NOTE: I'm gonna start putting the video links within spoiler tags so the pages don't extend down too long, and maybe not bog down the page so much when it's loading, (though I think it'll do that anyways loading the data) hope this makes navigating a little more convenient for everyone!

Hey everyone! It's been a loooong while since I've popped on the forums, and in the first place I've done a lot more lurking than I have actual posting, but after a lot of recent obsessing over Don't Starve I'm going to try being a little more active in my contributions to the forums, both within this thread and on the forums at large. As to the reason why I've decided to start up a Don't Starve video series, it's been a long while, I wanted to make a return to creating gameplay videos, and this felt like a comfortable, relaxing game to do so with since I've been playing so much of it already. That isn't to say I won't make some horrendously dumb mistakes from time to time, but I like to think I'm competent enough most of the time. ;)

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 01

This first episode may be a little flimsy as I've gathered a lot of rust from months of relative inactivity in the commentary department, and I still need to tweak some aspects of my current setup, (I've got two microphones coming in the mail and I'm hoping that at least one will serve me better for future voice audio quality and clarity) but hopefully with feedback, suggestions and certainly requests on what I could do to make my gameplay better/more exciting, I can make this a worthwhile series that you all can enjoy watching as much as I'll enjoy making it! Expect more updates soon! If this thing lasts long enough, who knows, I'll probably rope a couple of friends over to join me for Don't Starve Together granted I've got a good setup for live commentary by that point!

To close out this first post, what are your impressions of the first video? I know my stumbling commentary over the first day of gameplay is hardly edge-of-your-seat thrilling, but what do you think about the format? Is just doing a single day too little content? Should I go for two days instead or maybe alternate? Is the title okay or just kind of dumb? Is video/audio quality clear enough to be enjoyable? Thanks for your help guys, I look forward to hearing your responses!

VIDEO ARCHIVE (links to all future videos will be compiled here for viewer convenience)

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 01

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 02

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 03

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 04

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 05

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 06

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 07

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 08

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 09

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 10

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 11

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 12

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 13

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 14

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 15

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 16

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 17

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 18

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 19

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 20

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 21

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 22

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 23

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 24

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 25

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 26

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 27

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 28

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 29

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 30

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 31

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 32

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 33

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 34

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 35

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 36

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Days 37-49 (Oops)

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 50

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 51 (Audio Only)

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 52

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 53

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 54

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 55

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 56

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 57

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 58

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 59

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 60

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 61 (Audio Only)

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 62

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 63

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 64

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 65

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 66

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 67

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Days 68-69

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 70

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 71

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 72

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Days 73 & 74

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Days 75 & 76

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Adventure Mode Day 1

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Adventure Mode Day 2

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Adventure Mode Day 3

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Adventure Mode Day 4

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Adventure Mode Day 5

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Adventure Mode Day 6

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Adventure Mode Day 7

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Adventure Mode Day 8

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 76.5

Edited by Quady14
  • Like 2

Updating for today with Day 02 of my Woodie playthrough! Apologies for the echoing game audio, I overlooked keeping the volume low or wearing headphones. I won't make the same mistake twice! D:

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 02

Also, just to let you guys know, I've been whipping up some art for the video title cards aside from the present one for Woodie. I've got a Photoshop file which contains the various characters and backgrounds which I can switch about as needed to reflect the video's contents, be it Winter or Summer, spelunking in the Caverns or deep down in the treacherous Ruins, and even if I have guests for multiplayer in the future! I just thought it'd help add some variety to the videos as the environment and character focus changes. Here's some sample art to demonstrate (images are large so I put them inside of a spoiler tag):

A Don't Starve A Day Title Cards

blREjBG.jpg

TsAplCY.jpg

blKuqbw.jpg

Edited by Quady14
  • Like 1

I have a little bonus video I just wanted to post here that's unrelated to the series, but I think you would all enjoy in the meantime. I'm still a total mess when it comes to surviving the Summer, so this little freakout happened during a stream I did tonight on my main file with WX-78, in case anybody was curious how that file is going.

Fair warning though! Lower your volume around 1:06, I fell next to the mic and kind of sobbed into it post-near disaster which came out super loud. Also some vulgar language later on, if you mind that sort of thing.

Quady vs. A Summer Wildfire

After that miraculous save, I got killed by the Dragonfly after failing to have enough ash and in general flubbing my use of the Old Bell, but luckily resurrected close enough to my base to bounce back and make it the rest of the way through the season. I'm currently on day 79, which is the longest I've survived yet, so some pretty exciting stuff going on with that playthrough. I may post more bonus videos like that from time to time just to spice things up. :grin:

Edited by Quady14

Day 03 is up! Probably set up base way too early since I don't know where some of the more important resource areas will be yet, but I think I'll be able to make it work out if I stay diligent and prepare well before-hand. Plus it'll hopefully keep the series interesting, even if it leads up to a silly and probably unnecessary demise. :razz:

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 03

Edited by Quady14

Day 04 is a go! Little slow on this one, primarily another foraging day, but it's necessary. We're gonna need a good amount of rocks to build certain structures, and in particular I shoot for building a Crock Pot this episode, which is a lot earlier than I do on an average playthrough. This might be a good thing, it might not, it's too early for me to tell, but I love the Crock Pot so I view it as a welcome early addition to the base.

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 04

Tomorrow I'm gonna fill my belly with something cooked from our wonderful new food-sciencing device, craft a thermal stone just to have one, and either trek out in search of pigs and beefalo, or delve back into the swamplands to incite spider-merman-tentacle warfare and harvest spider silk and whatever other goodies come our way. Might even start gathering up fish and frogs legs for some tasty fishsticks! Either way, should be a good time. :grin:

(And then none of that happened because DISASTER!)

