Sign in to follow this  
Deatheater

Teleportation System

Deatheater    10

Would be nice if there was a way to make some type of teleportation system instead of having to walk from one side of the island to another & having to make multiple campsites. I have scenarios where I want to fill in more of the map but I know if I stray too far, I won't have time to come back to camp. This makes me have to scrounge around for rocks to make another rock fireplace. Anything like that would be awesome.

Guest Dandytard   
Guest Dandytard

How does a teleport, Which doesn't exist even in the modern society we are today, Supposed to be created on a lonely island?

I just don't think it goes with the whole theme. Maybe some sort of cave-system that you can dig as a shortcut, But that's just a shot in the dark, I don't even know if it'd make sense.

mobius187    29

Teleporters and portals have been suggested in the past, but I've never fancied them. They seem too much like a cheat. After all, part of the fun is gauging how far you can explore before needing to return home before nightfall. And by "return", I usually mean "run"... as I'll be running back to my base camp before darkness... usually passing spider nests at sunset just for an added thrill. :)

If you're seriously worried about not making it back home do what I've done, make small firepit camps for each island and drop a stack of logs and food next to them. That way if you find yourself unable to return to your base camp you can hunker down at one of these small camps and they'll already have fuel/food waiting for you there (no worries).

vadjok88    14

I think if something could be done to bunny-hole, so that could become a tunnel to another bunny-hole ?? How about that? And maybe same like with a TENT - option to cross the tunnel disappears after using it once or twice?

Excess    53

You can always use torches is you stray too far away. The game is about exploring, about getting caught naked in the middle of the night (dandytard's fiddley joke in 3, 2, 1...) and surviving it. Not about staying on the camp all day planting veggies. That's farmville :D

Guest Dandytard   
Guest Dandytard
You can always use torches is you stray too far away. The game is about exploring, about getting caught naked in the middle of the night (dandytard's fiddley joke in 3, 2, 1...) and surviving it. Not about staying on the camp all day planting veggies. That's farmville :D

You can survive being naked in the night.. but certain scars from it will stay with you forever.

It seems to bypass the "survival" aspect of the game and has been mentioned, turn the game into Farmville.

For a night excursion bring some food, stone and logs and just create a new fire ring.

My first night on the island I like to set up my normal log fire right next to a spider nest, so I can spend the night playing "spider party" and have some silk for continuing my journey the next day.

R__Man    11

A teleport system may be useful if/when the game starts spawning massive islands. Having some form of ruined portal that you can find in the wild and is linked to a different ruined portal would be nice.

But right now you can get to the other side of the map without running out of supplys so I don't much see the point.

Also, Dandy, I would love to see your modern day Meat Effigy.

Guest Dandytard   
Guest Dandytard
Also, Dandy, I would love to see your modern day Meat Effigy.

It would be a cloning machine, obviously. ;)

how about instand of a teleporter just something where like when u go to the map u can click on a place ... that u have been to befor so its on u map ... and u guy well just start auto walking there with out u having to guide them there that way u can like auto walk back to u camp and go after well doing so or w/e instad of having to sit here moving him all the way back

btw sorry for my **** grammar and spelling i know it sucks no reson ro comment on it

daveofnorway    11

Heh a random teleporter that you could craft would be amusing. Players would need to take enough supplies with them to make another small base and to generally survive just in case they end up somewhere very cut off. It would sure add another dimension to the latter game.

Ora    10

Running back to base camp before dark? Am I the only one here who just carries the resources to make a regular ol' campfire at all times and if I get caught out at night I just plop a campfire on the ground and spend the night there?

mobius187    29
Running back to base camp before dark? Am I the only one here who just carries the resources to make a regular ol' campfire at all times and if I get caught out at night I just plop a campfire on the ground and spend the night there?

It's kind of like a "mental" imperitive, like the thrill of seeing whether you'll be late or not. I used to do the same thing in Minecraft too... even when I didn't really need to run home. ;)

Ora    10
It's kind of like a "mental" imperitive, like the thrill of seeing whether you'll be late or not. I used to do the same thing in Minecraft too... even when I didn't really need to run home. ;)

Fair enough, I suppose. If I think I am close enough to my base camp I will make a similar run mostly because lighting up a fire pit costs less resources than creating a new campfire and getting it roaring, but I always have a campfire handy if I can't make it.

mobius187    29
Fair enough, I suppose. If I think I am close enough to my base camp I will make a similar run mostly because lighting up a fire pit costs less resources than creating a new campfire and getting it roaring, but I always have a campfire handy if I can't make it.

