Challenge vs. Annoyance

I have to say, after 12 attmepts at the Reign of Giants DLC (on PS4) , Im not sure how I feel about it. I was VERY excited about all the new creatures & elements. I really like the artwork of all the new additions. I do have a few thoughts though, and I hope others will agree.

First off, the map seems to have resolution issues, being a green blur on he edges of the world map. Almost like a glitched texture. Not sure if its just me or the game itself. Also notice some motion blur with walking.

1. Spring rain. I understand that wetness is now an issue in the game, but does it seriously have to rain EVERY OTHER DAY?! Not only that, but sometimes, it rains for a full 7 minutes (almost an entire day). Not once did I start in a world where I could even come close to being ready for a whole days rain in the first 2 days....

2. Summer. Again, overheating is new, I get it. But the summer - heat / winter - cold ratio is definitely unbalanced. There is definitely never enough ice to last til the summer. Another thing that is very frustration is the rate at  which things randomly combust. I dont mind here and there, but again, these "new" things seem to be forced upon us way too strongly by default. Yes there are options to adjust these things, but who wants to take out something when it should be balanced by default?

3. Preventative items. Umbrella, Rain Gear, Clothing, etc... All of these things should do their job, and I definitely dont notice it most of the time, especially the rain stuff. If the rain coat/hat is there to combat wetness, shouldnt it work to some degree?

4. World Size. Maybe all the new stuff is supposed to be overkill? Maybe its just me? But the world size (again speaking about defaults) is far too big to survive for long periods of time. Adjusting the world map style doesnt seem to help either. I get that GIANT is in the name, but seriously....

On my vanilla version of the game, I am well over day 6000. WIth RoG, I have yet to see beyond day 30. While I appreciate a challenge, and love the new additions, I hope that efforts will be made to fix things that are more annoyances than anything else.

do you really appreciate a challenge that can kill you? Rain can easily be balanced with the whole new set of protective gears.

personally, the world size is far too small...and before rog, it's not comparavle because we can easily survive with a rabbit farm/infinite food so easily...

1. Rain is one of those things you learn to deal with. Make a pretty parasol and straw hat on day 1 of a spring start and you already resist 75% of the rain, and you can stand under a tree to stack it even higher. Pig Umbrella+Straw hat can negate rain entirely. 

2. There is always plenty of ice in the worlds I get. Just enough to make an Ice Flingomatic to deal with smoldering objects. Summer Frest, ice cube, fashion melon, and umbrellas also help with overheating. Plus Pengulls make more Ice during winter, so it's renewable.

3. They all do their job, but they only protect a certain amount. Rain coat gives 100% protection but is more expensive to craft and takes up the chest slot. Pretty parasol resists only 50%, pig skin umbrella resists 90%, and most hats resist 25%. Eventually you just want to get the Eyebrella, which is a hat and resists 100%.

As for world size it's fine. The DLC adds more difficulty of course, you just have to adapt and learn how things work, there doesn't need to be any tuning. If you look back at this entire section of the forum there's a good 2+ months worth of beta testing before the DLC went live on the PC version, with devs communicating with us and tuning things to best fit.

I have to disagree.  I just hopped right in to Reign of Giants, without watching any videos or tutorials online.  I still managed to reach day 80+ on my first try.  Maybe you have an outdated version?

@jWIRE first of all, welcom to the forums!

I am not surprised to see such a thread soon after the release of RoG on ps4. We have seen similar threads during beta and when RoG was released on PC. However, let me reassure you by saying that most of the issues you have mentionned have been tested by a lot of players and things were balanced in order to make it more enjoyable.

RoG is not different from vanilla Don't Starve in the way that it has a learning curve and everything seems more deadly when you first play it. Eventually, you will know how to deal with everything and it will get a lot easier.

If you are interested, you can take a look at my recent Wes playthrough by following this link:

http://www.twitch.tv/neodeusmachina/b/548534542

I started in spring on a huge map (which is a lot bigger than the default size map). That should help you figure out how to survive through spring while preparing for summer.

If you don't feel like going through that playthrough or prefer not to spoil yourself, @oCrapaCreeper already gave you some pretty decent advices! If you need more help, you can pm me I will gladly help you!

Cheers!

I have to disagree.  I just hopped right in to Reign of Giants, without watching any videos or tutorials online.  I still managed to reach day 80+ on my first try.  Maybe you have an outdated version?

you read on wiki right? becuase withount readding it i could pass day 25 then i saw the stats made a world to 80+

you read on wiki right? becuase withount readding it i could pass day 25 then i saw the stats made a world to 80+

No, I went in completely blind.  I think it's very well balanced and doesn't need any tweaking.

4. World Size. Maybe all the new stuff is supposed to be overkill? Maybe its just me? But the world size (again speaking about defaults) is far too big to survive for long periods of time. Adjusting the world map style doesnt seem to help either. I get that GIANT is in the name, but seriously....

ROG adds 2 new biomes to the world, and each appear twice in the world generation, it must be bigger in order to fit everything.

As for the rest of the complains, it's just a matter of getting used to it. After a while, you will even miss those if you play a vanilla world again.

No, I went in completely blind.  I think it's very well balanced and doesn't need any tweaking.

whoa how did you dealt with the 50% chance poisoned birchguard? i died a lot for that

Archived