Is there any way to recover my save? I believe it is corrupt.

Mesk

Good morning guys!

I am playing a RoG game and am at day 89. Then I decided to enter a cave.

When I did that, the screen went black for a while and then just crashed to the desktop. No error message or anything.

I went back to load my other two save files and they work fine. Only that particular save doesn't work. It always crashes to the desktop like the first time.

The menu also says "Cave Depths 1 -1" so I guess it autosaved before crashing.

Thank you for your assistance

NOTE: I was using mods. However, I was using the same mods on the files that still load. The mods used are:

Always On Status / Minimap HD / Display Food Values / Season Clock

NOTE 2: I had managed to enter caves on one other save (did not try with the third save). I am still able to enter caves on other save files since the crash.

NOTE 3: I have attached my Log and DxDiags to this post.

Thank you again!

Mesk

Mesk DxDiag.txt

Mesk log.txt

I'm not too computer savvy so I don't really get the "not enough memory" in the log. I have 4GB of Ram and over 250GB of space remaining on my HD so I don't think that might be the problem. Then again, I am probably missing something since I am not that knowledgeable on computers.

Also, the other save files have loaded so I am not sure what the problem could be.

I have both tried loading the save file without the mods (still get the error) and loading the other files with / without the mods (and they load).

Thank you for your reply.

If I'm reading it properly, you're running on integrated graphic card with just 128MB dedicated ram. The 'out of memory' likely refers to being out of video memory - you're probably on the edge of required memory to run it, and so some caves load some do not. If you have another graphic card and ability to switch to it, you will probably want to do that. Alternatively, I have no idea if small textures will help your case, it might load if you turn them on in settings.

Aside from that, you can try to 'save' your game by overwriting the cave save file that doesn't load with the ones that do load. E.g. if your save is first slot, you will want to look at my documents\Klei\DoNotStarve\save and replace cave_1_1_1 (the first number represents save slot number) with the other cave file in there (make backups, just in case). I suck at explaining, but hopefully you got the idea.

Yeah, DeathDisciple, I tried all those things you suggested and still nothing.

The other save files all work, though, so I suppose this is just some kind of anomaly.

I suppose I could just think of this as if I died on day 89 in the caves! hahaha

Thanks for your help, though!

I'm not too computer savvy so I don't really get the "not enough memory" in the log. I have 4GB of Ram and over 250GB of space remaining on my HD so I don't think that might be the problem. Then again, I am probably missing something since I am not that knowledgeable on computers.

Also, the other save files have loaded so I am not sure what the problem could be.

I have both tried loading the save file without the mods (still get the error) and loading the other files with / without the mods (and they load).

Thank you for your reply.

how much ram or hard disk doesn't matter If there is a memory leak on the game or a mod . Best thing is try to restart . 

I managed to solve the issue!

What I did was go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\STEAMUSERIDNUMBER\219740\remote and find all the save files.

Initially, I tried deleting all the cave saves, creating a new game, finding and entering a cave, then tried to load my save file. Still no success.

Then I tried to delete all the files in that folder. None of my save games were deleted. I disabled all mods and tried to load. Save files loaded except for the corrupt one. However, instead of just giving me a black screen and crashing, I got an error message.

I tried once again with the mods enabled and it worked!

Thank you all for your help!

Archived