TheRetardOne changes to TheReveredOne

TheReveredOne

The word "retard" itself shouldn't be offensive as it's a medical term. However, if used in a derogatory sense then it can become the equivalent of using spastic (also used in the medical field) and gay as insults which can be deemed as bullying or being offensive.

The word "retard" itself shouldn't be offensive as it's a medical term. However, if used in a derogatory sense then it can become the equivalent of using spastic (also used in the medical field) and gay as insults which can be deemed as bullying or being offensive.

I agree completely.

Tamazacat said it very well, but I'll expand it a bit.

"Retarded"  is now considered offensive to those with mental impairments as much as "crippled" is considered as bad now as "gimped" was for physically handicapped. Even the Black Eyed Peas' song "Let's get it Started" was changed from its original "Let's Get Retarded."

With today's cyberbullying, a "simple" term that is also frequently used in hated speech (is too dangerous to be used even if not in a negative way. We also no longer use "midget" and "dwarf' in US English outside of medical journals for the same reasons (but I'll hold off if saying calling a group "Little people" is a good idea or not. moving on....)

While I am against censorship, there is a point where some things are not going to be said (*cough cough N word cough cough*) and this holds especially true on a privately run (non-governmental) board which sets their own rules clearly listed in their Community Standards

This includes Admin changing user names to things deemed less offensive (Sorry Sally) to outright banning a user if deemed appropriate (and this was discussed elsewhere on a locked thread and that's all we'll say on it.)  

But as our Mod tehMugwump said, this user's change is quite an honorable adjective and an excellent one indeed. 

Tamazacat said it very well, but I'll expand it a bit.

"Retarded"  is now considered offensive to those with mental impairments as much as "crippled" is considered as bad now as "gimped" was for physically handicapped. Even the Black Eyed Peas' song "Let's get it Started" was changed from its original "Let's Get Retarded."

With today's cyberbullying, a "simple" term that is also frequently used in hated speech (is too dangerous to be used even if not in a negative way. We also no longer use "midget" and "dwarf' in US English outside of medical journals for the same reasons (but I'll hold off if saying calling a group "Little people" is a good idea or not. moving on....)

While I am against censorship, there is a point where some things are not going to be said (*cough cough N word cough cough*) and this holds especially true on a privately run (non-governmental) board which sets their own rules clearly listed in their Community Standards

This includes Admin changing user names to things deemed less offensive (Sorry Sally) to outright banning a user if deemed appropriate (and this was discussed elsewhere on a locked thread and that's all we'll say on it.)  

But as our Mod tehMugwump said, this user's change is quite an honorable adjective and an excellent one indeed. 

"crippled" is offensive? That's weird, cause it doesn't sound like an offensive word at all. I would understand if "retarded" was, but "crippled"? Might as well make the word "noob" illegal :razz:

But I quite sincerely agree to what you wrote. And what's with all that Sally thing? Sally who? Sally Acorn from Sonic Satam? That's the only Sally I can think of.

EDIT: actually there's a Sally in Cars movie as well...

There is a user name with Sally in it here. That's all I'll say.

And in the USA, calling a person the adjective "Crippled" or the noun "a Cripple" is considered offensive since the mid-80's.

We're not talking going from Handicapped to "disabled" to "differently abled" (not going into PC here either) but it being used as a term as derogatory and offensive like (oh dear what can I use here without major editing or banning...ahh) a certain word in the cleaning fluid ****-N-Span  is no longer ever used for the Hispanic/Latino/Mexican community for the same derogatory reasons even if considered "only mildly offensive."

And considering the physical, mental and psychological abuse (which notably lead to many suicides recently, especially with "harmless cyberbullying") I still see on all "outside" groups (even that some people are TREATED as outsiders for crying out loud)  perhaps this was a necessary intolerance in freedom for the sake of tolerance for everybody. 

But I still hate it when our freedom of speech is curtailed. Maybe when we as a culture begin to use it responsibly, we can use these words like one does from a history book (and never anything else) again. 

Archived