Let's Play Adventures with Woodie and Lucy

MagicTurnip

Come along for the ride!

I've started up a Let's Play of Don't Starve, and I'm starting with Woodie. If I die as him, I may change characters, but for now, Woodie's standing strong.

There are three current episodes, and I upload a new one every day.

I'd love to have your input on the game if you end up watching! Feel free to give me suggestions on what to do, whether or not you enjoy my commentary, etc etc etc...

Or, just watch and enjoy as a fellow fan of this fantastic game!

Edited by MagicTurnip

Great opening! Really summed up the game well there. Should be interesting to see another player's approach to Woodie. He's got some of the best offensive capability in my opinion, but in exchange he really needs some forward planning to not stick yourself in a corner, especially if you incite his dark secret too quickly or without prior preparation for a recovery plan. :p

Anyways, I wish you a fruitful run! Seems like you've got a pretty good world going considering how quickly you found clockworks and pigs, my first two days have been forests, rocks and a tallbird and that's it. I'm hoping to at least get through Winter, but we'll see, this game loves to throw wrenches in the works at every turn. XD

Thank you, I'm grateful for the feedback! :D

In the newest episode I got a taste of his offensive capabilities, and I am AMAZED. Now if only I had some food stockpiled to use once he reverts...

Hope you've discovered more than forests and rocks by now. XD

Wow, learning something new about this game every day. Had no idea you could use caught butterflies to plant Flowers, that's pretty handy. XD

I know what you mean, I feel like I'll never stop learning new things about this game! @_@ I still haven't even touched the caves.

The Caves aren't too bad as long as you avoid extended contact with spiders, but the Ruins get super nasty. I absolutely hated dealing with Splumonkeys, and the shadow creatures come after you in droves when the nightmare cycle hits its peak. The place is literally a death trap for the unprepared XD If I can, I think I'll try and do some spelunking on my playthrough if I find a sinkhole any time soon.

Always have something to light the way, torches are a bad idea since they don't last long and don't actually give much light off, so craft a Miner Hat and bring 2 or 3 fireflies to recharge it until you find Light Bulbs down below, which can be used to make a Lantern, which is also great for a light if your character has their hands free.

It's never a bad idea to bring a healthy supply of food down with you, though if you're going to bring anything made of meat, steer way clear of the Bunnymen, they're usually peaceful but as soon as they smell meatballs or even just a morsel on you, they'll chase you down in a pack.

Sanity also becomes a big issue the longer you stay down there, so if you can craft a food that restores both sanity and hunger in a decent quantity, say, Taffy since you've already got a Bee Box handy, you'll probably be golden.

So in short, a very basic "Spelunking Kit" would be as follows:

• Miner Hat
  • 2-3 Fireflies (as backup fuel for Miner Hat until you get some Light Bulbs collected)
  • Hefty Food Supply (Taffy is recommended for doubled benefit of sanity restoration)
  • Lots of Protective Gear (At least one Log Suit, one Football Helmet and one Spear to fight off tenacious attackers)

And I'm no expert spelunker by any means myself, I just like heading down there once I've upgraded WX-78 excessively and have gears to spare as all-in-one restoratives. Feels a little cheap, but the underground is a nasty place so I'll take what I can get down there. I'm sure others have better suggestions as well, so if anyone is a seasoned spelunker feel free to add onto that item list! :razz:

P.S. I'm not sure how the full moon affects Woodie underground, I'm actually interested how that works now, since you'd get night vision you'd be alright, but recovering your sanity down in the caves might be particularly challenging.

Edited by Quady14

Lucy only feels the strong desire to chop anything made of wood, so I think she would be all in favor of chopping him down. However, he can make a good bodyguard, so it's probably better to keep him around for now. :p

He could even do well fighting off hounds for you, especially when they start coming in larger packs, if one of them pauses to bark near him, they'll likely get aggressive at him instead of you and bite him, quickly bringing down his piney rage upon them.

What a coincidence that you would mention him fighting off hounds, because that's exactly what happens in Episode 8! :D

Hard to believe he can one-hit-KO them. o_O I'm actually really glad he's around...with I could get a treeguard to help me out in my other file!

Oh boy, Winter's arrived. I'd be a little worried if I were you! XD Definitely a good time to shift priority towards making at least one other insulating item in addition to the ear muffs. They aren't bad and with a thermal stone you'll be fine as long as you can build a bonfire to keep you warm and your thermal stone charged/burn your surroundings with the torch for some quick temporary heat, but the ear muffs are one of the weaker warmth-providing items. I'd definitely gather at the very least silk and beefalo wool to craft a proper Winter Hat.

