Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Renz004

(bug?) Butterfly Murder = Plant?

Renz004    10

UPDATED:  scroll down for a screenshot.

Here is an updated explanation for clarity:

PC Don't Starve Reign of Giants -> Using a Gamepad
-Butterflys may have a bug in the text specific to the gamepad.
As the screenshot shows, you are not presented with an option to "Plant". 
If you select murder, it does not kill the butterfly and instead it attempts to allow you to plant a flower instead. 
If you want to kill the butterfly for wings, you have to release it and then attack it instead of selecting Murder.

I believe the bug is that it should say "Plant" instead of "Murder".  

This happens 100% of the time, and you can try it yourself to see what I mean. If it's intended then it's very odd.

Original Text:

Note:I am using a 360 gamepad to play 

Not sure if this is a bug or if it is intended, but when catching butterflies to plant flowers I have to murder them in order to plant them.  I could have swore on the PS4 version it would say "Plant" instead of "Murder", but on the PC RoG version you have to press right on the gamepad which is selecting murder in order to plant them.  There is no "Plant" text anywhere or option. Murdering them works to plant them.

I'm not sure if this text is intended or not. IMO it should say "plant" or something.

-Ro-    26

Note:I am using a 360 gamepad to play 

Not sure if this is a bug or if it is intended, but when catching butterflies to plant flowers I have to murder them in order to plant them.  I could have swore on the PS4 version it would say "Plant" instead of "Murder", but on the PC RoG version you have to press right on the gamepad which is selecting murder in order to plant them.  There is no "Plant" text anywhere or option. Murdering them works to plant them.

I'm not sure if this text is intended or not. IMO it should say "plant" or something.

Can you show me the screen shot?

Renz004    10

Screenshot_zps7e4e3682.jpg

It should say plant, not murder.  Or is that working as intended?  I never really understood how planting a butterfly spawns a flower o.o

Auth    9,588

You have to hold the butterfly over the ground, not have it in your hotbar, Silly.

Renz004    10

Errr. The game plays differently on a Gamepad. I'm not using the mouse. There is no such thing as dragging any item while using a gamepad.  Which is why I think it's a bug in the text, because I shouldn't be murdering the butterflies since planting them doesn't count towards Krampus (at least I don't think it does?). Also when I press murder I don't get butterfly wings, I only get the option to plant it.

Auth    9,588

Errr. The game plays differently on a Gamepad. I'm not using the mouse. There is no such thing as dragging any item while using a gamepad.  Which is why I think it's a bug in the text, because I shouldn't be murdering the butterflies since planting them doesn't count towards Krampus (at least I don't think it does?). Also when I press murder I don't get butterfly wings, I only get the option to plant it.

Drop it then select drop again while its on the ground

Renz004    10

Drop it then select drop again while its on the ground

Okay I'm sorry I guess I'm not being clear.

If you select murder, it does not kill the butterfly and instead it attempts to allow you to plant a flower instead. 

If you want to kill the butterfly for wings, you have to release it and then attack it instead of selecting Murder.

This happens 100% of the time, and you can try it yourself to see what I mean. If it's intended then it's very odd.

Auth    9,588

Okay I'm sorry I guess I'm not being clear.

P.S. Weirdobob is the best person ever

Oh, I see. It's not a bug, it's intentional. I thought you were using a mod that made you able to kill it, as the mod does exist. Sorry for the confusion.

Auth    9,588

oh. Does that mean planting butterflies to create flowers adds naughtiness? o.O

Thanks.

Nope.

Renz004    10

lol well then it shouldnt say murder!!! :p  It should just say plant!  I say it's a bug or laziness!

Auth    9,588

lol well then it shouldnt say murder!!! :razz:  It should just say plant!  I say it's a bug or laziness!

Well it doesn't make sense to plant a butterfly and get flowers, you murder it and make insta-grow flower fertilizer.

spencer320    154

It's a bug. You obviously know the work around for it (how to plant and how to murder) so no harm. I'm sure the devs have seen or will see this thread and a fix will be implemented along with DST. Thanks for reporting! 

Wade    309

This is actually a known issue with the limitations of mapping onto the controller brought up.

The actual process is a little confusing. When you highlight the Butterfly, you will receive a "Murder" option for D-pad Right. Using this option will actually bring up the Plant highlight to show where the Butterfly would be planted. If you press the D-pad Right again while the planting highlight is appearing, it will actually perform the Murder option (without having to release the Butterfly)

We fixed the incorrect text issue when it came up on PS4, but it sounds like the fix didn't make it to PC. I'll follow up and make sure the programmers know to take another look.