The Official Wurder Character Mod

Oh, another idea: you could make a nightmare form for him( like in the William mod from Mr. Tiddles), like, when his sanity is low, he become slow and powerful, also his face could be like the face from The Scarecrow(Batman)( well, it just has to be frightening, the face was an exemple)

One could do that for pretty much every character...

Although, since our straw friend is in reality an ancient creature... if it happens, don't link it to sanity. Nor full moon. Hopefully nightmare cycle

EDIT: didn't read the giant thing. But still, would be awesome to see different effects based on nightmare cycle

The Art Development has begun.

The_Art_has_Started.png

Also what Musical Instrument should I voice Wurder with? I was leaning towards a Musical Saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmft674XPC0

This video is a bit loud! So be careful!

Here's a more clear sound byte! 

https://www.freesound.org/people/DJ%20Burnham/sounds/80692/

It's annoying to listen to straight - but you'll get the gist.

I was also thinking of using a Banjo, or another instrument from the Bayou. Have you ever entered the caves? What's the instrument they use during the loading screen? That could work.

I think the Musical Saw sounds great.

no, I'm meant anything, like and art update, new idea, etc. And not just from the modder, but from anyone that have an idea

There is an Update - I have to edit the main post but here have some Art right now to tide you over. He's coming along great!

Wurder.png

Also Wurder is getting a Scythe!

The Scythes mechanics are going to be as follows

Circular AoE Sweep Attack with a certain range, any grass/twigs or anything harvestable is going to drop on the floor making him hands down the most efficient farmer in the game, and also the only character with a basic ranged attack!

Seeing as how unique his scythe is going to be as a mechanic - I'm giving it upgrades to help Wurder in the long game! Every Scythe upgrade is based off a giant, you can only have one scythe so choose wisely!

• A scythe that harvests every cut grass/twig/fruit or veggie in the circular AoE and places the items into your inventory. Also nullifies fire weakness. (Dragonfly Scales) [Makes Wurder better at being Wurder!]

"Stupid machines, who's o-obsolete now!?"

• A scythe that has improved circular AoE sweep damage and attack speed. Also grants very slow passive health regeneration. (Deerclops Eye) [Hound attacks, Schmound attacks. Boss monsters with minions!? Nope!]

"It's moving and watching on it's own!"

• A scythe that doubles as a walking cane. Circular AoE Sweep puts out fire, cools you off and knocks enemies back! (Goose/Moose Down Feathers) [Helps alot with Wurders most difficult season, and hey extra move-speed!]

"I'm glad I have a brain! I think..."

• A scythe that prevents sanity loss while equipped. (Bearger Fur)

"I miss Teddy." 

IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS RELATED TO BALANCE PLEASE MAKE ME AWARE!

Also I'm getting help from the absolutely WONDERFUL @Vivalavie in doing the Scythes art!

One of the artists from Up & Away and the Hero in the Dark mods you can find at the top of the mod section!

Show them love! I know I will for helping me with this! (We want that little wing there to flap on the dragonfly scythe)

Scythe.png

Doesn't that look AMAZING!? I am so happy with them!

Also check out the art @The Letter W drew of Wurder, I love it so much!

Wurder.jpg

ok i FINALLY finished this thing (took a hell of  a long time...=) )

attachicon.gifwurder.png

EEEEEE OH MY GOD!!! THAT IS SO WONDERFUL! Thank you so much! Wurder himself is a bit of a neater more well kept scarecrow but who's to say I wont make a second scarecrow in the future that looks more like that! WITH THE STRETCHY ARMS! HAHAHA I am so happy about that!

You made my day seeing that : )

I sure hope you DON'T use this instrument. Coraline uses this one as her voice from my own, toy nonetheless, accordion.

I was leaning more towards bird calls or the musical saw! I may find some other instrument too, how does a clarinette sound to you guys?

hey looks great! but.. well, you know... will you make the mod for ROG and vanilla? I really want to play... also, will you make the stuffing/ crow thing?

As for the crow, I would like to think he lives under Wurders Shirt inside him and his head, the only exit point on Wurders head being underneath the bowler hat - so when he eats fruit - it goes to the bird, the bird eats it and out come the seeds. Though if you're talking about the crows coming down - I will implement this though it won't be in the official post or on the steam workshop information - so you're one of the special few who gets to know about it before playing >.>

He will have the grass stuffing as this is necessary  to making the Down Feather Scythe version work.

humm, but I was talking of other thing, the crow thing is: when he kills a crow he gain sanity and says: That one I scared for good! stuffing thing is about upgrading the stuffing, like, some stuffing types, they would be in the armor slot, but would have different perks( I said in the armour slot, but maybe you do another one, but the armour slot is easier) but it not cancels the "eating grass HP bonus", no, the stuffing is a craftble item and would work along the grass. and the ROG, is because I don't have ROG, but I want to play with him so much

humm, but I was talking of other thing, the crow thing is: when he kills a crow he gain sanity and says: That one I scared for good! stuffing thing is about upgrading the stuffing, like, some stuffing types, they would be in the armor slot, but would have different perks( I said in the armour slot, but maybe you do another one, but the armour slot is easier), and the ROG, is because I don't have ROG, but I want to play with him so much

He will be available for both Vanilla and RoG. I tend to find that some other character mods are oversaturated with too many items - or the characters are extremely dependant on items. I would like to avoid this with the different grass types in the armor slot. Personally I'd like to keep 1-2 items at most and keep the characters rather simple to understand - yet their mechanics make them complex. (The only example I can find where this does work is with Writhe. Look him up.)

