to some good resources like Fish, Silk, Reeds, and a nice evergreen forest I was able to transplant for easy Log collection.

In my preparation for Summer, I also gathered up some necessary components for a small Berry/Twig/Grass farm to make exploration easier during the long, hot days.

post-448383-0-69161100-1410322685_thumb.

Manure was a problem at first, as I couldn't find a Beefalo herd within the first couple weeks, so I made due with a Koalefant pen (the first Koalefant valiantly sacrificed itself to some Tentacles, so that I could eat its meat and make a Breezy Vest, but I was very careful when herding this one). With its help, I slowly accrued poop to fertilize my grass and berry bushes.

It was only on the last day of Spring that I realized my folly: Like a drunk college frat guy in charge of the kegger, I'd forgotten the Ice!

I sprinted for the Mosaic biome with what litttle time I had left, and between dusk and night I was able to harvest just enough Ice for two Ice Flingers.

Summer having started before I arrived back home, I was worried for my crops more than anything. I quickly made the first Flingomatic to protect both the plants and the Koalefant pen from bursting into flames.

But I noticed that even with the Flingomatic running all the time, my crops still withered at random while the Flingomatic had no effect on them.

post-448383-0-52061800-1410322123_thumb.

Most of the Grass was unfertilized, and the squad of Berry Bushes on the other side of the Touchstone hadn't been fertilized yet and weren't in range of the Flingomatic, so I didn't expect it to make them start growing. But the few Berry Bushes near the Koalefant pen were fertilized, and my Saplings of course didn't need it.

So, despite seeming to throw a plethora of snowballs at the withered plants, there was no change in their state. It wasn't until I decided to quit the game and reload that the plants went back to their normal "harvested" state.

post-448383-0-69051400-1410322633_thumb.

Is this the intended behavior? I've read that the Flingomatic should act like a sprinkler during the summer, not just protecting you from fire but giving you the added advantage of renewable resources as long as you place them in range. But right now it seems like it won't keep your crops growing at all, unless you decide to quit the game every time a plant in range of it withers.

I do have a couple of Mods installed, like the Abigail HP Bar (I don't remember the name), a fix for Rock Lobster population overgrowth (RockyFix), and of course the "I understand" mod that disables the mod warning, but I can't imagine why any of those mods should be affecting these interactions...

spencer320    154

The crops won't grow unless you fertilize first. Other than that, the flinger will keep crops harvestable and keep them from wilting. I've had issues with planting too close to the flinger and that seems to maybe be the case here.

The fact that you restarted the game and they were fine leads me to think it's something else, tho. Did this happen when you first fertilized or on more than one occasion?

It happened occasionally. There were also times where the sprinkler did work (i.e. brought a withered plant back to life), but there was little consistency to whether it did or not.

Though, I think it's possible the plants themselves were being watered correctly by the Flingomatic, the game just didn't update the models.

I was still able to fertilize the newly withered plants, and that would have the same effect on them as if they were just regularly unfertilized. However, at one point there was a previously fertilized Grass that had withered in the Summer heat, and which I didn't bother to re-fertilize. Even from that state, I saw it produce Grass without me doing anything to it.

This made me think the game needed to reload the plant assets, so I did a save and quit, and then the fertilized models appeared where the previously withered plants were (not the Grass or Bushes I hadn't fertilized though, which I didn't expect to change).

Elipod    5

Same happened to me, flingomatic didn't prevent withering on some of my grass, but it appeared fertile again after reload

spencer320    154

Thats weird. What platform are you guys on? PC, PS4 or Vita?

The only thing I've had happen like this is if I let the flinger run out of fuel, I might have a few grass wither, but when I refuel it and pick nearby the flinger will activate and bring the withered back to life.

Elipod    5

PC.

It ran out of fuel, but when I refueled, some grass kept dying. Now, that you mentioned it, maybe it didn't target grass, that started withering when it was out of fuel.

spencer320    154

I've never seen the flinger fling onto grass unless it was just picked or smoldering. Kinda sounds like you got it figured out at least?

Elipod    5

It happened once after last update I hadn't played since, so I don't know how common this bug is. But I'm sure flingomatic occasionally shoots grass and all other plants to prevent withering, even if they are not smoldering. It kept all my grass and twigs fresh before.

Ah sorry for not responding sooner. v_v

I'm also on PC as well. I've not been able to determine the cause of the intermittent sprinkler failure so far, but it only happened a few times in my latest game during the last summer. This problem seems to be especially prone to happening for the Withered Grass in particular; the Berry Bushes and Saplings seem to have a much lower failure rate when it comes to the Flingomatic.

I have some vods of Don't Starve from some streams I've done, and there is at least one or two times where the Flingomatic will throw a snowball at some Withered Grass and the Grass will remain unfazed. This tells me that it acknowledges the withered status, and even attempts to correct it, but something else prevents it from completing the job.

Edit: Or perhaps it is a problem with the snowball's hitbox not correctly hitting the Grass. Sometimes after failing to revive a plant, the Flingomatic will accidentally renew a plant as it is firing at different plants nearby.