I just survived an early (Day 9) Winter as Wendy with just a WInter Hat and the Thermal Stone, though I had to take a lot of breaks to warm up next to a bonfire as I described above. Worst part is I spent most of it trying to make a Puffy Vest, and by the time I had the materials to craft it I was on Day 25 and my time in Winter was already over! Talk about a lot of struggle for nothing. At least next Winter I'll be more than prepared for it. :p

The early Winter occurred due to one of those blasted Winter traps in case you were curious. I even knew it was a trap but looked it up to make sure and read on the wiki it would be deactivated if you opened or hammered the Ice Box before the Chest. I can now confirm that is not true at all and that you should just steer clear of that set piece whenever you find it. XD Don't believe everything you read on the wiki is the takeaway from that one I guess. Either way, good luck with Winter. My Woodie is about to enjoy the blazing heat of Summer. Ooooooooh Summer. :(

I should be more worried! Why is winter so cruel? T_T Summer too! I can't think of a single planet that has such inhumane temperature spikes.

Oof, a day 9 winter? Congrats on surviving that, I don't know if I could have done it. I like the free gold and gear from the thermometer and ice box, but I stay 100% away from that chest. It means bad things for sure!

I wish you luck with summer! The Ice Cube hat was a lifesaver in my first summer; definitely a must-build.

By the way, a quick poll for anyone following along with the series:

If/When Woodie dies (Hopefully not! D: ), would you like:

A. The series to end with him

B. A new file with Woodie again

C. A new file with a new character (if so, which character?)

Also,  :wickerbottomthanks: for watching!

Edited by MagicTurnip

New file with a new character for sure, it's a slow paced game, so it's better to spice things up when you can, and a new character is a pretty effective way to do so.

Also I have to admit I have a bit of a bias against the ice cube hat, only because most of my files that have made it to Summer have been as WX, and the ice cube hat constantly drips on him, causing damage, so it's either die slowly from the ice cube or die quickly from the Summer heat. Then I found that keeping two thermal stones in the ice box actually works very well as a substitute for the ice cube, and with a Summer Frest taking good care of keeping you cool in the meantime, you're golden for Summer. I'd like to make one of those floral shirts one time too, just because I've never made one before and I think it'd be hilarious to see Woodie wearing a floral pattern. XD Can you imagine Woodie going on vacation in Hawaii? He'd end up getting arrested trying to cut down palm trees or something!

• Like 1

New file with a new character for sure, it's a slow paced game, so it's better to spice things up when you can, and a new character is a pretty effective way to do so.

Also I have to admit I have a bit of a bias against the ice cube hat, only because most of my files that have made it to Summer have been as WX, and the ice cube hat constantly drips on him, causing damage, so it's either die slowly from the ice cube or die quickly from the Summer heat. Then I found that keeping two thermal stones in the ice box actually works very well as a substitute for the ice cube, and with a Summer Frest taking good care of keeping you cool in the meantime, you're golden for Summer. I'd like to make one of those floral shirts one time too, just because I've never made one before and I think it'd be hilarious to see Woodie wearing a floral pattern. XD Can you imagine Woodie going on vacation in Hawaii? He'd end up getting arrested trying to cut down palm trees or something!

Sounds good! I think I might try to re-tackle Adventure Mode so I can use one of the two characters I haven't unlocked yet...

Huh, I had never thought about that issue! Poor WX...imagine starting in spring as him. o_O I usually only make one thermal stone, but thinking about it, two makes so much more sense! Less waiting time! Thanks for your usual brilliance.

Woodie in a floral shirt in Hawaii...I don't even. XD

Believe me I don't have to imagine starting Spring with WX. Spring rain, combined with my stubbornness to not build a base until I'm absolutely sure it's an opportune location (can take like 10 days X_X) has killed me once or twice before I even got to start a proper base, I'm sad to admit.

And yes, it seems some of the best methods of survival require the destruction, imprisonment or otherwise cruelty towards the cuter inhabitants of the world. If I make the Old Bell I try to do it right before the second full moon so I don't have to spend longer than I have to away from Glommer. I still feel awful anyways, and the fact that killing Glommer is an automatic Krampus attack only makes me feel like an even worse person. XD

Edited by Quady14

Believe me I don't have to imagine starting Spring with WX. Spring rain, combined with my stubbornness to not build a base until I'm absolutely sure it's an opportune location (can take like 10 days X_X) has killed me once or twice before I even got to start a proper base, I'm sad to admit.

And yes, it seems some of the best methods of survival require the destruction, imprisonment or otherwise cruelty towards the cuter inhabitants of the world. If I make the Old Bell I try to do it right before the second full moon so I don't have to spend longer than I have to away from Glommer. I still feel awful anyways, and the fact that killing Glommer is an automatic Krampus attack only makes me feel like an even worse person. XD

Ah yes, dying pre-base. XD There was a time I was determined to have BOTH beefalo and the pig king adjacent to my base. That didn't really go so well...

Getting rained on as WX is pretty scary. o_O I hate that "taking damage" noise.

You're so lucky to have gotten Glommer as your buddy! The one time I got the flower, I had to flee from dogs and never saw what happens to poor glommer...yet, the flower never rotted. ;_; I think it had something to do with a glitch in one of my mods...

• Like 1