Don't Starve Black Screen, forces manual restart

I somewhat recently got a new computer, it's actually an older desktop but better quality than my laptop. It ran don't starve just fine but I wasn't playing much since I had a super small and crappy monitor and it made game play kind of difficult. I very recently got a new monitor and I wanted to try DS again  but when I clicked on it I got a black screen. I could hear the music and my skype was still running but all I could see was a pure black screen. I tried to ALT+Tab but the screen remained black. I then tried CTR+ALT+Delete. Once again, nothing changed. I waited for nearly 5 minutes thinking something could just be loading slow but to no avail. I was left with no other option than to manually restart my computer. I tried loading the game again- manual restart. Tried uninstalling- manual restart. Uninstalled steam and all steam games- manual restart. I have NO idea what is wrong. I can run other steam games but don't starve won't work. I would really love some help or advice on how to fix this, I miss playing. 

Well that was interesting... I did as you asked and at first it did the black screen again, ALT+Tab didn't work, same with CTRL+ALT+Delete but then I was fiddling with the enter and space bar and heard some pinging. Figured it was from the screen menu from ctrlaltdel so I kept fiddling until I managed locked myself out of the computer which actually got rid of the black screen. I logged back in and now it all works fine! Not sure how that worked... I'm nervous to test it again though. 

• Developer

Yeah, it could be an issue where the game was trying to apply the settings from your old computer onto the new computer, which could cause window and resolution issues.

Glad to hear it all worked out.  :)

Archived