In my opinions hounds shouldn't be stronger, but just be more, I think there should be a hound wave for each player in the game. Same for giants, but they shouldn't be able to attack each other.

What do you guys think?

If I were balancing the game:

Enemies that get significant numbers (spiders, hounds, etc) would have no change in stats, but multiplicative boosts in numbers enabled through various tricks. Basically, the more players in the vicinity, the more enemies that spawn. (Treeguards too.)

Enemies that show up alone (mostly just giants) would still just be solo, but have increased stats that effectively multiply their threat. Not just health, but things like attack speed and stun time would be tweaked as well.

MacTusk & Co would be a mix of the two; MacTusk and Jr would get stat buffs like solo giants, but they'd bring more hounds, whose individual stats are unchanged.

If I were balancing the game:

Enemies that get significant numbers (spiders, hounds, etc) would have no change in stats, but multiplicative boosts in numbers enabled through various tricks. Basically, the more players in the vicinity, the more enemies that spawn. (Treeguards too.)

Enemies that show up alone (mostly just giants) would still just be solo, but have increased stats that effectively multiply their threat. Not just health, but things like attack speed and stun time would be tweaked as well.

MacTusk & Co would be a mix of the two; MacTusk and Jr would get stat buffs like solo giants, but they'd bring more hounds, whose individual stats are unchanged.

Exactly my thoughts my friend!

Hound waves:

(*number of hounds per. player* x *number of players*)

Example: 1 st vave, 4 players= 8 hounds

Giants:

(*Giant's health*x *number of players*)

Example:

Deerclops reg. health: 2,000

Deerclops, 4 players: 8,000

Dragonfly reg. health: 2,750

Dragonfly, 4 players: 11,000 ( :o this is somewhat OP)

Bearger, Goose/Moose reg. health: 3,000

Bearger, Goose/Moose, 4 players: 12,000 (Highest)

Basically hounds, yes they  will need balancing but Giants? No. Giants as we can see against 4 players can be crazy or even impossible. If taking them on would require serious tactics.

Hound waves:

Giants:

Example:

Basically hounds, yes they  will need balancing but Giants? No. Giants as we can see against 4 players can be crazy or even impossible. If taking them on would require serious tactics.

Maybe instead of a multiplier for each player, it's a fixed added amount? Say +1000/player. 

Or maybe there could be a chance for each player to get a giant, so the number of them would never be the same

It'd be a giant enemies with insane powers that destroy you and your base multiplied by 4

4 players - 4 bosses that can kill anything and you.

Maybe instead of a multiplier for each player, it's a fixed added amount? Say +1000/player. 

Alright let's see here...

Deerclops, 4 players: 6,000

Dragonfly, 4 players: 6750

Bearger, Goose/Moose, 4 players: 7,000 health

Seems okay but could be better.

Idea: An option to increase health of giants by x points (0-1,000 points of health increased per. player)

It'd be a giant enemies with insane powers that destroy you and your base multiplied by 4

4 players - 4 bosses that can kill anything and you.

Yeah I think you are right, but if players from each other are far and a dragonfly with 6000 health is following you what do you do?

either that or spend a winter setting up bird traps so you can catch snowbirds.

I usually use boomerangs but aye, can never have too many blowdarts.. plus it kills 2 birds with one... boomerang.. (sigh).. get feathers and spawn a krampus.

for the hounds, they should probably multiply by the number of players(not really multiply, actually. More like come the same amount, but for each of the palyers.)

For the giants, I think that they should remain the same(with maybe some tweaks to their atacking AI or something else, because the fights could be better). It would actually be kind of cool if instead of just spawning at the edge of the screen, the Giants wander about on the world leaving a trail of destruction, and eventually, finding a player.(specially because it would probably work with DST having mutiple parts of the world/the entire world working at once.)

Hound waves:

Giants:

Example:

This would be way too overpowered!!! Yes four people could gang up on it, but with that high of HP, I just feel its too much.. I like 

Yeah I think you are right, but if players from each other are far and a dragonfly with 6000 health is following you what do you do?

Run and scream!

I usually use boomerangs but aye, can never have too many blowdarts.. plus it kills 2 birds with one... boomerang.. (sigh).. get feathers and spawn a krampus.

I use Wickerbottom's Birds of the World and Sleepytime Stories to kill 20-30 birds in a small amount of time. Krampus spawns quite frequently, and if you're on day 100+ there is a chance of THREE KRAMPUS spawning! You'll want to make sure you have a Tam o'Shanter and something else to raise your sanity afterwards.

ANYWAYS, back on topic...You could do this in winter to make blowdarts for killing giants ;]

I agree that if they do a giant HP buff per player that it should be a set amount.

Or maybe there could be a chance for each player to get a giant, so the number of them would never be the same

This could be interesting, but rather difficult to deal with if more than one spawned at a time. Maybe an increased amount of giants per season?

You can. It's pretty hard. You have to get out before the ground pound.

And setting up bird traps in the winter isn't that hard...

Is it?

And what about hound's teeth? You can't get so many teeth in a so short time, but maybe you can use hound mounds in deserts...

I hope that this is a good place for my question (and apologies if it's been asked before)...

I started a server for 4 people.

3 of us started out in the game, which was then saved.

2 of us later came back to the same game.

My question is- which number, is the number of hounds that spawn based on?

The number that I initially put into the server info.

The number of people who start out playing the game,

The number of people actually IN the game, at the time of spawning?

Thanks in advance, for any helpful replies.

• Developer

@Fndsh1

>>The number of people actually IN the game, at the time of spawning?

This. Each player that is in the game will get their own amount of hounds, if they were around long enough to hear the warnings. The amount of hounds they get is based on their individual age so that a 'young' player doesn't get too many hounds to have a fair chance.

@Fndsh1

>>The number of people actually IN the game, at the time of spawning?

This. Each player that is in the game will get their own amount of hounds, if they were around long enough to hear the warnings. The amount of hounds they get is based on their individual age so that a 'young' player doesn't get too many hounds to have a fair chance.

Whoa whoa whoa. This is don't starve. Chances aren't supposed to be fair. They're supposed to be brutal and unforgiving!

Archived