Yup. I have Wendy always carry a torch. I learned from (my) Wilson's fate... ;)

HolyMan504    10

Dear, Dandytard

The word of "Don't Starve" is already a magical place. In the real world today there aren't any spells that let you revive your self. There aren't any beefalo, house making pigs, or even tall birds. The idea of a transportation system is great! Your cave system idea was wonderful! I think both systems should be added to the game in future updates.

-HolyMan504

Ora    10

Just for the record, I am not in support of this teleportation idea. Part of the charm of the game is the danger involved in moving from place to place. Why today I used up one of my meat effigies for the first time because I had an unfortunate incident with a tentacle while traveling through a marsh. Being able to teleport wherever you please just kinda sounds like easy mode. If you are too lazy to walk in a game that is intended to be hardcore, bare-bones survival, I think you need to find a different game.

genocide    10

Although i do not really agree with the idea to implement a teleporter, i do think that anybody who tries to negate the idea by saying "it isn't realistic to the time period" is really offbase. There is an entire section of the craft table devoted to what would appear to be MAGIC. There is a monster that comes from the trees, and a krampus creature. They aren't going for realism, guys.

AbsolutValu    10

I recently started a new thread, but in case anyone is still reading this one, here's my take:

Ultimately, this game is about two things: Exploration, and Survival.

The endgame for survival requires a home base, there's really no two ways about it, you simply don't have enough room to take everything with you. You can build multiple homes, but why would you want to have a home that only has some of your stuff? For those that survive past Day 10, making camp becomes priority number 1.

The problem is, you can only stray so far away from camp - hence the problem. Probably the greatest aspect of this game is varied areas, each with specialized resources and enemies and thus exploration - FUN FUN! But 99.99% of the map is not within walking distance of your camp, let alone enough time to explore the areas and collect resources and get back! Even if you set up a makeshift camp, you'll want to get back to your home eventually, and then you're just back to square 1.

My idea/implementation: Make a stationary teleporting device. This device takes time and resources to operate, it won't save you if there are enemies chasing you. But it will allow you to set a marker to a location, allowing you to put one in your camp, and one in a location of your choosing. Then, let users build multiple of these devices, allowing them to chain these devices. Operating time and costs will require users to stray further and further from base, but still allow them to get back.

If you want to test this as a viable option, make it a special characteristic for a new avatar, and track who uses this avatar, but rest assured, everyone will.

I really do urge you to reconsider adding this to the game.

For the test maps I have been playing in recently...it takes 5 days straight to get from one end to the other. It is still managable for me but it does become a drag after a while.

If the final map will be something like the test maps a teleportation booth is probably a good idea. If wilson can resurrect himself why not a teleportation device?

The cost to make one should be extremely high though.. Like 10 planks 10 gold pieces and blueprint(made from paper + tall bird egg)

osadat    15

If you want to go exploring without worrying about not being able to get back just make 6-7 sleep rolls and sleep when it gets dark. Also bring plenty of food, a good weapon and armor and a back back. (some honeyed hams for quick health/hunger)

If you want to go exploring without worrying about not being able to get back just make 6-7 sleep rolls and sleep when it gets dark. Also bring plenty of food, a good weapon and armor and a back back. (some honeyed hams for quick health/hunger)

I have no issues with surviving the night or surviving in general away from camp forever. If you have seen the new test maps, beefalos are at the last location of the map. Let me show u

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?5171-Captain-Potato-s-Hardcore-Challenge-2-Mapping-the-Test-Maps

If I have a ready a awesome looking base I do not want to have to travel 1 full day from location to location all the time...I think it can create interesting experiences in game too :)

Teleportation should only be a reality if maps got really big.

I had two spider queens make it impossible for me to reach the Pig King and his little minions. My options were get rid of them or die trying. My ultimate-survival plan got turned on it's head because of these two stubborn queens. I got rid of them but they cost me an effigy that would've been useful in a subsequent hound attack. I would have NO INCENTIVE to deal with these queens if I had a teleporter.

We already have people complaining about how it's too easy to survive with never leaving your camp. A teleporter essentially extends your camp to include any resource you want. The more you force a player out of his camp, the more risks he needs to take, the harder it is for him to survive. That sounds like exactly the type of game Don't Starve is striving to be.

The teleporter will be, to Don't Starve campers, what the TV remote control was to couch-potatoes...