Some perfect examples of Klei's mechanics following what I said is with Woodie and Wendy's powers. One Item, lots of applications.

In Vanilla the Scythe will be upgradeable as well using different items aside from giant drops (Such as Tentacle Spots or items from the caves) - and Wurder will still have the positive grass eating,bird cage mechanics and the weakness to fire/food limitations that he has now. I am dedicated to making sure Wurder is playable in any iteration of the game by any person!

Also about the crows: Yes. That is going to be a thing.

He will be available for both Vanilla and RoG. I tend to find that some other character mods are oversaturated with too many items - or the characters are extremely dependant on items. I would like to avoid this with the different grass types in the armor slot. Personally I'd like to keep 1-2 items at most and keep the characters rather simple to understand - yet their mechanics make them complex. (The only example I can find where this does work is with Writhe. Look him up.)

Some perfect examples of Klei's mechanics following what I said is with Woodie and Wendy's powers. One Item, lots of applications.

In Vanilla the Scythe will be upgradeable as well using different items aside from giant drops (Such as Tentacle Spots or items from the caves) - and Wurder will still have the positive grass eating,bird cage mechanics and the weakness to fire/food limitations that he has now. I am dedicated to making sure Wurder is playable in any iteration of the game by any person!

Also about the crows: Yes. That is going to be a thing.

I already said you're awesome? because you're awesome! maybe, if you want, you can make other scythes for the vanilla, since the original scythes have that unique thing( just look at them, they're awesome and mix perfectly with the itens, the vanilla itens would not have that chemistry), and about the stuffing thing, understood, it would be complex. and again, you're awesome,

I already said you're awesome? because you're awesome! maybe, if you want, you can make other scythes for the vanilla, since the original scythes have that unique thing( just look at them, they're awesome and mix perfectly with the itens, the vanilla itens would not have that chemistry), and about the stuffing thing, understood, it would be complex. and again, you're awesome,

I'll have to mail Vivalavie and work out the mechanics before I ask them to draw anything - thanks for the idea though!

If you want to help me you could always look up some items from Vanilla Don't Starve and point out which ones would be cool applied to a scythe and what mechanics they could possibly have! If you've got the time I'd love to hear your ideas!

I just saw the front page again, and, since he's a coward, his sanity is a little high

Indeed - I like to think he counteracts it with slight dapperness. (He's a pretty neat and tidy scarecrow!) I may push it down to 100 or 75 but I don't want him to have shadow monsters attacking him after one night. (I recently played a mod where a character has 50 sanity - not fun.) 

Also thank you. :-)

I'm flattered at the mention and at the instrument choice; I play clarinet. :9

I did not know that, but wonderful! I also think it would just suit Wurders personality perfectly - and also his tone of voice. I'm not talking bad on clarinets but their... fruity notes and patterns just work with a character largely based around eating fruits and vegetables.

A better scythe: it just have a little more attack power, it's 4 flint and a rope to put it together, very basic
The life leeching scythe: it leech some life on hit, BUT it leech less than the Bat Bat, its easier to make too, just a red gem and 2 nightmare fuel, no need to fear death now!
The sanity scythe: it not anulates the sanity loss, but gives small sanity boost, it's just a scythe with 12 flowers, because everyone need to fight monsters and smell good!
The regal scyhte: it have more attack power AND put the farmed itens( fruits, cut grass, etc) automatically in the inventory, it's a scythe and 3 gold, that's good for the back pain
The returning scythe: one scythe that you can throw and it will come back, it will cut every thing in its way and attack everything too, don't go as far as the boomerang though, also do less damage, this time I get that bird
I have said a lot of ideas, but you don't need to use them all, I just thought they weren't good, but I think you/me/someone you come with more ideas( and better ones)

Alot of good ideas

Let's see if we can break down these ideas to their core themes:

One caveat, Wurder is only supposed to have one scythe as it is the core item his character is designed around - building multiple would make the original feel far less special.

A basic scythe, which goes into a stronger scythe.

From there it branches off into two points - you can have the ultimate in combat capability or the ultimate in farming capability:

Wurder_Scythes.png

Just a couple quick sketches and concepts - with their progression by machine in Vanilla as well. Hope you enjoy how I've handled your ideas!

It's great! really, it's like a RPG char system, but in an item, dude, if you make a game, I would buy it. And should have a way to go back to the upgraded scythe, if one want to have the other branch. But remember to make the scythes in some that one version crashes with the other, because some smarty head will try to have both mods and it will be a little easier to have the ROG scythes( maybe the vanilla don't work in ROG, but I don't know, so...)

EEEEEE OH MY GOD!!! THAT IS SO WONDERFUL! Thank you so much! Wurder himself is a bit of a neater more well kept scarecrow but who's to say I wont make a second scarecrow in the future that looks more like that! WITH THE STRETCHY ARMS! HAHAHA I am so happy about that!

well thank you i will be making a silhouette and a small portrait for this guy if you

will want to use it some day =)

Archived