Edited by Quady14

So scratch last update's plans, this episode I encounter a very unpleasant turn of events within my own base! I really can't say much else, I think this episode kind of speaks for itself. Needless to say, I'll be spending next episode in a struggle to bounce back from this episode's events.

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 05

Edited by Quady14

Here we go, will I be able to bounce back from last episode's chaotic events? If froggle bunwiches have anything to say about it I think we're gonna be alright. Delicious, delicious froggle bunwiches.

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 06

Tomorrow I'll probably make an ice box to preserve our food, then finally try to set out and explore the area. See ya then!

Edited by Quady14

We're one full week in! Had a bit of a rough patch but we made due. Today I expand our base with some more sciencey goodness, then rid the area of our pesky clockwork neighbors. Not too shabby, but we still need to at least start harvesting ice and get some silk for bird traps (gonna try to make a Summer Frest ASAP)

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 07

Edited by Quady14

Kind of an uneventful episode, I ran into a Lureplant which I'm avoiding for now, grabbed another bunch of frogs legs because the Frogs vs. Bees war seems to be an ongoing event, which means plenty of food for good ol' Woodie, and I DID find one of the Things for the Teleportato, but otherwise it's a pretty slow day unfortunately. Still gotta grab that backpack I carelessly abandoned. XD

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 08

Edited by Quady14

What a horrible night to have a(nother) curse!

Yeah, forgot about that whole unavoidable Werebeaver on the full moon issue. My bad! In fact everything about this video and the next one are all my bad. I did bad folks, I did bad.

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 09

Edited by Quady14

Continuing the Werebeaver Fever this episode as Woodie dishes out a little havoc on the world. I also find the Wooden Thing (base for the Teleportato) and battle the Clockwork creeps guarding over it, also marking our first encounter with the Clockwork Bishops, if you aren't a Werebeaver or otherwise well-prepared for combat, their ranged attack can be a huge pain. Luckily Werebeaver doesn't feel pain (or if it does it offsets it by ravenously eating wood) so Woodie bulldozes the lot of them! Only problem: Woodie is hungry, weak and mostly insane again. D:

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 10

Edited by Quady14

Finally ran into everyone's good buddy Chester! I may be going hungry and halfway insane yet again but at least now I've got a companion out here in the harsh wilderness. I even find another Teleportato piece, which always is good news.

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 11

Edited by Quady14

Interesting choice with the post commentary, but I think it definitely works to your advantage! You have a great voice for Let's Playing, by the way. Hope you're enjoying Woodie's unique qualities. :D Sorry 'bout the lightning tragedy...I've had that happen far too many times, with EVERYTHING in my base burned down. D:

Thanks MagicTurnip! I appreciate the complement! And yes, I love Woodie, especially his tree chopping skills, takes out so much of the tedium of resource collection, at least when it comes to logs 'n planks. And yeah, too many bad memories of losing a good base setup to stray lighting strikes in my early days of Don't Starving. That's the nice thing about learning how valuable the lightning rod is, I suppose, but every once in a while you just forget to do it before disaster strikes XD This time was relatively merciful though, so I was more relieved than anything, though having to rebuild an alchemy engine is a pain in the butt.

As for today's episode, welp... I'd just like to apologize to Tallbirds everywhere. D:

Also I forgot how to make froggle bunwiches, I was just having one of those scatterbrain days. X_X

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 13

Edited by Quady14

Today I dine upon Guilt Meatballs and Fishsticks. Delicious!

Also gave a little shout-out to MagicTurnip for the tip on planting flowers, linked to your playthrough in the video description over on Youtube, hope it gets you a little traffic if anybody even still watches my stuff! XD

Today I dine upon Guilt Meatballs and Fishsticks. Delicious!

Also gave a little shout-out to MagicTurnip for the tip on planting flowers, linked to your playthrough in the video description over on Youtube, hope it gets you a little traffic if anybody even still watches my stuff! XD

(>T_T)> I am touched. Thank you for sending your viewers to little ol' me. You really are a sunbro.

Edited by MagicTurnip

I have some more bonus stream highlights I recorded last night for you guys, check em out if you're interested! I only linked two here, but there's a good four or so I put up on Youtube, and a couple more on my twitch channel. These were some of the short but sweet highlights though, so here you go!

Dr. Wave vs. The Gobbler Triplets

Treeguard Family Reunion 2014

The character featured is named Dr. Wave, made by Mr. Hastings, you can find it on Don't Starve's Steam Workshop if you want to try him out for yourself! Even though he's impressively quick, he still manages to be challenging in a couple different ways. His metabolism is very fast, and he can't go out very long before his hunger begins to plummet, which holds him back from long trips despite his insane speed, and his capacity for combat is about as limited as Wendy's, so the guy isn't much good for direct confrontations.Overall a very fun character.

Exploring the swamplands a little more and collecting some reeds to make papyrus for a Bird Cage, then after some good ol' tree choppin' I test out the Pan Flute in an attempt to get crimson feathers from redbirds for our Summer Frest. Unfortunately all they give is morsels. D:

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 15

Also, huzzah! We've reached the promised land of PAGE 2!

Edited by Quady14

I think my plan is gonna be to make it a full year's worth of seasons if I can stave off death that long, then I'll activate the Teleportato and switch to a new character. That's if I don't die first, just so the series doesn't get dull.

Anyways, next episode's comin' up now!

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 16

Not the most exciting day, though it's getting dangerously close to Summer and I'm still without that Summer Frest. No worries though, I'll make due somehow. Also I find another Teleportato piece. Rockin'!

A Don't Starve A Day - Woodie Day 18

Edited by Quady14