[Sound] - Sound crackle

Bug Submission:

Category: Sound

Platform: PC

Issue Title: Sound crackle

Issue Description: I don't know if this is intentionally part of the music or sound track, but every now and then I'm hearing a sound 'crackle' during missions, like a half second of static. It plays over the other sounds, so I'm guessing it's intentional, but it sounds like my system is either glitching or like there is an issue with my sound card hardware or drivers. If it's intentional it should probably be removed.

Steps to Reproduce: Play the game.

• Developer

Do you ever hear static in other games?

I haven't heard it myself when playing, but I'll pay more attention when I'm playing the game this afternoon to see if I hear it myself.

• Developer

We're having trouble re-creating this issue in-house here at Klei.

For those of you who are having this issue, can we get you to please post your DXDIAG results for us?

DXDiag
In order to get a DXDiag on WindowsXP or more recent operating systems:

• Click on your Start button
  • Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to access the "Run" window
  • On the new window, type in dxdiag.exe and press enter; this will open up the DirectX diagnostic tool
  • Click on the "Save All Information" tab on the diagnostic tool
  • A "Save As..." window will pop up where you can click on save. It will save your hardware information as a document to your desktop (default).
  • Close the diagnostic tool and attach the new document to your forum post or support ticket.

Thanks, hopefully the information from the reports will help us get to the bottom of what could be causing it!

I was able to "recreate" this.

It happened when low on resources, instead of the game pausing as in freezing, the sound crackles. This is true if you are running something else memory intensive at the same time (in my case a lot of Chrome windows with one of them running a java game at the same time.) Once I ran my game boosters freeing up memory, the crackling stopped or only started during those first memory intensive game loading moments. 

I was able to "recreate" this.

It happened when low on resources, instead of the game pausing as in freezing, the sound crackles. This is true if you are running something else memory intensive at the same time (in my case a lot of Chrome windows with one of them running a java game at the same time.) Once I ran my game boosters freeing up memory, the crackling stopped or only started during those first memory intensive game loading moments. 

Processor at 5%.

Grapics card not doing anything at all.

RAM only 30% full (8GB)

Yeah I doubt that I ran out of resources.

But maybe the game cannot allocate the resources properly, that's the only thing I can think of.

It went away this morning but came back this evening.  I would have played a few more rounds of this otherwise addictive game but was too irritated; it's like having to listen to a favourite piece of music being played on cracked vinyl, it doesn't just hiss and crackle, the audio skips and warps.

Archived