Sign in to follow this  
Knallis

Close Calls and other interesting stories

Knallis    15

Hello everyone! I have been playing Don't Starve for only a little while now, and I am enjoying it a lot, and I'm sure we've had some interesting things happen to us. I'd like to share one, and hopefully there are others with their own to tell!

Here is a close call that I had, a moment where I REALLY should have died, but survived on dumb luck.

So I was out in the grasslands harvesting manure when it began to get dark, so I had Willy set up her fire and began to hear the calls of hounds (which I originally thought were wild boars). I switched my backpack out for some armor only to find it was about to break. So I made some more, but didn't have a chance to put it on when the boars attacked me in the dead of night. At first I thought it would just be 2 or 3, no big deal, but there was like six of them! In one bite my armor was broken and I was being ganged up on and before I knew it I was down to 4 health, so even after putting on my new suit of armor I was just about a goner! I started running around my camp fire, trying not to get bit and wondering how on earth I was going to get out of this because I really, really didn't want to restart after finally getting past day 6 for the first time, (and up to day 24!)

But there was hope, a graveyard find, an Amulet, but it was in my backpack! I'd have to pick it up, put it on, put on the amulet, and hope I can still somehow win the fight after resurrecting! Slim chances...

But that's when a miracle happened.

I saw some of the hounds suddenly rush upwards, and then I saw a glow, and I went to investigate. The hounds, apparently of the flame variety (I didn't even know about them until I looked this up), had started attacking a spiders nest, lit it on fire, and then that lit one of the beefaloos on fire, and then the whole herd completely flipped their lids and charged. I was terrified that they were going to attack me, but instead they just tore the hounds apart, and the spiders, and then returned to their business.

Then dawn came and me, heart racing, just stared at the screen in disbelief. It was suddenly over so quickly, and not only was I still alive, but up on 12 pieces of meat, some spider web, and 2 red gems.

And that is how I didn't starve!

Rayze Darr    14

It was one of my first playthroughs of the game. I, Wilson, was on one of many smaller islands that inhabited the land in which I was placed. I was still very new, as stated, so my main goal of this run was experimentation. I had learned many secrets in the run, including how to acquire proper armor and weaponry, the most efficient sources of starting fires for the night, mastery of intercepting Jackalopes as they scurry home, and the best ways to down the nearby spider nests. The last of these came recently, and I spent many a night looking over my Alchemy Machine, debating on the best use of all of the silk I had thus far gathered.

Two items had stuck out to me. The first was the Miner Hat, an excellent source of travelling light that would allow me to both see in the dark and hold a weapon. I wanted to learn its secrets: how long it lasted and how effective it was. One of the ingredients was a Firefly, a creature that I had often seen on previous plays, but had nary a clue where to find. To capture these, though, I properly assumed the requirement of a Bug Net. The second item that popped out to me was the Fishing Rod. I knew of many sources of water, one of which being behind my very camp, and I was curious if fish would be a more efficient source of food than the rabbits.

The next day I gathered some gold from a nearby quarry and researched both these items, finding myself beyond disappointment when I discovered the inability to use the Fishing Rod in the ocean. I checked my map for any signs of a proper fishing spot and saw a smaller patch of water on a separate island, about a day's walk from my campsite. I prepared for the trip, gathering up a multitude of Morsels as well as a fresh new Spear, and one morning decided it time to adventure... for science!

My journey to the water hole was shorter than I thought, and I arrived mere moments before dusk, having to carefully cut through a dangerous swampland to reach my destination. There it was, a "w" of separated water. I began plotting setting up my new camp in this spot, should this work, and ran the ideas through my head as I equipped my Fishing Rod. Nothing. I was in utter dismay - after all of that travel, I was to return home empty handed?! It was infuriating, but I didn't have time to sulk. The night sky had turned a dull orange, and time was running short. I set up a small campfire and prepared to wait for dawn, where I would return to my camp having gained nothing but a food shortage and the slightest hint of a beard. Night fell.

Green? What was this glow, I wondered? I had the supplies for a torch and promptly used them to investigate the disturbance just out of my field of view. Upon arrival, I saw not one, not two, but four small patches of glowing green dots. Fireflies! I had all but forgotten! Building another fire, I quickly equipped my Bug Net, having finally found a source of good news. I captured all four insects by the time the sun appeared on the horizon, braving the eternal darkness in one case and taking something of an injury by an unknown predator, but it was all worth it.

When morning showed itself, I began my trek home, a smile on my face. I made it halfway there when I reached the swamp once more. There, I noticed something I hadn't before: a pond! Could it be...? I dug through my backpack, breaking out the Fishing Rod I had all but given up on and, sure enough, I found myself, at last, able to fish! Many of them got away, but in the end I reeled in 4 of the little guys. Enough, at least, to test out their food supply. I had made great time, and noticed that I could probably make it back to my camp before night fell. I prepared for the walk back and sullied over to the frog which had watched my endeavors the whole time. Then, the unexpected - the frog attacked me! Its tongue lashed out, longer than even my own body, and slapped me across the cheek! My health was already low from the previous night, so instinctively, I ran.

