No Hands Challenge?

A few tips and tricks, guys

I died after 2 days.  Got too ambitious with the rook.

Started again and managed the first night hopping fireflies, and then found the wooden thing, so now I'm just trying to work out how to get the rook to do my bidding.  He keeps wanting to go home when I want him to come with me. 

When the rook is too far away from where he spawned, he'll only try to run home and won't aggro you. As a bonus, he won't try to correct his pathing to his spawn if he is pushed off course, so you can place two grass walls down to hold him in one spot. Corner of the map works too, but the walls can help with lining him up for chopping trees. When you get the cones, plant them in rows two wide, he'll get them all if you aim it right.

My main problem with the rook is that when I go to get him to chase me I sometimes get hit by the bishop, since they always end up close to each other.  And I can't get him to go very far from home.

Dodging just the rook is fine as he always moves in straight lines.  Apart from when I get over-confident and think I'm a bull-fighter.

Just pull the aggro of the rook every once and a while near the wooden thing. He'll take the bishops out for you with minor guidance. As @Hate had said, a grass suit wouldn't hurt to protect you earlier on.

Hmm, wilson is considered the "Default Measuring Stick" for all other characters. Balanced or not I will let others debate. 

What is the best method of healing the Rook? 

The best way to heal the rook would be using any healing item on him when he's trapped against some walls or the edge of the world. I got spider glands by pulling spiders to tentacles in the swamp, and ash by placing picked grass next to a large campfire.

Good luck with your future attempts!

@Hate

@Flare2V

Thanks for all the advice and tips!  I'm getting quite attached to my pet rook.

#rookmining would've been my jam in vanilla, but when I found out how to do it effectively I was doing a challenge that involved moving around too much to be worthwhile. Near the end of the challenge Reign of Giants was released where Bearger and Deerclops 2.0 fulfilled the rook's role better than even the rook did.

I'm going to be streaming soon, so I won't be able to reply here for a few hours, hope to chat more again afterwards!

Archived