At last, I lost the frog on the final bridge that lead to camp. My health was all but depleted, but home was in smelling distance. It would be nice to finally be able to rest at my own campfire. I heard something, though, just as the sky began to to darken. Growl. Ruff. Grrr. What was out there? These sounds were familiar, but I could not remember from whence they came. I ignored them and continued to walk across the bridge. Suddenly then, I saw something come at me from the other side, between me and the landmass that would lead home... I saw a hound! I managed to dodge to one side, digging in my bag for that Spear I had made...

... My Spear! Could it be... I had forgotten it at camp?! Now panic set in, as the dog scurried behind me. It bit rabidly at the open air where I had stood a fraction of a second ago, stopping to bark furiously. I saw camp and ducked in, past the protective barrier of Evergreens I had planted. Surely, if my small body could barely fit through the trees, the large dogs would become stuck!

I was wrong. One from each unprotected corner, three hounds all inched into my campsite. I knew the best idea would be to run, if not for the fact that night had now fallen. I barely had enough time to throw a single log onto my campfire, and the hounds would barely be seen stalking me from the edge of the darkness. Simultaneously, the three of them rushed in. I held my ax high, it being the only thing I had that could defend me. I swung at the dog on my right, stunning it just as the one to my new left leaped at me with his jaws open. I backstepped, dodging him and falling into the wide mouth of the hound behind me. I fell as the beasts circled over me. As I did, I saw the Fireflies release, hovering over my dying body, a reminder that this trip was not a failure. I had set out with a goal. I had gotten not only what I set out for, but far more.

...and in my last moments, I had made it home.

Knallis    15

Here lies Wilson, who died as he lived -- buggy.

Yeah hounds are nasty. I hadn't the slightest idea how to deal with them when I first started playing--I thought they were boars you had to tame in order to turn into pigmen, since I'd see the pigmen in the trailer video.

I love fireflies though, they're so comforting to see out in the dark near my campsite. As I'm sure you've noticed they seem to prefer areas with dark soil. It is too bad that they're a nonrenewable resource, as it were.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Toaster Fu    103

I once went exploring and brought a good amount of food, that was until the bug. This bug being that my hunger would drop one point every second, let's just say it was a close one.

buttercup    71

I was starving, under attack by every spider ever, and almost dead.

And then I found a mandrake.

It was magical.

Other highlights include getting a herd of Beefaloes to attack the hounds and watching the gripping battle between a pig and the Tallbird he stupidly build his house next to.

(The Tallbird won.)

Analogue    10

I was exploring a new world with no weapons on me, as this was before the hounds were added, back when if you didn't attack anything during the day, you wouldn't get attacked. I then stumbled upon a spider nest at dusk. Well, obviously, I ran away since the spiders were just coming out. Only I then ran into another nest. And another. And another. And then four more. Eight nests in one big cluster, with the darkness encroaching. I just barely got out of range and built a quick campfire as complete darkness fell. Still the most terrifying thing that has happened to me in this game.

Needless to say, I set fire to that section of woods the next day.

jackd23    11
<A great storytelling here>

That really pulled me in, very nice. Rest in peace, Wilson (or perhaps as fertilizer on a farm).

It reminds me of my first Wilson. I was out adventuring. Eager as I was, grabbing everything I stumbled upon. It had gotten late in on day 13 and I decided to make my way home. But getting sidetracked every ounce of the way, time passed by until the sun went down. In the dusk I was still gathering seeds, and berries, and flint, and carrots, when suddenly a cold shiver went down my spine.

It would turn pitch black very Soon and the spiders started crawling about all around me already. I ran towards wherever I had set up my base and my fire pit. It finally came in sight and it was not too late, I was holding the logs to start the fire with in my hands, ready to light it up. My tense face turned from worried to relaxed, in anticipation of a warm and cozy fire. When suddenly...

Night fell. It turned pitch black from one moment to the other, just a few steps away from the pit. I must have stumbled as I could not find the fire pit anymore, not for the life of me. I fumbled around hastily, everywhere, but I could not find it. Something hit me out of the dark and hurt me pretty bad. I couldn't help but to panic, even though I tried to keep a cool head and assemble a torch real quick.

I was dragging it, and was just about to drop the torch into my hand as I was being hit from the dark, and I should never see light again. Well... yea... *sobs*

Hmmm not that big a story, but i once dropped 12 killer bee's on the floor accidentally... turned out to be quite a mess... managed to kill 4, ran away. The 8 remaining ones stopped following me afther a while and went afther some beefalo's. In the end the bee's managed to kill 3 beefalo's for me before they all died ;)

Nxf7    85
Hmmm not that big a story, but i once dropped 12 killer bee's on the floor accidentally... turned out to be quite a mess... managed to kill 4, ran away. The 8 remaining ones stopped following me afther a while and went afther some beefalo's. In the end the bee's managed to kill 3 beefalo's for me before they all died ;)

Oh man. I've probably lost over 20 bees trying to put them into chests that are already full, which automatically sets them free. Nothing is more infuriating than all that time and bug net durability wasted.